Warwick Duo v Swift Mondial RL (1 Viewer)

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Hi all,

This is my first post, after few months of "lurking". Its a great site, the members appear to have done a great job in building up the funster community.

Based in the Wrexham area, we are at the recce stage of our first MH purchase. We have identified indoor storage near Wrexham and after quite a bit of research on this site and trudging around dealers decided on what our MH requirements are.

So we are looking at either the Swift Mondial RL or the Warwick Duo. We like the idea of two rear bench seats for relaxing, quickly converted into 2 x singles or a double. Plus room for the dog. Both seem to offer everything we want.

Obviously price is an issue, at the moment (before haggling) the Mondial can be picked up new for just under 37k(Lowdhams), whilst the Duo's MRRP is about 46.5k(Spinneys) ......quite a difference. However i'm aware that the price can sometimes be reflected in the build quality, van systems, storage etc, so I would pay the extra in order for everything to be right. I have searched through the forum, both groups of van owners appear happy with their vans, but £9000 difference is serious money for a pair of vans that appear to offer similar functions.

I would be interested to hear from owners of both vans with their thoughts good/bad on their respective vehicles. Also can both vans have solar panels fitted to give extra power if away from a hook up.

Thanks for your time guys.

JM

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JM and welcome :thumb:Yes solar pans can be fitted to either van :Smile:The other question is down to preference :ROFLMAO::winky:I cannot say which is the better van ::bigsmile: but as you say 9k is a big difference - you will have to see both vans to make that decision yourself -There is no way they can spend 9k to make one van that much better than the other :Eeek:By that I mean they will both have basically the same things IE windows, cooker, fridge,water heater,and a cabin heater loo and shower.Have a good look around to see which you like :thumb:Even if one had leather to the others cloth that would only make £600 max, difference,besides some people like it and some do not.:ROFLMAO:
Have a quick look at my self build (click on my name) to see what I got for 7.5 k,all new, that way you realize and wonder how they can charge the difference :Eeek:It is not like the vehicles are different they both are panel vans-good luck on your choice :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi JM

We do not know either van as we have always had bigger

What we can tell you is this

We have had a Swift Bolero 680Fb for 3 years now and we have loved it, we had a Hymer before that was a 2005 B544L and some may say we were daft to swop a Hymer for a Swift but we strongly disagree. £ for £ the Swift is far better value and you also have a company that cares for it's customers as well as having a presence on this and a number of other sites.

You also have swifttalk which you can join to ask any questions as well

In our opinion if the layout is what you want then buy the Swift, as Terry says there cannot be that much £ in quality difference.

Safe travels

Steve:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hello JM

First welcome to MH Fun

With regard to the two motorhomes you are looking at, have never owned either but of the two I would go for the Warwick Duo from previous vans I have owned.
My reasoning being Auto-sleepers have been in the van conversion business for many years, and do seem to have got it right. The Auto-sleepers I have had always seem to have been well built and fit for purpose. While only as an observer the Swift Mondial's that I have seen do not seem so well built.

With regards the to Solar Panels never had myself but it's a case of is there enough uncluttered roof space to fit, free of vents, Ariel's, Etc. to allow fitting.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Many thanks for the responses so far guys. Terry, your absolutely right about the price difference. Although the £37k is a special offer, nevertheless its a big diiference!!! Incidentally your van is immaculate.

Steve, agreed. i've noted that Swift do have a presence on the forums, customer service is a massive issue when something goes wrong. Buying a new or nearly new van, I will want to know that someone is going to help put things right under the warranty. With minimal hassle.

Desco, i'm hoping that some of the owners of those marques will chip in with their views.

Many thanks

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JM ,Desco is quite right that Autosleepers have been converting PVs a long time :thumb: and they are screwed together well.They also hold there price well,but at 47k you are looking also at IH and Timberland (both worth looking at :thumb:)The best advise I can give is get out and look at them all.Then weigh up which is best value for money :winky:The layout is the single most important thing you must consider,so you must go through how easy it is to make the beds up and if you can get to the loo etc, when the bed is made up :thumb:Can you make a cuppa while the bed is up ?can you see the tv from the bed ? can you get feet up lounging and see tv ? all silly little questions but they do make life/camping a lot better:winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Bathrooms, looks bigger on the Swift? - take your shoes off, sit on the loo, mime the motions. Ditto shower, is there somewhere to put the shower gel or on the floor? With the curtain or screen closed, can you wash without getting sore elbows?

Are both stoves dual fuel? - useful to have an electric hob ring when on hook-up. Do both have a microwave? (We have one but have used it about twice in nearly 2 years and 12k miles - seems a bit of a waste of space really for us) Separate grill or in the oven? How tall are both of you, are heights of appliances an issue? (some vans I have seen have a high oven (not microwave) which is far from ideal if you are 4' 11) Mime making a cup of tea, mime doing the washing up.

And then if you are tall do you give yourself a black eye when you open the wall lockers? Where will you stash the bedding?

