Was that you emptying your Elsan over the cliff?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

From the Whitby Gazette

A big clampdown on motor caravans parking overnight in the Yorkshire Coast holiday areas has been given the green light after years of protests by hoteliers and the tourist industry leaders.

North Yorkshire County Council’s Yorkshire Coast and Moors Area Committee councillors have agreed to tackle the long-standing issue of the motorised caravans parking up in key holiday areas at Whitby, Sandsend and other destinations such as Scarborough, Filey and Cayton Bay.

David Bowe, the authority’s Director of Business Services told the committee in a report, that questionnaire surveys had been carried out to explore the problem.

It said: “The most shocking comments concerned the emptying of chemical waste over cliffs, defecating in public areas in the streets, and reports of a resident counting 37 motor caravans parking for significant periods on North Promenade, Whitby.” read more

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Would think David Bowie had better things to do......:giggle:

• Like Like x 4
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

What they should be doing of course is providing proper facilities for MHs but two factors: perceived cost and the fear of "travellers" means they won't.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Eve

Eve Read Only Funster

I live by the coast in Kent,and get very annoyed ,when i see the comments about Motorhomes,in our local forums, recently M/H have been blamed for all the rubbish in the bins,many stupid comments made,from people who don,t even know the first thing about M/H.
    The problem being we are a minority and don,t have a voice, if they provided something Similar to an Air de Service,ne beach and Towns,they would be used and provide a good income for the town.

The two big clubs are completely against haveing airs,so no help there!!!! It's rather sad that we have such small minded people,who cannot see the benefits ,even if it is only money of having an area designated purely for Motor Homes.

Feel better now I have got that of my chest.:party2:

• Like Like x 7
  5. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Sounds like a bunch of councillors have invested in campsites

• Like Like x 4
  6. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Easy really

All we have to do is rename ourselves "motor home travellers" then we can defacate in public, leave huge piles of rubbish, mainly rubble and garden waste, make the general area inhabitable, take anything we fancy and run riot.

Then no one will be able to stop us, and the authorities will bend over backwards to appease us

• Like Like x 12
  7. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

I will probably make myself unpopular here but why do we think we can park every where for free ?
    If some one parked outside my house in a campervan, and they could, I would be more than displeased.
    There are campsites, brit stops, CL s, and many more areas where you can stay cheaply and safely.
    I stayed on a britstop, bought some produce off the owner who told me he was pulling out of britstops because too many people used all the facilities provided and cleared off early without so much as a thank you.
    France is cheap but still people moan about paying anything.
    Dont be so bloody tight.
    Phil

• Like Like x 33
  8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Exactly - the freeloaders ruin it for the others. Same as Old Hall Caister. They pulled out of Britstops for similar reasons. Now they charge £15 (with a £10 voucher to use in bar or restaurant) which is both fair and reasonable. In fact, I venture that it is a good thing in a way as it keeps the miserable tightwads away.

Edit..... Sorry, it was us emptying over the cliff, but the report was wrong. It was only grey waste, so that is OK ;)

• Like Like x 10
  9. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

It's the same ol thing, a small minority ruin it for everyone. Some people think the world owes them a living. But are the first to moan about anything.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jezport

jezport Funster

I have followed Andy Strangeways campaigning. He submitted a FOI request for details about the complaints on waste tipping and he was informed that they were "anecdotal " So in other words they were either made up lies or completely unsubstantiated.

The recent meeting on making the Tempory Traffic Order a permanent one was attended by Andy. He reported back.
    "I am delighted to announce, in addition to Royal Albert Drive, Scarborough, that I am informed that the “No Motor Caravans” Order will not be introduced for Sandsend A174."

https://andystrangewayovernightparkingcampaigner.wordpress.com/

11. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I think that if any individual town/village is prepared to pay for the facilities you speak of, then it's not such a bad idea, but to use County or District money, for the benefit of a few, can't really be justified to all tax payers.

Many, though not all, Free Aires are in places where no one would stop if they weren't there, making them a useful addition to the local community, and paid for by the same.

Local Towns and Villages should be allowed to provide Free facilities if they think it would be of benefit too them, but this should be funded entirely by themselves, not by County or District Councils.

:cooler:

12. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

The rotten stinkers!

13. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

As usual, the minority have managed to affect the majority. Overnighting on the prom should be exactly that. Have one night and move on.
    Most people get the occasional vehicle parked outside their property and would not give it a lot of thought till it appears to be there permanently. I am sure that the residents of Whitby ect notice the ones that are there for days on end.
    Wild or free camping can easily be seen as freeloading and freeloaders tend to get people's backs up.

• Like Like x 5
  14. jezport

jezport Funster

I spoke to a lot of small traders in Scarborough as the council was voicing its idea to ban the overnight parking of motorhomes. They did not want the ban they appreciated the money that they brought in, especially during the winter and out season times when caravans, tent campers etc were not there.

We used to go to Scarborough on a regular basis but once the council got arsey I said Fwck you and we don't go there. Fylde council had a problem in StAnnes. They solved it very simply by introducing paid overnight parking in a designated car park. Problem solved. Plus its a damn site nicer in StAnnes than Scarborough. We go there a lot now so I suppose I should thank Scarborough for pointing out that its a S#it Hole compared to StAnnes.

Its not the motorhomers that create the most waste. We visited once on a bank holiday, the bins were overflowing. The town was covered in rubbish and they have a serious problem with Sea Gull S#it.
    We never saw one council waste collector or litter picker there. The council has its priorities seriously messed up.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Only problem with free Aires in UK , they would soon be taken up by those pleasant travellers who leave a mess everywhere whose name we mustn't mention, yes you got it p#k##s

• Like Like x 3
  16. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Is your house nice, with a nice view and close to a pub?

• Like Like x 1
  17. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

A vehicle for one night every night or one vehicle for two weeks would look much the same to the resident across the road from it.

Personally I don't want to park on the roadside, even for free, I would rather pay and park in the proper place, trouble is the councils won't put in proper places for us.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  18. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

So why does this not happen to Aires in other Countries, they have "Travellers too".

:cooler:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

with the thousand miles of coastline in the UK it seems criminal that parking charges are so high for those wishing to enjoy the coast for fishing, kayaking or motorhoming. The sea is a natural rescource we should all have the right to enjoy. We all pay an annual users tax on our motorhomes the authorities are glad to collect that, expecting someplace to park is not unreasonable. Why should a few profit from a natural recourse.

• Like Like x 6
  20. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Some of those you refer to came onto the aire in Gouda at around midnight by 9am the police arrived and gave them an hour to get sorted by 10 they were on their way AND paid the parking, not just one and all follow through the barrier as I was expecting, they let it come down and all paid.

Martin

• Like Like x 1