washing tablet's and toilet's (1 Viewer)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
General advice re septic tanks is not to use bio washing powder/liquid/gel or any other bio detergents or if you must use them very, very sparingly as they can upset the bacteria that enable the septic tank to work. I suspect that if a lot of people are putting ordinary loo chemicals or bio washing stuff down the drains on campsites with septic tanks they could potentially cause problems for the site owners.

We only use green (eco) toilet fluid and Ecover washing products. Same goes for shampoo etc to prevent problems.

If you have a septic tank at home your washing machine empties into the drains so what's the difference?

Anyway, if it's bio I understand that wont harm any thing, isn't that the whole idea of anything being biological?

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I though this thread was a long time gone down the septic pit and well flushed away:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not all sewage tanks are septic.. some are just tanks that have to be pumped out every few months or so..

my friends CL just has a tank.. he don't care what you put in.. but would rather you dumped grey in the hedge .. as it costs a a few hundred pounds to have it pumped out..

How can you tell if it is septic tank ... or just a tank ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you dont empty septics they should have bacteria in them to eat the solids and clean water comes out .
best not to have washing machines going into either system . better to have them on land drains .
old systems are usually a two tanked system solids in first section then liquids in second . its a through flow . modern ones its a mushroom tank. cess pits usually need emptying .
keep putting washing machines and dish washer into a septic very often changes it to cesspit . then it costs money.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Septic tanks do need de-sludging every few years. We've had ours done once in 10 years so far, it will probably need doing again soon.

I put bio-liquid in ours and it hasn't done any harm as far as I know but some things are definitely not safe for septics.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
you dont empty septics they should have bacteria in them to eat the solids and clean water comes out .
best not to have washing machines going into either system . better to have them on land drains .
old systems are usually a two tanked system solids in first section then liquids in second . its a through flow . modern ones its a mushroom tank. cess pits usually need emptying .
keep putting washing machines and dish washer into a septic very often changes it to cesspit . then it costs money.
when we had our septic tank fitted our Gray water went to a soke a way
part of the system it then works on different bacteria to brake down the Gray water deposits
it worked well and still dues 25 year later the peep that live in that house are family

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Septic tanks do need de-sludging every few years. We've had ours done once in 10 years so far, it will probably need doing again soon.

I put bio-liquid in ours and it hasn't done any harm as far as I know but some things are definitely not safe for septics.

having been a sewage tanker driver and working in sewage farms i would say that septics if working properly dont need emptying or have any sludge took out . its possible you have too much water going throug or the wrong detergents etc being used . i know some that have never been emptied or had anything done to them in over 50 yrs .
there are lots round here in the country . i have one in my garden .
unfortunately the previous owner went on main sewage just a few years before i bought this place . daft idea really . would be better not to have had it done .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
having been a sewage tanker driver and working in sewage farms i would say that septics if working properly dont need emptying or have any sludge took out . its possible you have too much water going throug or the wrong detergents etc being used . i know some that have never been emptied or had anything done to them in over 50 yrs .
there are lots round here in the country

We share ours with several other houses so not a lot of chance of controlling what goes in :winky:. The instructions that came with the tank when it was installed say it has to be desludged every 6 years so that is what is done. It doesn't cost much when shared between us all and a lot cheaper than mains sewerage charges.

Soakaways are of limited use here due to the ground conditions and high water table. Dig a hole and it tends to fill with water rather than the water soak away!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
As OP we've gone back to the blue stuff.
Tried Bio bloody awful then tried different tablets others recommended none of it was as good as the blue so we're sticking to that from now on.

As for sceptic tanks they definitely do need emptying every few years. The theory may well be they don't but the reality is they do. Lived at our last house 22 years and had the tank desludged about 4 times. My mate has his own tanker and that's his biggest source of work emptying sceptic tanks. :Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
like i said if too much of the wrong liquids go in a septic it becomes a cesspit .
carefully managed they work perfect . i prefer the two stage block or brick built ones . plus they do have to be rather large . as modern appliances have been used more and more it has messed many a good septic up. even the emptying can spoil them as it removes good bacteria . sometimes good shit needs to be put back in to a septic to start it off again .
many campsites round here have their own sewage works but i very often had to reseed a sewage works . bad management can cost them thousands of pounds to get the sewage farm working again .

bigal55

Free Member
May 22, 2014
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
We use the Aldi bio liquid which works well. And cheap :thumb::thumb:

Hi all i use ldyl, just put it to the ulitmate test. away for 4 days own facilities, got phone call "if you can be i hospital tomorrow you can have your knee replacement tomorrow instead of1 mth, straight home, knee done next day. emptied the toilet yesterday 4wks fermentation, wifes front of house, stil smelt of laundry.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back