Watch out for what an inverter can do (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
In Spain this summer, we bought an 800w inverter, not the most expensive pure sine wave type (whatever they are) to charge the batteries on our electric bikes; perfect!
As there was plenty of power available, I could not resist charging my little electric toothbrush. Big mistake! Apparently the shape of the sine wave does matter, well it did to my toothbrush, it destroyed it. ( later I read in the small print that this could happen)
Alan

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I cant understand that.

Genuine pure sinewave is as close as it gets to mains leccy....and you use that at home without problems.
John, Alan is saying that it wasn't the most expensive pure sine wave type.
In Spain this summer, we bought an 800w inverter, not the most expensive pure sine wave type (whatever they are)

When I charge my Braun electric shaver via a modified sine wave inverter, the charge never lasts as long as a mains charge, but other than that, it seems to work okay.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Modified or Quasi-sine wave inverters: i.e. not pure sine wave models, can cause havoc with inductive motors and devices. As you have found out, electric toothbrushes are charged by inductive coupling and don't like square waves. This also applies to other devices that have 'contactless' charging. I have also read that quasi-sine wave inverters can destroy expensive hair tongs (e.g. GHD).

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
In Spain this summer, we bought an 800w inverter, not the most expensive pure sine wave type (whatever they are) to charge the batteries on our electric bikes; perfect!
As there was plenty of power available, I could not resist charging my little electric toothbrush. Big mistake! Apparently the shape of the sine wave does matter, well it did to my toothbrush, it destroyed it. ( later I read in the small print that this could happen)
Alan
I suspect that the inverter is NOT as described. Pure sine wave is exactly the same as mains power. Cooking the toothbrush can only point to it being modified not pure.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ah yes I see now (red wine must have muddied the thought from vision process).
I thought it meant a cheaper pure sine wave. Doh

So did I, Jock must be on Alans wave length

(did you see what I did there) :):)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Big mistake! Apparently the shape of the sine wave does matter, well it did to my toothbrush, it destroyed it. ( later I read in the small print that this could happen)
Alan

Anything very small is in danger from the rough treatment handed out by big cheap inverters. Their tiny capacitors and suppressors can't absorb the spikes created by the crude waveform.

300W pure sine way here.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We used to have a teacher we called Sine Wave, he had one leg a bit shorter than the other and couldn't draw a straight line across the blackboard.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Do you remember those experiments at school where you (or teacher :sleep:) moved a magnet in a coil of wire, magically producing electricity? (It went under the heading of "electro-magnetic induction" - work it out!)

The faster you changed the magnetic field, the bigger the voltage produced.

This lesson will probably have led to a discussion of the transformer, where a changing voltage (in the primary coil) creates a changing magnetic field which creates a changing voltage (in the secondary coil).

The inverter provides electrical power to the "charging base": it produces a changing magnetic field which links to the device: a coil inside the device produces the electricity to charge (or fry) the internal battery.

When sinusoidal changing fields are applied, you get sinusoidal voltage changes. However, if you use a wave which suddenly change the field (eg triangular-shaped, or even worse, square shaped) then you get a sudden, large change in voltage (in the secondary).

This is what fries your toothbrush/hair-tongs or, as stated earlier, any "charged by induction" device.

SIMPLES :whistle: - Gordon

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Thank you Gordan, most enlightening for those who know about things like that. I think I too may have been a bit enlightened but Sangria does it better.

Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back