Washing without a hose

Discussion in 'Motorhome Detailing' started by Zigisla, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I do not have access to a garden hose, which means also no Pressure Washer either. I am not adverse to using a bucket and sponge, but after weekend on the New Forest, the MH is filthy with caked on mud and dirt. I do have access to the jet wash at work and have been using this, but unsure if this should be continued or stopped. - Not only that it is very expensive if the Mh is particularly dirty.
    So my question is very simple, how do you wash a MH without a hose? I am off to the NEC on Fri and will be tempted with all the cleaning gadgets around and as I am weak, I can easily fall into the "buy this - All your washing worries will be gone" cons. Help and guidance needed please

2. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I find the Eastern Europeans in Tesco car park have access to hoses and pressure washers and all sorts of other car cleaning kit so I usually just let them get on with it (y)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

I'd continue with the work pressure washer... Just don't get too close with it .... Bit of common sence is all that's required..(y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

No access to a hose....how do you fill the tank ?

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The ones in our Sainsbury carpark have carts with buckets and sponges......
    How many cars worth of shit and grit are in the water when they get to wash scratch your car because they certainly dont throw away the water after each car.
    I wouldnt let them near my car if they did it free and paid me.

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I get my wife to get mine done every time she goes to Sainsburys.

They seem to do a decent enough job.

Ours appear to be African rather than East European though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Er - from a tap which doesn't have a hose connected to it. Same as you would fill any kettle, jug, bucket, watering can or other fillable container. You don't have to use a hose.

The 12v pressure washer sellers always use a hosepipe ban as an advertising ploy as you don't need a hosepipe to use/fill them and some of them have a filter in so you can fill from water sources by dunking the tank.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

A pressure washer will happily draw water from a bucket ................

10. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I would rather pick my nose with a knife than clean a filthy van without the right kit.
    In short just leave it dirty till you can get near proper kit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

The jet wash at work is the type you get in a petrol station. Big silver box with lance and foam brush. I have just spent £6:00 and frequently do when returning so it is getting expensive just to just get the dirt off and no wax finish cos I run out of change. I do have a cylinder pump as above - forgot about that til I saw the ad. I think if I get that out for now I will fill it up at home, then take to work where mh is stored and use over car wash pit. Then look into 12v systems.
    If I may add to my question, which is the best fluid / shampoo and wax to spray with please? I may well order the brush as advertised in another thread about a new brush required and I will look out for some bargains at the show, but knowing me; as a salesmans dream, I can be conned into buying anything if I'm not careful / correctly advised by you guys (y):rolleyes:

12. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I give in ...................

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. NickNic

The one's I use are a proper operation - hoses, Kaercher jet washes, proper vacuum cleaners. They do my cars inside and out and make a cracking job of it.

14. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

@Charlie might I suggest you work on an age old problem instead.
    How To Polish a Turd:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. NickNic

I haven't cleaned my own cars for years and I see no reason to start now. The only reason I haven't let the Eastern Europeans do the motorhome yet is because I'm not 100% confident what will happen if they aim a jet wash at the window seals. It gets a quick once over with a hose pipe when it's getting really bad and that's it.

I can think of nothing worse than choosing to spend one second longer than absolutely necessary washing it.

16. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Obviously Zigisla has not read any posts in the detailing and valeting section. If you have to use the works pressure washer make sure that you keep the nozzle as far away from the surface of your van as possible, never stop in one place, keep it moving, if the fan is adjustable put in on wide setting, keep water away from seams and fridge vents. In my opinion your best course wold be the 12 volt washers with tank as taking your van to the supermarket is asking for trouble. I have seen some awful results of using these guys, such as graphics ruined, fridges full of water etc. They may know what they are doing with cars but motor homes are completely different.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

That is the snag. The right kit involves a hose. I need an alternative to a hose fed procedure or the jet wash.

18. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I have read all the threads on washing using a pressure washer I don't have access to a pressure washer the "works pressure washer" is a car jet wash system not a hose fed pressure washer

19. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I would use the work pressure washer if it is particularly mucky and gritty, but I would just try to swill the heavy soiling off and then bucket and brush, or bucket and lambs wool cleaning mit at home is the van isn't too big.

I do second the take care with the pressure washer comments though.

I know there is a proper way to clean/valet/detail a car or motorhome but some people just want a reasonable and practical solution, we aren't all driving show vehicles but we do want a clean vehicle.

Martin

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. chaser

chaser Funster

• Funny Funny x 1