Was that you emptying your Elsan over the cliff? (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am not expecting councils to offer these facilities for free, a nominal charge for water and waste discharging is quite reasonable. Britstops are not the answer as the owners really do expect you to spend money with them - otherwise why would they be in the scheme? Britstops are a partial solution as the France Passion stops are in France - where they have lots of aires. Both are needed as are campsites and CLs but these tend to be out in the sticks whereas many French aires are within walking distance of towns and villages - which is why they were put there.

Nothing wrong with that; quid pro quo. Very happy to stay somewhere and spend my money with them - just needs a bit of research beforehand. Please don't tell me that you are one of those who use Britstops and then eat and drink in the van the whole time.........

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
There are around 35 million vehicles in the UK. I wonder how many chuck litter out of the window?. I have seen a few and caught a few on my dashcam including a copper in a van next to a £2,500 warning sign for littering.

I have never seen a motorhome with crap being thrown out of the window........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nothing wrong with that; quid pro quo. Very happy to stay somewhere and spend my money with them - just needs a bit of research beforehand. Please don't tell me that you are one of those who use Britstops and then eat and drink in the van the whole time.........
No, we are not members of Britstops but are thinking about joining. What I meant was Britstops were not the complete answer to the lack of UK aires and by aires I include just plan old car parks without faciltiies where you can park up overnight after paying any reasonable charges. Grey and black waste dumping should be free as it generally (always?) is in France, otherwise folk throw it over cliffs. Which of course only water companies are allowed to do and that they use a long pipe to do it doesn't make it acceptable. :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are around 35 million vehicles in the UK. I wonder how many chuck litter out of the window?. ...

I stopped to stretch my legs coming home on the bike on the A14 last week, it was like stopping on a council tip. All manner of food/drink containers. Since these lay-bys are used a lot by HGVs I can only guess they are number one suspects.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think that if any individual town/village is prepared to pay for the facilities you speak of, then it's not such a bad idea, but to use County or District money, for the benefit of a few, can't really be justified to all tax payers.

Many, though not all, Free Aires are in places where no one would stop if they weren't there, making them a useful addition to the local community, and paid for by the same.

Local Towns and Villages should be allowed to provide Free facilities if they think it would be of benefit too them, but this should be funded entirely by themselves, not by County or District Councils.

:cooler:

Only problem with free Aires in UK , they would soon be taken up by those pleasant travellers who leave a mess everywhere whose name we mustn't mention, yes you got it p#k##s

The aire at Hawick seems to work well - and the unofficial aire in Jedburgh the same.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Was thinking of trying that one sometime; I've got a friend in Hawick who runs a limo business

Let us know if you do make it and we will come across and annoy you ..... ;)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
As a Whitby resident I have to say that I have never ever seen 37 Motorhomes parked on the West Cliff nor have I ever seen anyone empty their toilet over the cliff ! Today walking on the West cliff we only saw 2 motorhomes both legally parked with tickets on display . The only place to park overnight now seems to be in the marina car park but the size of the spaces is a bit limited . One motorhomer there said that after speaking to the traffic warden about overnighting they were told that in the morning when the warden came around again if the van had curtains open looking like it had not been slept in overnight it would be OK ......Dont take this for gospel since things may have changed ! Unfortunately Whitby is not the only place with these restrictions and like many others we would love to tour UK more but end up heading to the continent almost every time due to lack of facilities for overnight stops.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What they should be doing of course is providing proper facilities for MHs but two factors: perceived cost and the fear of "travellers" means they won't.

Sounds like a bunch of councillors have invested in campsites

I spoke to a lot of small traders in Scarborough as the council was voicing its idea to ban the overnight parking of motorhomes. They did not want the ban they appreciated the money that they brought in, especially during the winter and out season times when caravans, tent campers etc were not there.

