Watched A Motorhome Drive Onto The A41 Carriage Way With A Flat Tyre (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Beeped the driver and shouted that he had a totally flat rear tyre but he carried on :(
Around 4.30pm today probably headed for the M25

Hope they are ok

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
See it very often!
Loads of people drive on regardless with underinflated tyres. You can feel the extra rolling resistance as you drive!
I wonder why there are so many 'sudden' blowouts?

Deleted User
Beeped the driver and shouted that he had a totally flat rear tyre but he carried on :(
Around 4.30pm today probably headed for the M25

Hope they are ok
Did the best you could :(
Hopefully all ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
The reason more tyres fail at this time of year - and throughout the summer - is because that's when the outside temperature is the hottest, and when motorists are driving farther, and faster (particularly on motorways), in more heavily loaded vehicles. The combination can push a neglected or damaged tyre beyond its breaking point. Motorhome tyres tend to be at risk because many spend the winter in the same position on the driveway and this causes the side walls to crack.

Besides heat and overweight vehicles, lack of proper air pressure and, of course, impacts with obstacles will cause blow-outs.

Let's hope the A41 driver reached his destination safely. Well done, @MikeD, you couldn't have done any more.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If that driver did not know he or she had a flat he or she should not be driving. We live on a semi main road and the amount of idiots that drive on flat or semi flat tyres would astound you. You can hear the tyre scraping along the road 100 mtrs away

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I found out I had driven about 5 miles on a totally flat rear only when I got out to get diesel

That is the problem with a tag !! As soon as I got home ( after re-inflation I might add ! ) I organised a set of tyre pals so I have a visual check on pressures while travelling

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Another Tyrepal convert best piece of safety kit I have bought and mine is not a tag. So impressed intend buying a set for the car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I was sitting on Holyhead Promenade a couple of weeks ago when I got a knock on the window: "Think you've got a flat tyre mate". I'd checked them all 2 days previously so said "no" but got out to look at it.

"It's carrying quite a load" I said, "so it just looks like that." "I still think it looks flat: better get it to Tesco's and check it out." he replied.

So I pulled out my pressure gauge (carried on the key ring) and was astounded to see it was 16psi rather than 50!! Fortunately I also carry a 12V inflator, so 15mins later we were back to operating pressure.

It is very easy to criticize: wishing someone bad fortune is just nasty. - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back