washing tablet's and toilet's (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Nope the washer tablets don't work for me phewwwww so back to the blue stuff and a sweet smelling toilet

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Try Sainsburys cheapest bio laundry powder. I use a 1 cup baking measure and there is never any smell. When emptying I can just smell laundry powder.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
As a newbie with a new van and reading many many threads decided not to risk it. We have used dometiq new tablets ( which admittedly look like dishwasher tablets) - not a single smell, not even a chemical clean one. Will be sticking with them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Our soon to be new (to us) van has a sog system fitted. Do you need to put anything in the cassette with this system?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our soon to be new (to us) van has a sog system fitted. Do you need to put anything in the cassette with this system?

Yes, unless you have a strong stomach in my experience. There should be no smell during normal use as the fan draws any smell away. The problem for me came when you have to empty it!

I use Tesco biological washing liquid. Two capfuls is ideal, especially when it is hot, but try one capful first and see how you get on.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Lidi sell Formil tablets and liquid which many MH's find works well, and that's what we use, and it's available all over Europe.

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
Yes we only use a cap full of cheap bio just to make it a bit nicer when emptying with the Sog fitted , mind you we mainly only do tids in it :thumb:

Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
We use the Aldi bio liquid which works well. And cheap :thumb::thumb:
I use Lidl bio powder tabs, I just break one packet (2 tabs) up & there is never any smell, & believe me, after a session on the Guinness................. need I say more.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just so I fully understand - people use cheap bio washing tabs/liquids in the loo? Do you then just flush with plain old water? Do you put a couple of litres of water in with the tab/liquid to start it off or something?

The loo cartridge in our van is so horrible and old that I have ordered a new replacement. Should I start doing this now, from new. Does it really not smell at all?! Amazing!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
went out and got sum good old formaldehyde blue stuff I have tried the washing powder tabs dose not work for me :Eeek:pewwww

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
the formaldehyde kills the bacteria in our septic tank, adding a massive bill every year. It should be banned.

that's why when on sites with tanks we only use washing powder and blue flush if we can empty regular
when out on the road we find that empting twice a day is not possible so will use the blue stuff when we only can empty every second or third day
:thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Yes, unless you have a strong stomach in my experience. There should be no smell during normal use as the fan draws any smell away. The problem for me came when you have to empty it!

I use Tesco biological washing liquid. Two capfuls is ideal, especially when it is hot, but try one capful first and see how you get on.

Assuming that the liquid acts as a deodorant, coupled with a SOG (thinking about one), does that give the best of both worlds?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Assuming that the liquid acts as a deodorant, coupled with a SOG (thinking about one), does that give the best of both worlds?

You certainly do get a nice smell when emptying it but I think the stuff acts as more than a deodorant as the smell isn't the usual poo and wee smell with added perfume. The bio action seems to inhibit the whiff producing bugs as well.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
They still pong when you empty em whether you use loo blue loo green or Formil Bio.

However using Formil the cassette doesn't scale up half as quickly as with expensive special stuff!

A strongish solution of Formil and enough HOT water to half fill it when you come home, and leave it to soak, turning the cassette from time to time, also actually removes the scale and crud far far better than eg Thetford Cassette Cleaner. And of course, it's considerably cheaper.

The first time I cleaned the cassette we were amazed at how much brown scale came out - so if you suffer from terminal pong, I should try that as soon as possible and see if it improves things!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OXYGEN.....

breakdown of sh!t requires oxygen and bacteria and bio powders release oxygen.....the nice smell is a bonus.

in our last cassette toilet we used Oxy-clean washing powder

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We are using DAZ laundry tablets, got a box of them from Buyoligy near the Par Market, under £2:thumb:, nice smell when emptying, no smell when using:roflmto:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry but we have always found the bio tablets to be well er crappy as they need warm water to dissolve. liquid or powder easily distribute around the contents and eat the bacteria up. chemically the new blue loo liquid is very similar anyway, since formaldehyde products were banned a while back.

as for a sog, stupid amount of money for a switch and a computer fan. worst part being the smell of your shit gets blown out on your neighbours as they sit outside having breakfast etc. sure theres less stink inside but it has to go somewhere but maybe not to be antisocial on a campsite or rally meet. at least by using bio liquid, it masks the smell a bit

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We use Tesco bio washing liquid - it certainly works; the smell only starts if I do not add enough - we normally start with 1 cap full and top up as the cassette gets fuller. We managed 4 days with 4 of us just using it for no. 2s and watering the plants outside when having no. 1s - as soon as the smell started, we added more washing liquid and the smell went. The emptying process was almost smell free.

We normally add enough water into the cassette to give about 1 inch covering of the bottom and add the washing liquid.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

NO! ... don't waste cash on chemicals, just empy it as often as you like.
You can empty it anywhere even septic tanks where chemicals are not welcome.

Hope you enjoy your new M/h.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You certainly do get a nice smell when emptying it .........

They still pong when you empty em ......

Well, that cleared that up nicely! :shout::Doh:

So do we use the bio wash powder/liquid/tabs etc with just plane water flush or with pink liquid?

Can we use any old loo paper, or are you supposed to buy special stuff for chemical loos?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back