Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I have a a bit of a stinky problem! :Blush:

There's been an eggy stench in the van since last weekend, which I have been blaming on the loo (or more precisely, those who used it despite to large [HI]RED[/HI] indicator to the left of the bowl!!!)

The thetford is now empty and fresh as a daisy. So this morning I have discovered the true culprit when the shower tray began filling with stinky water from the plughole.

It would appear the waste tank to the tap is blocked somewhere.

Can I run something like sink unblocker through it to clear?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If its the waste tap that's blocked I find a wire coat-hanger straightened out and carefully roded normally clears it. Then pour plenty of boiling water down all plugholes to clear it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I've unscrewed the tap - that's all clear. The blockage must be further upstream.

Throwing boiling water down it's neck is a good idea though. I just filled the sink with cold water and pulled the plug hoping it clear the pipe.

Worst bit was, I had to unscrew the big drain plug form the waste tank and retreat fast! Bad smells!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the smell sulfur dioxide is from the decomposing detritus in the waste (Grey) water tank and is usually noticeable straight after draining the tank. Err you have drained the tank haven't you. The way to avoid blockages, smell etc is to wipe dirty plates etc with kitchen towel before washing and using strainer in the sink.
Water coming back up the shower tray is not unusual when your Grey tank is darn near full, after all the difference in level between the bottom of the shower tray and top of the waste tank is only a few MM usually. Orange juice, or cheap coke poured down the sink will help break down the detritus. then frequent use will help keep it clear, a sink plunger will help clear blockages IF you remember to put the shower drain plug in and hold it down whilst you plunge the sink.follow this with plenty of hot water to break down any soap deposits. Washing hair in the sink or shower is the main cause of a blockage as the stray hair give soap something to settle on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Washing hair in the sink or shower is the main cause of a blockage as the stray hair give soap something to settle on.

Haha! Hair is not something I have to worry about! ::bigsmile:

I normally run home with the waste tap open, so had assumed the tank to be empty - which is why I was surprised this morning when the shower tray filled up, and the waste overflow was piddling under in the van!

Tank is now empty. And my hand still stinks from being caught in the deluge :helptitanic:

The coke idea sounds good I shall give that a try.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
ok then tis a simple job, says he with fingers crossed. The outlet to the grey tank is blocked, either the tap is not really open or sludge has built up. wire will clear it a bit, or of you have a hose you could reverse flush it.

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Might not solve your immediate problem but......

Unscrew that big drain cap that you unscrewed before. Fit a garden spray/jet nozzle to a garden hose and poke it up through the big drain hole. The drain hole will have a substantial lip so you'll be ok.
Turn the nozzle to jet and give the interior of the tank a rollicking good jet wash on all surfaces. As soon as the water starts to overflow from the drain hole lip open the normal drain valve and empty. You'll have to repeat this several times to clear all the accumulated gunk. This will eliminate most of the smell problem and keep the level indicator working too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
All done now hopefully.

I have rodded. I have reverse jetted. I have boiling watered.

All the gunk seems to be out now and the tap is flowing again. And no more eggies.

Thanks for all the tips ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I find the best way to keep the grey waste tank clean is to part fill the empty tank with 5 - 10 litres of clean water before a reasonable journey.
While travelling the slime & sludge gets well mixed up and then drain the tank as soon as you stop.
......result nice clean tank .... although you will still have to clean the waste pipes occasionally.:thumb:
Brian

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And perhaps give a thought to our two wheeled friends, when you next think about dripping greasy waste all over the road:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
before leaving home on a trip, and with an empty tank, stick in a couple of gallons of water and a couple of cups of Thetford blue...or similar....down the plughole with a funnel, don't get it on the sink surface...it WILL stain it.

might not clear a pipe blockage, but if it can dissolve shit and toilet paper it can dissolve the crud in the tank while being sloshed around driving.

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
before leaving home on a trip, and with an empty tank, stick in a couple of gallons of water and a couple of cups of Thetford blue...or similar....down the plughole with a funnel, don't get it on the sink surface...it WILL stain it.

might not clear a pipe blockage, but if it can dissolve shit and toilet paper it can dissolve the crud in the tank while being sloshed around driving.

I firmly beleive that urine not 'loo blue' is the great dissolver in the cassette.

Now, I'm not advocating peeing down the sink but..........:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
When you get your tank empty before you travel put bio wash liquid down the sink and a gallon of hot water it will slosh about and clean your tank as you travel

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Haha! Hair is not something I have to worry about! ::bigsmile:

I normally run home with the waste tap open, so had assumed the tank to be empty - which is why I was surprised this morning when the shower tray filled up, and the waste overflow was piddling under in the van!

Tank is now empty. And my hand still stinks from being caught in the deluge :helptitanic:

The coke idea sounds good I shall give that a try.

And perhaps give a thought to our two wheeled friends, when you next think about dripping greasy waste all over the road:RollEyes:

I certainly do not and would not drain the tank on to any roadway Geo.....I park over a drain when we arrive home.
I beleive Geo's comment was aimed at Jimothy..the original poster above :Doh:

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
i had the same smell coming up from the shower tray although not the water - i now use a small drop of blue loo regularly in the waste tank this has stopped the problem completely.
initially i put it down every drain that leads to the tank to disolve everything.
and like someone else said i blasted the hose pipe up the waste outlet.
all sorted now in my duetto.

i think i will try the cheap washing machine gel as mentioned some where else on this site if that works for the toilet then should be good for the tank.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bio wash liquid works well in the grey water tank and pipes. Pour a cupful down the kitchen sink followed by hot water. Be extremely careful pouring boiling water into plastic sinks or shower trays as they are easily cracked. Not only that, I have seen water spurt back out the plug hole when a drain is blocked and you release a pocket of gas in the pipe.

the perfect tool for "rodding" motorhome waste pipes is an old fashioned net curtain wire. Its stiff enough to push through the crud and grease but flexi enough for going round all but the tightest bends in pipes. Wire coathangers are good but too stiff and can puncture the flexi pipes

Upvote 0

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Water taps open on a moving vehicle not going t be able to condone that behaviour, but at least you got the blockage sorted.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I know that people use all sorts of different 'recipes' for their Grey tanks,but Thetford do make a product specifically for this purpose.I think it's called 'Grey waste Freshener' or something like that.
When we bought our van the grey waste tank had a black coating on the inside-I have used Thetfords grey waste freshener for 3 yrs and the inside of the tank is now totally devoid of the black coating it had.
I usually pour 'The Product' down both sinks,either when they start to drain slowly,if I notice any odour from them or after about 3 weeks on the road.I add it when tank is about half full and just before we drive to a new destination,it then gets a good sloshing around until we arrive at a location where we can drain the tank.

Mike.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
:ROFLMAO: oh dear, this post really has just descended to the gutter :ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry about dribbling the bit of waste as I trundle off - I saw other MHs doing it (little wet rivers leaving site!) the times I've been out and thought that was the done thing.

No more dribbling for me if it's a no-no :Smile:

At least my tap is now unblocked ::bigsmile:

Jamie.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Had the smelly problem with our MH and blamed the loo as well. Then realised it was coming from the grey water tank.

Solved the problem with a weak solution of bleach down all of the drain holes (careful to avoid splashes and staining of sinks etc), followed about half an hour later with lots of clean hot water. Drained the tank (at home) and haven't had any smells since.
We are also very careful about wiping plates, pans etc before washing them and we strain the washing up water to avoid "lumps" blocking the pipes.

If on site, use their washing up facility. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back