Water cap (1 Viewer)

R

RogerD

Deleted User
No matter how I try I cannot lock my water cap, the dealer did it OK, but no matter what I do I cannot lock it. Is there a knack or is it knackered::bigsmile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
No matter how I try I cannot lock my water cap, the dealer did it OK, but no matter what I do I cannot lock it. Is there a knack or is it knackered::bigsmile:

:Smile: Hi RogerD. Is the WHOLE of the lock turning? It's usually the cause of failing to catch on correctly. :winky:

OP
OP
R

RogerD

Deleted User
No just the middle, it seems locked but you remove the key and it is still unlocked and just twists open

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: In that case? Try turning the lock further around. My Dethleffs has a problem that you need to turn it in a certain way. 2 locks on the Gas locker both in different positions. Perhaps a photo of your lock may help us to sort it for you? :whatthe:

motoroamin

Free Member
Aug 12, 2007
North Notts
Funster No
MH
As available
Exp
Involved with Caravans and Motorhomes over 15 years
If its the usual type fitted to most brit and european motorhomes, the lock is only designed to turn 90 degrees.

Difficult to describe the process, but here goes:

You should be able to offer the cap onto the housing and it will turn about 90 degrees clockwise to locate on the housing, and stop. Insert the key and turn the key only 90degrees clockwise and withdraw. You should now be able to turn the cap clockwise without it coming off.

Note: turning the cap anticlockwise when locked often results in the cap coming off - the retaining lugs are soft plastic and will not stand up to any real force. The fact is that the 'lock' is more of a visual deterent than a physical one.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Some of the water caps are notoriously cheap and nasty - the one on our new Adria failed instantly, seems to be similar to the one you describe. We had a similar problem with an Autosleeper cap on our previous van. I got a new cap (eventually) from the dealer, and fitted the lock, which just slots into the middle and it seems ok now although the build quality doesn't excite......:Confused:

OP
OP
R

RogerD

Deleted User
Managed to lock it, but not sure how, :whatthe:and I haven't managed to repeat the feat yet.:eek:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
That happened with ours to Roger, may be worth getting a second cap, they don't cost much and a spare won't be too much weight or space-consuming!

Laurie

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

We have the same problem withour diesel cap, but the petrol (genny) and water caps are okay.

Laurie, how did you remove the locking barrel from the old cap? I can see a black plastic ring around the top of the barrel, but not able to suss out the removal process.

Jock.

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Total rubbish

We had these type of water caps on our last van and I purchased a replacement and that also went faulty very quickly.
I stopped locking it as it took too long and was a little hit and miss.
They are total rubbish!
If you need to lock it, I would recommend that you find a different type.
Just my opinion:Smile:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi:frowny: the one on my swift a pain to get off espcially on a cold morning:RollEyes:

ray

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back