Water damaged Motorhome floor

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sweep, May 7, 2010.

1. sweep

sweep Read Only Funster

Hello everyone I'v just joined this site, :Smile:
    I was looking around for advice as I had a great shock this week ,the floor of my motor home is water damaged and I was not sure what to do I’m pretty sure it is beyond repair, bit of a bumer really. :Sad:
    Anyone else had this experience? What did you do?

Barry

2. Wintonian

Wintonian Read Only Funster

Welcome Sweep! Sorry to hear about the problem.

To what extent is the floor damaged? Can you be more specific? It may be possible to make good repairs, depending on where the damage is and the extent and nature of it.

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi it is possible to remove all lower units and replace the floor-- ask a few Swift owners circa 2005/6 who have had this done under gtee
    terry

4. sweep

sweep Read Only Funster

Thanks for your replies.
    I think the problem started at the rear on this M/h there is a vent behind the oven (which we never use) I guess it is to aid cooling, I suspect that the water came in through this vent the floor became soft in front of the oven/sink no problem I thought just treat as a delaminated floor, however the door to the living area is on the drivers side just behind the drivers seat and on Wednesday when leaving to return home from a trip I stood in the electric step to enter the M/h and it pretty much collapsed under me the bolts literally pulled through the floor so I assume that the whole floor from front to rear is affected!!
    Barry

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear of your problems. Are you able to carry out any remedial work yourself? Until you find the extent of the damage you have no idea what you are dealing with. Get it to a garage and on a ramp or over an inspection pit so you can ascess how much floor is affected. It sounds like two seperate problem areas to me. Only a detailed inspection will tell if the repair is feasible or is it a scrapper. Maybe a funster could help. If the whole floor was affected then the body would be in danger of falling off, are there any signs of movement. What age is the van, what current value if it had a good floor.

6. sweep

sweep Read Only Funster

Thanks for your comment Wildman

There is no sign of movement at all in the body when driving or parked seems firm.

I have tried a damp meter and it go's into the red wherever I test it.

The M/h is a 1999 model, I guess it would be worth around £10,000 if sound? It’s only done just over 34000 miles.

I am astounded that the only protection to the floor is a thin sheet of vinyl over flimsy plywood.

Barry

7. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Dont be astounded at how flimsey your pride and joy is. Euro motorhomes are built to a weight and thin ply floors dont weigh much.....nuff said :Doh:

8. Rainbowchaser

Rainbowchaser Read Only Funster

Hi Sweep,
    I had a similar problem. There had been some sloppy refilling of the toilet tank by the previous owner and the floor was sodden. I cut out the damage and fitted some marine ply from under the vehicle with stainless wood screws, sealing edges and surfaces with underseal. I know it's a make-do job but to replace the whole rear floor was not something I needed to get involved in. At the the last three MOT tests no comments were made and I'm happy with the repair.
    I've also gone all round the vehicle, prodding the floor and sealing any potential areas with underseal. Any holes for cables etc where water can get in have been sealed. I found that plasticine is ideal. Also good for draught sealing!

let us know how you get on ok?

Tony

9. sweep

sweep Read Only Funster

Hi Dazzer
    Interesting that you should say that they are built to a weight as I went into London last year and Boris Johnson didn’t like it as he said that my M/h was classed as being a 5.5 ton vehicle while I thought it weighed less that 3.5 tons, so I cant go into London again, as its gross laden weight is 5.5 ton! Now that is really stupid don’t you think? On a weigh bridge it is less than 3.5 ton fully laden.
    Barry

10. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Sounds like Boris has done you a favour!!! Why would anyone want to take a motorhome into London :Eeek: its bad enough on foot using the underground :Rofl1:.

If you must go into london and its never going to go any heavier than 3.5 tonnes get it downgraded and the logbook changed then he will welcome you with open arms (and an open wallet to take your congestion charge off you!!!)

11. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Sweep check if it is all the floor or just specific areas -- it does sound as if it is only bits that need replacing but either way it it NOT destined to the scrappy just yet :thumb: It is not as big a job as the big boys will have you believe.
    terry
    PS on the swifts it was down to the skirts not being sealed allowing water to run down the sides onto the floor

12. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

What he said, if you are handy with the tools take your time and ask away here as there are loads of folks who can advise or point you in the right direction.:thumb:

13. sweep

sweep Read Only Funster

Hi Dazzer

I actually only went from the M4 to Heathrow to drop off my son to catch a plane approximately 5 mile max I would think, but got my knuckles slapped as I’m a 5.5 tonner, they say.:Sad:
    But I would have liked one day to stay at the crystal palace site, but I can't now. Well not with this unit anyway.:cry:

Can you really get the gross max weight altered to comply with Boris’s bylaw?:Eeek:

Barry

14. sweep

sweep Read Only Funster

Thanks Dodgey and Terry

You might be right I will look into it and keep my fingers crossed.:thumb:

Barry

15. Terry

Terry Funster

Why would you want to :Rofl1: leave London to the imports and cockneys :Rofl1:
    terry

16. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I dont think you have a big problem, maybe two smaller ones
    The vent at the rear is there for gas safty, do not block it off,very unlikley it lets any water in.
    The door step saga is common to many motorhomes, the area gets a lot of hammer and seems almost designed to collect water and fail
    the main floor around the cooker is as you suspect just delamination and is fixable with a delamination repair kit
    drill a few test holes to judge the floors condition, before condeming it
    Geo

17. laws

laws Read Only Funster

damp floor

its very unlikely that all the floor has gone as they use marine ply ,the best way is to cut the rotting section out rebate the section back about 8 inches drop new section in and glue with pu glue ,but the sides of the van do sit on the floor hope that helps :Doh:lawson

18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

If it started around the oven area, it sounds like you may have had a sink tap leaking for some time. You cannot always see these, as they are often hidden behind the fridge/kitchen set up (depending on your lay-out)

Floors can be replaced. Where abouts in cornwall are you?

19. sweep

sweep Read Only Funster

HI I'm Near St Austell.
    will see if there is any posibility of cuting out bad parts of floor but am not sure it is as simple as this but will give it a go got nothing to lose.:thumb:

Barry

20. sweep

sweep Read Only Funster

Hi I have check for leaks from pipes but can find not, its a real mystery.:Sad:
    barry