Washing Clothes.....

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by St piran, Jun 22, 2015.

1. St piran

St piran Read Only Funster

Can anyone give us some tips on keeps a supply of clean clothes whilst traveling.

Hot water or cold water?
    Soap powder or nothing?
    Drying when weather is poor?

What are the outside laundries like - The ones you see at French supermarkets?

Many thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

we use washing liquid from lidl.
    works atreat in our twuntub .
    doesnt every one have a washing machine in their camper . hee hee .
    local laundry is too expensive for us .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

cold water plus cold water bio powder, half fill a bucket insert washing then fix lid. Stand it in the shower tray before driving to the next site, then empty and rinse. Wring out and hang to dry. Failing that find a laundromat, but simple enough to take sufficient for 3 weeks at a time anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jezport

jezport Funster

• Like Like x 4
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We bought a copper Posser at an antique shop in Stratford last week. Works a treat. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes , i have an ally posser came from germany . that and a big rino bucket works a treat . if you have spare room a mangle off ebay helps . over the years have had washboards . single tub machines . used laundries , could almost start a museum . ha ha .
    nice acme wringer with stand . takes big sheets etc.

• Like Like x 2
  7. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

We've just spent three weeks in France (still here) and have used 2 camp sites in that time, both had washers and dryers.
    So that's what we do, wait till we stink then pop into a site and clean up:D(y)

• Like Like x 8
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have aprox 6 weeks worth of clothes. I do a laundrette run once a month usually but can stretch it a bit. In emergencies I have a twin tub in the back of the van but that is a lot of work.

9. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I take 3 spare pair of undies. That sees me safely through 4 weeks :)

• Like Like x 12
  10. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Man your posh ,I don't even have 3 pairs of undies , I just borrow the wife's anyhow:love:
    mind you with a kilt I don't need any(y)

• Like Like x 12
  11. iandsm

iandsm Funster

When in France the larger Intermarche or Super U stores have laundry facilities. The machines are larger (up to 18gk ) and more efficient than those on sites and they're cheaper too. So every 10 days or so, one of us does the laundry while the other does the shopping we than have lunch or a snack and by that time all is washed and dry. properly dry. Costs around 12 euro for 18 gk wash and dry.

Much cheaper than going to a site and paying for a pitch and sometimes over the top for a small machine and a dryer that isn't that good. You also have the advantage of parking within a few yards of the machines unlike on a site where you might have to lug your washing a long way from your pitch

• Like Like x 11
  12. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I read somewhere that some camp sites let pay a few Euros and then can use their showers and launderette :)

13. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I use the laundry in the town I'm in. Just like being a student. Yellow pages/Google gives the address.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We do just as iandsm does. We also take the opportunity to fill up with fuel and gas and empty everything stinky out. I've also been known to wash the van while the clothes are drying.
    We tried a campsite laundry once. Domestic washing machine that took forever to wash and dry and cost a fortune.
    If you don't need shopping, Sunday is best.

• Like Like x 1
  15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

We take enough cloths to keep us going for a couple of weeks and then visit the laundrette when we run out. Wash and tumble dry and fold away. Sometimes need 2 machines because of different wash temperatures (I am told). Much easier than this hand washing. We rarely use camp sites nowadays so we just use one in town or at a supermarket.

• Like Like x 2
  16. St piran

St piran Read Only Funster

Thanks for your time to reply.

Guess what..... we are off to the Super U store today to get some washing done lol

• Like Like x 5
  17. Oriel

Oriel

I bought an antique posser on Ebay.

My washing procedure:

I have a large tubtrug and 2 smaller ones. I use the 2 smaller ones to collect water from the site tap as I can carry them easily like a bag.

I use warm water & my usual liquid detergent in the large tub - posser the first batch of white articles, place them in spin drier (bought for under £100 from currys), spin out the soapy water into smaller trug and pour soapy water back into big trug.

Add coloured items into large trug and repeat process.

Get clean water and pour some into spinner, spin, repeat, spin and then take out. Items are really dry - more so than with an automatic machine.

I can do a fairly large wash in this way as the soapy water is recycled.

• Like Like x 4
  18. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

My god that sound like hard work. And not many of us have the room for trugs let alone a spin dryer.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Oriel

Oriel

Hi Peter,

No, it doesn't take long - I've described every step and probably given the impression that it takes ages. I do a large wash in around 20 mins.

As for space... the spin drier sits inside the large tub, the smaller ones sit inside the drier - so doesn't take up much space. I know not everyone has massive amounts of space but plenty of folk do and I thought might be interested in the way I do it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

That's pretty much how we do ours, little twin tub we've had for years and a couple of buckets does everything except really heavy towels. We have a big garage and it sits in the corner with the booze crate and bbq on top of it.
    On a 3 month or longer trip we'll occasionally use a site laundry for the heavy items or to have a big spring clean and washing day otherwise the little twin tub suffices.