We used to go to Scarborough on a regular basis but once the council got arsey I said Fwck you and we don't go there. Fylde council had a problem in StAnnes. They solved it very simply by introducing paid overnight parking in a designated car park. Problem solved. Plus its a damn site nicer in StAnnes than Scarborough. We go there a lot now so I suppose I should thank Scarborough for pointing out that its a S#it Hole compared to StAnnes.

Its not the motorhomers that create the most waste. We visited once on a bank holiday, the bins were overflowing. The town was covered in rubbish and they have a serious problem with Sea Gull S#it.
We never saw one council waste collector or litter picker there. The council has its priorities seriously messed up.
Just search for Scarborough in previous posts and the reasons why overnighting in council car parks is banned is well documented - as a number of people who have posted well know.

Scarborough were going to allow overnighting in some of their car parks but came up against a planning policy which would have landed them in serious legal trouble if they had.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Scarborough were going to allow overnighting in some of their car parks but came up against a planning policy which would have landed them in serious legal trouble if they had.

Can you briefly explain or give a specific link? There are hundreds of posts on Scarborough on here and for someone who hasn't followed this saga closely I haven't a clue where to look. :)

tonytange

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 98
Haven't read all post's but we were in Whitby last week and was really pleased to find the nearly new Park and ride facilities surprised as well that motorhomes were welcomed just £2.50 into town can't stay overnight though. When we arrived for our second stint the site attendant came over check us out saying that campervaners have been draning down their vans on site including toilet waste!!!!! This is one year on frome it being opened.later at tourist info were told it's being reviewed by council as certain type have abused the site also council went out on a lim to get this allowed
One step fowards and the retards walk backwards thank you in advance for another missed opertunity to get motorhome life accepted in UK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Haven't read all post's but we were in Whitby last week and was really pleased to find the nearly new Park and ride facilities surprised as well that motorhomes were welcomed just £2.50 into town can't stay overnight though. When we arrived for our second stint the site attendant came over check us out saying that campervaners have been draning down their vans on site including toilet waste!!!!! This is one year on frome it being opened.later at tourist info were told it's being reviewed by council as certain type have abused the site also council went out on a lim to get this allowed
One step fowards and the retards walk backwards thank you in advance for another missed opertunity to get motorhome life accepted in UK
Indeed it is sad but then if they actually provided facilities for folk to drain waste then perhaps they might actually be used. We came across several garages in Spain this year and one supermarket which had drain points - nowhere to stay overnight, just places to dump waste. They are quite common and are listed on things like CamperContact. We weren't looking for the ones we found specifically, we just came across them by accident. I guess the businesses install them to try and attract customers.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
the uk should wake up to the rest of the eu ideas,, wish aldi or lidi would provide waste dumps,, i would defo shop there, even morrissons ao asda

tonytange

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 98
I do agree that toilet wast dump at Roadside public toilets would definitely be a good start however why crap on your own doorstep so to speak makes the whole argument so much harder how do you put a positive spin on the subject with councils when thay have profe of abuse

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
just a quick question,, but if say, one of the big supermarkets was to offer free dumping,, how many would shop there ????

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Can you briefly explain or give a specific link? There are hundreds of posts on Scarborough on here and for someone who hasn't followed this saga closely I haven't a clue where to look. :)

Scarborough council decided that as they had refused planning for campsites previously they would be seen as allowing their car parks permission that other people had been refused in the past.
This is complete BULL but suits them to appease the local site and hotel owners (I'm not saying that because one Councillor has interests in a local site it would sway the decision!). Planning policy changes on a regular basis. What would it be like if we still had to drive cars down bridle paths because roads were against planning practice. I'm sure Flyde council has refused unsuitable planning for sites, but it saw sense and sorted planning and the problem was solved.