Upvote 0

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I have had a Warwick Duo for a couple of years now. I think it is the best motorhome I have had and would not swap it for anything. However, one thing about it I do not like is switching of the gas at the cylinder. It is behind a panel under the van and I find it difficult to switch off.
I have not been on the channel tunnel crossing with it but I do not know how you could prove it is off without a great deal of difficulty.
That is really my only gripe. The build quality is excellent, the cooking arrangements with a dual fuel cooker and microwave a great and the washroom is perfectly adequate.
John

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi JM
Welcome to Motorhomefun,I recently owned a Autocruise Accent,which is the sister model to the Mondail,as others have said have a good hard look at it and try everything out,we found the rear lounge was not tall enough for somebody over 5'10 and the same problem rears its head when sleeping,storage could be an issue if you have anything bulky(outside chairs).
We found the van excellent for driving,and for short trips great,but for anything long haul with lots of gear it was a no no.
All that said they are nice,but have a good look around and if possible hire one and try it,that way you will find its plusses and minuses before you commit to buy.
Good look in your search.
Steve.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Some really good points on the layout, many thanks. We want the flexibility of two rear benches, that part for us is settled. As a short arse, a van is probably ideal. I have noted a lot of comments about microwaves, many saying they never use it. The Mondial does not have one.. One thing that is starting to concentrate our mind is storage. I'm thinking a couple of decent deck chairs ect, maybe a small add-on side tent for wet cloths ect. All needing to be stored. Can a storage box be fitted on the rear of a van, or is there other options?

I have had a Warwick Duo for a couple of years now. I think it is the best motorhome I have had and would not swap it for anything. However, one thing about it I do not like is switching of the gas at the cylinder. It is behind a panel under the van and I find it difficult to switch off.
John

Thats a good point John about the gas shutoff, if we chose the Mondial we would probably have Gaslow fitted, if possible. I visited Spinney's in Cheshire this afternoon and had a good look at the Duo. Its very well made, very impressed....except for the price.

I hadn't fully realised that the Autocruise is the Mondial on a different badge. So I have arranged to have a look at a Autocruise Rhythm in a few days at Spinneys, alongside the Duo.

Upvote 0

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
You talked about storage etc with either van. I can only quote what we carry when we go to France/Spain. We take full size recliners (they fit in washroom during transit), we carry a stand-alone awning (Riversway Leisure 240) and groundsheet (under one seat), a gas bbq which connects to the outside gas point (under same seat), tools, tow rope, collapsible water container and electric cable under other seat. We take two folding bikes carried inbetween the two seats when travelling. I nearly forgot, the flat water hose, connectors and chemistry for the loo goes in the small cupboard by the side entrance.
The Duvalay bags are on the beds with a blanket over them during the day and the pillows are stored over the cab area.
There is still enough cupboard space to spend a month away.
With all of this in I am still under my maximum weight (check both vans weight limits) and I get 34 mpg without slouching.
John

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum, it appears you are doing your homework. do check payload acurately as more and more vans are being built with little or no payload, it really is silly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
You talked about storage etc with either van. I can only quote what we carry when we go to France/Spain. We take full size recliners (they fit in washroom during transit), we carry a stand-alone awning (Riversway Leisure 240) and groundsheet (under one seat), a gas bbq which connects to the outside gas point (under same seat), tools, tow rope, collapsible water container and electric cable under other seat. We take two folding bikes carried inbetween the two seats when travelling. I nearly forgot, the flat water hose, connectors and chemistry for the loo goes in the small cupboard by the side entrance.
The Duvalay bags are on the beds with a blanket over them during the day and the pillows are stored over the cab area.
There is still enough cupboard space to spend a month away.
With all of this in I am still under my maximum weight (check both vans weight limits) and I get 34 mpg without slouching.
John

Excellent John, this type of information is so valuable to a newbie like myself. I'm leaning towards the Mondial/Auto Cruise mainly through cost difference. But i will be utilising your storage advice.

Wildman, I take your point about the payload. Thats something i'm going to need to look at and understand!!!

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi JM

Good that you are getting some good feedback as I thought you would, but just be aware price though important can sometimes lead in the wrong direction, when over the expected life of your van a few extra thousand now isn't so great. I know sometimes when I have purchased vans when younger, I wish that I had gone that bit extra at a later date.

Hope your search goes well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alexspong

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
ventura awnings

I can only quote what we carry when we go to France/Spain. We take full size recliners (they fit in washroom during transit), we carry a stand-alone awning (Riversway Leisure 240) and groundsheet (under one seat), a gas bbq which connects to the outside gas point (under same seat), tools, tow rope, collapsible water container and electric cable under other seat. We take two folding bikes carried inbetween the two seats when travelling. I nearly forgot, the flat water hose, connectors and chemistry for the loo goes in the small cupboard by the side entrance.
ventura awnings

Upvote 0

pixorr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2011
Northants
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I've had a Mondial GT since March with no issues at all.
Mmmm well, the only thing I don't like is there is not an additional small table for evening use. The main table is good at what it does but is too large to have up in the evening when you are relaxing with a cuppa or a beer, there is only the floor to place mugs and glasses.
A very minor point but a valid one.
Otherwise no build issues, drives ok, parks easy and tows well. Comfy bed and a self contained unit with no need for electric hook up. No microwave just a Cadac!
As for bed sizes, you try before you buy. You wouldn't buy a bed for at home without trying it then moan on your first nights sleep that your feet hang off the end! ::bigsmile:
It is perfectly adequate for what I need in a motorhome :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back