Water between the roof and the aluminum "walking" plates (1 Viewer)

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
I think i have to check this before something bad will happen (hope it didnt happen yet) :Blush:

Not going up the roof of our camper often but a few days ago i did. On the roof there are aluminum plates, fastened with screws, to enable walking without damaging. Those plates are about 200 cm * 150 cm.

When walking i heard some squelching sounds, which in my opinion means that there is water between the roof and the plates.

Now before taking my hands out of my pockets (sometimes it is better to keep them there because I am not a "handy man") I think it is better to have some information, which i hope you can provide. :thumb:

1. Is it normal practice to fasten those plates with sealant all over or may I expect only sealant on places were it is secured with the screws ?

2. If the plates are fastened with sealant all over how do I remove those plates without damaging the roof itself or bending the plates ?

3. If the roof is damaged what is the best way to proceed ?

4. When returning the plates, should i fasten them with sealant all over or should i only sealant those places were the screws are situated ?

Now it may well be that i have overlooked something important which i have to consider before starting. If so Please.......

Thanks in advance for your reactions

Paul and Ineke

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Paul,

I would have thought just Sikaflex sealent would have been more than enought to fix the plates down. To get them off I would suggest using cheese wire to minimise any damage, but you will have to be careful.
When you put them back on make a circle around the outside of each screw hole with Sikaflex and another bead in from the edge of the plate with a few cross hatchings across. Put a bit of sealent on each screw and once screwed down cap the screw off with a dab on top. For belt and braces put a bead all around the outside edge of the plate.

Good luck:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Onderweg

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Had the roof checked for moisture today and nothing found.

They explained that the plates are not sealed all over but on certain places so water between the plate and the roof it self is normal.

Paul and Ineke

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Oh good that is a really fine result, I am so happy you have not got to strip off the plates .Cheers Rob :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul I would still follow Diabalo 's advise :thumb:Never take it for granted that the screw holes will not leak :Eeek: Stick them straight down with sikaflex type adhesive
terry
Water in between will freeze ,expand , causing leaks eventualy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Now before taking my hands out of my pockets (sometimes it is better to keep them there because I am not a "handy man") I think it is better to have some information, which i hope you can provide. :thumb:

Paul, I'm a handy-man but even I didn't try fixing the whole roof when it became apparent that I had a real problem.

See our family blog: Link Removed

Make sure you're totally dry, if you do have a leak it's going to cost you big time.

Rog

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back