Waste water reading wrong

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by SteveB123, May 17, 2016.

1. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

I have a 2014 Autotrail and the waste water tank is reading half full when it is empty. Any advice appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Probably needs a clean, or just get used to it :) Ours reads a quarter full when it's empty :)

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Dirty probes are the usual cause.. they work by conduction current though the liquid.. if they get dirty they can show a false level..

wash out the tank and if possible clean the probes.

They are generally mounted in the top of the tank.. can normally be unscrewed for cleaning, some are individual probes others can be on a cap

this drawing shows them mounted on the side of the tank'

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Take no notice of it.
    Even after cleaning the probes they will only get covered in crud and slime again.

When water won't go down the shower plughole the tank is full....time to empty.

• Like Like x 2
  5. laurieash

laurieash Funster

Mine has never worked properly from new 2013 autotrail.
    just ignore, when used all my fresh water I know that the waste needs emptying.

• Like Like x 3
  6. robnchris

robnchris Funster

We also have a 2013 Autotrail, the Sargent readout over the door is a waste of space, we are on our third and it pretty much reads what it feels like, the fresh water level is spurious at best, some of the temp readings are amazing, it won`t even keep a time setting so we have just learnt to ignore it.

7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Like @pappajohn .. once the fresh waters gone .. the waste tanks nearly full

8. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

$hit on the sensor..... (y)

I don`t mean that`s what you have to do.... :lipssealed: :giggler:

But I suspect grease or summat that has been chucked down the sink has stuck to it.. :nod:

Chuck a bottle of cheap steralizing fluid in the tank and leave over night.. (y)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. rupert

rupert Funster

hi on my AT there are two settings for waste level but only one sensor.
    the sensor is a small float fitted into the side of tank near the top easy to remove by loosening the large plastic nut. this nut squeezes the soft rubber sleeve and forms a seal .
    take it out and clean... the control panel can be configured to indicate one or two sensors.
    when panel shows waste level, hold setting button down for five seconds and it will display alternative sensor. hope you understand. mine is a 2004 model
    fresh water has the five sensors

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. WillH

WillH Funster

The waste water level indicators are not very sophisticated, ignore them. After using your van for a while you get a grasp on how much water is in the FW tank and the WW tank and treat them as required. After all, you know how much is in the FW tank, you put it there, you also put all the WW in that tank. As one empties, the other fills.

11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

(Here we go).......Just run around with the tap half open.........:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  12. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Just leave the Grey waste valve open. Sorted.:)

• Like Like x 2
  13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You irresponsible swine, go on kill bikers, destroy the eco system, make the ozone hole bigger, think of all the starving kids in Africa.

14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Well, they could all run after the van if they wished......(y)

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Probably just me.. being a pedant but it was also my trade.. instrumentation.. so not working irks me.. just my training, it's ingrained.

if it has a level gauge I want it to work.. and yes it's not sophisticated.. if you want sophisticated you need to install an ultrasonic transmitter .. but then you need to learn how to calibrate using a 4 -20ma calibrator.. why KISS is better for motorhome tank level.

After cleaning it will last a season or more.. besides, don't put fat and grease into the grey tank and it won't foul up.. cleaned mine last April and it's still fine..

By all means ignore.. your prerogative. the OP asked advice how to get it working..

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

One of the BIG let downs to the Sargent systems is without doubt the random number generator they call a control panel !!
    I have had three so far ( through the trade and at no cost ) .. Three slightly different variations..
    All kept good time, all displayed a battery voltage between .2 and .4 volts down, all displayed both fresh and waste water levels at what ever the time of day/week it was being looked at ( in other words not exactly useful or meaningful information ! )

Again, I believe the problems and issues are all down to a massively over complicated system and having taken a couple apart, a failure to use high stab resistors, pee poor chip sockets and cheap capacitors meaning to some extent the temperature ( both ambient and within the units ) and voltage regulation is far from great.

I would say it really is a shame as the basic design is very sound and most of the major ( non discrete ) components are pretty darned good

17. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

It irritates me that connected to the 'sophisticated' control panel is the same old unreliable stuff that has been used since Adam was a lad. The posh panels are simply another layer of unreliability. Like the AES fridge contrioller.

18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ours only gives an alarm when it's full, it's only gone off once so I know it works. I always empty the grey whenever I can, because although I travel with a full water tank whenever possible, I don't see the point in transporting a load of dirty water.

19. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Agreed. Our old Hymer control panel came out of a Sopwith Camel, but works fine! (y) Never gives a false reading. Also, we have a low fresh water sensor rod fitted in the water tank, with a warning light, but I think that's an after-market thing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's because you lost the key to wind it up.