Warranty on second hand van from dealer.. ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Feb 21, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

What would you consider an acceptable warranty period on a second hand van from a dealer costing over £25k ?

I have inquired about a van from a dealer advertising on Autotrader and I asked about warranty and they only offer three months parts and labour mechanical warranty ..

I appreciate that warranties cost money which is reflected in the price but that is why we buy from dealers in the first place rather than private.. .. peace of mind..

I replied that I wouldn't consider purchasing with only three months warranty..

It would be out of warranty before I hit France this summer.. what would you accept or expect ?

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You should know by now that warranties aren't worth a whole lot in the real world. Just an insurance policy with loads of escape clauses.

It might just be a genuine 3 months at the dealer's expense and no quibbles.

And pigs might fly.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Ours was a bit more expensive than you are indicating and that was 8 years ago when the van was 4 years old. We got a one-year warranty from the dealer (insurance based obviously - with an option to extend it thereafter at our cost).

• Like Like x 1
  4. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

I bought the Nuevo from a main dealer who offered 3 months no quibble warranty of his own and because of the time of year and his expectation of us using it little over the winter he extended it to 6 months. We only had one warranty issue which he sorted brilliantly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

Insurance based not interested.

I also inquired from Becks Motorhomes in Gt Yarmouth .. , they give 12 months on vehicles over £20k, their own warranty, not an insurance backed one.

6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

IMO if a warranty is important to you I would take out one personally, I think if you go for an RAC type inspection that gives you an option to buy a warranty, but the whole package will cost a lot

I ran an expensive Audi a few years ago, when the 3 year manufacturers warranty ran out Audi wanted £800 for the 4th year, which I paid but sold the car before it was due next

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I would have thought a 3 month one the dealers is supporting himself is probably a better bet than a one year insurance backed one with all the get out clauses.

Better still buy privately save a few grand and if anything goes wrong you have the money in your pocket to pay for it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We got six months on ours and it has been back twice, first visit was for quite a few jobs all done to my satisfaction thank you Stuart Longtons and the second time when the brand new habitation door lock/catch failed which was a manufacturing fault not there's :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

yes, I tend to agree..

the hard bit is finding the right van .. be it private or dealer.. no qualms about buying private.. but if it is a dealer I want a decent warranty.

10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I think the hardest bit these days with private sales is paying for it

Applies to selling or buying, you daren't take a cheque, a bankers draft could be dodgy, notes could be forged

Then as buyer are you happy to transfer many £ooo's the day before collecting from a private seller and if selling are you happy to let him do it when he arrives to pick it up, I am convinced there is a system where you could ring your bank half an hour after a transfer and get it reversed, or am I just paranoid

edit - sorry Jim gone a bit off topic

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I bought both vans privately without warranty. If I bought from a dealer it would have to be local as the time and expense of travelling for a fix is just not worth the hassle. If the engine is average mileage and runs ok and is priced correctly or cheaper that's enough for me. Most vans are over serviced by their previous owners anyway and any service book looks like a joke most often compared to mileage done. I would spend all day examining it and be sure everything is working.
    EDIT that way if you find faults you are in a better position to knock the price down legitimately to cover the cost of rectifying

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

no apology needed.. it's a chat about buying second hand vans, and anything connected with it.. not just the warranty

your point is very valid.. I hadn't given that much thought.. been concentrating on dealers..

so what is the best way to pay privately ?

13. scotjimland

good point.. no use buying from a dealer hundreds of miles away..

hence my inquiry to Becks.. they are about 40 miles away, and get a good reviews from several funsters .. but if I saw the right van at the right price privately would go for a look..

14. Techno

It depends how much money is involved, I believe 10k is the max for instant transfer without pre authorisation and sometimes a FEE is charged for larger amounts
    Check with your own bank for options

• Like Like x 1
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I really don't know, sold our last one privately and told buyer I needed money in my bank on day before collection, he did, so all OK.

If I was buying not so sure I would be so trusting, even though I would have seen it at their address, there is always a con waiting out there somewhere

Similarly with a dealer, they will want money up front, you might get away with debit card payment on collection, but if prepaid is the dealer going to be as bothered with sorting things found on the day if he already has his money?

There must be an answer, but any system is going to favour one side more than the other

very best of luck with your search though (y)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Techno

Cash transfer with a banking app is generally instant with the exception of Santander! My son bought his car from a Scottish lad who banked with them and it took over 2 hours to show in his account. However he was trusting so there was no delay in leaving.
    Nat West & Barclays both work well from my own experiences

17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

The girl who brought my last van transferred 35k using her phone for her Santander account,it was in my Nationwide account in seconds, when I've just transferred a few hundred on-line with my Santander account some times instant sometimes takes a couple of hours depends which bank it's going to.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Techno

Perhaps it is just slow going in Lenny, The guy said it was normal for him with santander, probably why he was happy for us to leave. My son showed him the completed transfer on his phone though.

19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Santander can be done over 10k no problem or cost, Nationwide you can send multiples of 10k that's how I sent the money to exchange brokers when paying for my van did it in 6 transactions all done within minutes.

20. Techno

For me Nat West limited me to 10k per day