Reactions: DBK

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
three years ago you could park a long motorhome on the north bay with ease .along came the free loaders stopping over night for weeks .council put large stones to stop you parking with van overhanging on to grass. I was talking to them they had just come back from wintering in Spain .they have spoil it for us all now ...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
just a quick question,, but if say, one of the big supermarkets was to offer free dumping,, how many would shop there ????
Good point. I guess the Spanish are less squeamish about these things!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
three years ago you could park a long motorhome on the north bay with ease .along came the free loaders stopping over night for weeks .council put large stones to stop you parking with van overhanging on to grass. I was talking to them they had just come back from wintering in Spain .they have spoil it for us all now ...

There should be laws to regulate motorhome parking but banning it is wrong.

If we see lorry drivers having a pee at the side of the road do we ban lorries from stopping?
Do we ban cars from parking if car owners throw used nappies out in the gutter?

Motorhomers are being discriminated against because they are a minority, and minorities can be bullied and blamed easily as there isn't enough of them to fight back and other people don't care about them.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I think Whitby/Scarborough will not be happy until they are completely pedestrianised, last year Whitby withdrew the designated motorcycle parking in the station car park. The parking was free but bikers typically go for the route/roads so tend not to stop long. I ride with people who used to call it the Whitby Fish and Chip run so usually spent some money and then left and were replaced by the next short stay bikers. Needless to say we don't go anymore. As one of the posters on the Whitby Gazette, metaphorically said if you don't like it pi$$ off.
Well, we have and we wont be taking our Motorhome there either. How short sighted......roll on my next trip to Europe.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
When I'm on the road I like to relax. That's Relax. Not be Regimented, Restricted, and generally regarded as Rubbish. Some time ago I gave up on this country. Maybe I should be doing something to try to change the current attitudes towards us but I just can't be arsed to give a damn any more. So when I hit the road I head straight for the Chunnel. The quicker the better.

In my motorhome I'm free. Free to wander, free to choose my road, free to be a rebel one more time before I go to the great Aire in the sky. So I don't pay for parking, water or anything else faceless bureaucrats can dream up. I spend my money in the shops and garages as I see fit. I don't leave a mess anywhere, that's part of my rules. I respect the environment and the locals. If that's not good enough, if I can't live like that because somebody thinks my contribution is insufficient, or someone else reckons my van takes up too much space, if I have to be shovelled into a CP or carpark then I'll hang up my keys for good. That time has not yet arrived, but sadly I fear it is on the horizon.....

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As a Whitby resident I have to say that I have never ever seen 37 Motorhomes parked on the West Cliff nor have I ever seen anyone empty their toilet over the cliff ! Today walking on the West cliff we only saw 2 motorhomes both legally parked with tickets on display . The only place to park overnight now seems to be in the marina car park but the size of the spaces is a bit limited . One motorhomer there said that after speaking to the traffic warden about overnighting they were told that in the morning when the warden came around again if the van had curtains open looking like it had not been slept in overnight it would be OK ......Dont take this for gospel since things may have changed ! Unfortunately Whitby is not the only place with these restrictions and like many others we would love to tour UK more but end up heading to the continent almost every time due to lack of facilities for overnight stops.

We have a holiday let in Whitby there were a few motorhomes in the car park near the harbour overnight untill June then they seemed to be less I wonder if thats when they start to clamp down on parking. Perhaps the way forward is to try and get off season overnight use first there is loads of space out of season of couse the big problem is the 2 big clubs and local site owners who would see this as loss of business.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Scarborough council decided that as they had refused planning for campsites previously they would be seen as allowing their car parks permission that other people had been refused in the past.
This is complete BULL but suits them to appease the local site and hotel owners (I'm not saying that because one Councillor has interests in a local site it would sway the decision!). Planning policy changes on a regular basis. What would it be like if we still had to drive cars down bridle paths because roads were against planning practice. I'm sure Flyde council has refused unsuitable planning for sites, but it saw sense and sorted planning and the problem was solved.
Not complete bull at all. Fylde did not have the same policy problem.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
See previous post. The council would have faced legal challenge at high cost to taxpayers.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back