Watched A Motorhome Drive Onto The A41 Carriage Way With A Flat Tyre

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by MikeD, Jun 5, 2015.

1. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Beeped the driver and shouted that he had a totally flat rear tyre but he carried on :(
    Around 4.30pm today probably headed for the M25

Hope they are ok

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

See it very often!
    Loads of people drive on regardless with underinflated tyres. You can feel the extra rolling resistance as you drive!
    I wonder why there are so many 'sudden' blowouts?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Did the best you could :(
    Hopefully all ok.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

The reason more tyres fail at this time of year - and throughout the summer - is because that's when the outside temperature is the hottest, and when motorists are driving farther, and faster (particularly on motorways), in more heavily loaded vehicles. The combination can push a neglected or damaged tyre beyond its breaking point. Motorhome tyres tend to be at risk because many spend the winter in the same position on the driveway and this causes the side walls to crack.

Besides heat and overweight vehicles, lack of proper air pressure and, of course, impacts with obstacles will cause blow-outs.

Let's hope the A41 driver reached his destination safely. Well done, @MikeD, you couldn't have done any more.

• Like Like x 2
  5. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

If that driver did not know he or she had a flat he or she should not be driving. We live on a semi main road and the amount of idiots that drive on flat or semi flat tyres would astound you. You can hear the tyre scraping along the road 100 mtrs away

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

• Like Like x 2
  6. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

a motorhome driver from the dark side.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Agreed.

With any luck not only was the tyre wrecked but the expensive (hopefully alloy) wheel as well.

A bit of serious expense may make them more aware in future.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I found out I had driven about 5 miles on a totally flat rear only when I got out to get diesel

That is the problem with a tag !! As soon as I got home ( after re-inflation I might add ! ) I organised a set of tyre pals so I have a visual check on pressures while travelling

• Like Like x 2
  9. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Another Tyrepal convert best piece of safety kit I have bought and mine is not a tag. So impressed intend buying a set for the car.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

I was sitting on Holyhead Promenade a couple of weeks ago when I got a knock on the window: "Think you've got a flat tyre mate". I'd checked them all 2 days previously so said "no" but got out to look at it.

"It's carrying quite a load" I said, "so it just looks like that." "I still think it looks flat: better get it to Tesco's and check it out." he replied.

So I pulled out my pressure gauge (carried on the key ring) and was astounded to see it was 16psi rather than 50!! Fortunately I also carry a 12V inflator, so 15mins later we were back to operating pressure.

It is very easy to criticize: wishing someone bad fortune is just nasty. - Gordon

• Like Like x 1