Waste pipes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by poppys, Oct 28, 2013.

1. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

What do you use to keep your waste pipes clear as the w/pipes on my flipup bathroom sink is blocked and Im unable to get at it.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've been using Buster Kitchen Sink Fresh for a while but noticed that they have changed the range. They now have two Sink Sanitisers, one gel and one granule.

I should think the granule one is closest but haven't tried it as I still have a couple of bottles off the previous stuff. Before I do, though, I'm going to compare the ingredients to one of those oxy type washing powders because I think the base is pretty similar.

3. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Use an old fashioned plunger, always keep one in the van, works everytime.

4. busby

busby Funster

It wont work with a tip up sink because there is not a plug hole. The water tips into a trough at the rear of sink... waste pipe is connected to trough.BUSBY:Smile:

5. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

Thanks for the replies, the Buster Unblocker looks like the thing that I need ,but Im worried that it may damage the plastic in the truough.

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I used the Sink Fresh after seeing a trial report in a magazine but I've always been wary of using the Unblocker for the same reason. If the Sanitiser won't work then maybe something from Fenwicks range will do it. It might even be worth having a go with cheap cola because that is supposed to work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phill D

Phill D

as most of the pipes are of a plastic carefull with any type of cleaner that can eat your pipes.... if you do a good flushing is in order:Wink:

8. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Pipes

What are they getting blocked up with? Can you prevent it? For example a "hair catcher" on the shower sink plug hole?

Russell

9. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

Just been out to the van with a length of plastic coated garden wire and threaded it down the trough and into the pipe, the water then went down. then poured a can of coke down there. I will also carry on looking for a safe product to use.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I have used Elsan Grey Water Tank Fresh for 3 yrs now-it has removed a black film from the inside of the grey tank and,if a sink starts to empty slowly then some sloshed down the plug hole has sorted it every time.
    Mike

11. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

A good hot Vindaloo keeps my waste pipes clear:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  12. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

We have also used grey water tank fresh, but mostly just put milton or similar down and have never had a problem. Every time we drain the tank we put some down and it also keeps the tank sweet smelling!!

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

soap scum is the biggest culprit in convoluted pipes, followed by hair which sticks to the soap.

a kettle of just boiled water down the plughole, or in this case the trough, every couple of weeks should clear any soap scum

14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

be VERY careful with boiling water in the plastic trough and plastic pipes. ive seen a caravan sink split when a kettle of boiling water was poured in. also the convoluted pip is normally just sush fit with a rubber gromet. these pop apart if theres a blockage and the hot water softens the joint

as for milton, its just hydrogen peroxide bleach really diluted. dont leave in contact with stainless steel sinks or chromed plugholes as it will burn through. thats why you never use it to sterilise water systems containing a truma boiler (use white vinegar instead)

the best thing to use is a bio type cleaner and warm water. coke will shift a mild blockage but no hope if the whole pipe is full of soap and crud. the only real solution is stripping out the pipe and either cleaning or replacing with smooth bore pipes. be aware though the soap scum and hair etc really stinks

we put a cupful of cheap bio washing liquid down the sinks each month to prevent buildup and nasty smells

• Like Like x 2
  15. Granjan

Granjan Funster

You could try using liquid soap instead of bars much less scum...maybe a bit more expensive but much easier to keep the sink/shower clean etc Husband doesnt leave much hair either! :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. coffeeroffey

coffeeroffey Funster

Pour bicarbonate of soda into the part where the water drains then add some ordinary vinegar and stand by for a reaction!!, :Eeek: After a few minutes pour fairly hot (not boiling water) down the hole. I do this every few weeks and have never had any probs with slow running waste pipes.

17. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the replies : I recently had a leak on my Truma boiler ,which was a hole on the internal tank,I wonder if this is due to my use of Milton.The pipes and tank also get a regular dose of liquid washing soap and we are very careful not to allow any solids to go down any of the plug holes.When I first got my van I had trouble with the sink waste water running away,which was cured buy rerouting the pipe which was routed to go up after the plughole. Im wondering if the blockage that Ive had on the flipup sink in the bathroom is also cause by the same thing, ie bad routing. As for replacing the pipe, this is a big job, the connection to the sink trough is totally inaccessible. I will get there in the end ,with a little help from my friends.

18. pamella

pamella Read Only Funster

i keep a bottle of aldi clothes wash liquid in our MH and every time we go away i will squeeze it down aLL 3 plug holes then pour several kettles of not quite boiling water down each one.

19. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

waste pipe

Taking a leak on your Trauma boiler seems a little extreme; and ours is in a low level cupboard under the wardrobe, so you'd have to be a limbo dancer to pull that one off :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2