Warranty claim on Hymer.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Aug 31, 2016.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

My new van has a fault, not a big thing, BUT they want to have it back in Huddersfield to fix it.???
    It is a fancy touch on,touch off LED lamp in the lounge. It went from a bright light to a gentle glow after two weeks, I contacted the dealer and they said they will get one and I said I will fit it, simple job. Now, it is in , Hymer want the old one back before sending me the new one to fit, I would prefer the new one to fit and return the old one, do it in one go, but no it has to be two jobs or take it back to them. 250 miles each way.??? Do they not trust me after paying them so much money for it?
    Please do not say I should have gone to a closer dealer, they are all a million miles from here. My nearest dealer is in Kortrijk in Belgium, it takes only 2 1/4 hours from here with the ferry. almost cheaper to go there on a day trip.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borderland

Borderland Funster

so you bought a new van costing mega thousands of pounds and they want you to return a faulty LED that probably cost them less then a tenner !.

3. Xabia

Xabia Funster

The owner of Lowdhams (near to me) is Wilfred Craft, if it was me I would contact him at their Lowdham main premises and complain about their branch attitude.

Mike

4. Adbt

Adbt Funster

I will just go and get me popcorn ..........

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

No, the warranty lady was very good in getting it for me, it seems the service dept. do not know I was going to fit it, but she is away on holiday, all should be settled soon . It is the policy of old one back first that seem odd, that comes from Hymers I am told.

6. Adbt

Adbt Funster

You were going to fit a replacement electrical part yourself supplied by hymer whilst the van was under warranty ? I'll have salt on me popcorn !

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Could you offer to pay for the new LED on the basis that they will refund the purchase price once you have returned the faulty one.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

No I haven't got any left after buying it.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Did you buy it from the uk dealer I would point out the extra you paid for uk supply so you would be sure of warranty cover

10. tomag

tomag Funster

I brought my Hymer from Duemo-Duelmen in Germany and when the sink tap started leaking got in touch with them and said I would fit the new tap ,they sent me a new tap and asked if I would send the old one back within 28 days ,and the Burstner I had from them before when a light fitting went wrong they just sent a replacement and said to keep the old one

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sounds like you have found the Hymer jobsworth,.. not called Norman by any chance.. ?

I've had two parts replaced under warranty from Becks, an electric step switch , value around £60 and a Hella fog light that had fell apart.. no idea the cost..

fitted myself and they never even asked to send the old parts back..

great dealer..

• Like Like x 3
  12. Spidey

Spidey Funster

I am having our electric step replaced under warranty. Can't get doen to the dealers so they are sending the step to us and we will return the step next time we are passing :)

13. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Yes It came from Lowdhams a couple of months ago, I did call in to ask Becks about it whilst in Norfolk, and the man that I spoke to took one look at the number plate and said take it to Lowdhams and walked off. The so called Europe wide warranty does not seem to be very wide, All I wanted to know is what to do about it he told me. Motorhome dealers all seem to be very insular in their views of sales and customers, this seems to apply to all makes????

14. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Had ours from lowdhams they are doing some gelcoat cracking under warranty (just outside but chuasson agreed to do it) communication patchy at best not so quick to reply as when selling!!!

15. Wagoneer

Wagoneer Funster

Just explain to Lowdhams that you want to receive the replacement part to make sure it is the same as the existing and it works (before sending the old one back). It could be part of a faulty batch.

Although it was ordered using the part number system there is still an element of human error in the process.

You won't know if it's the correct part and works until you have it in your sweaty hand !!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. JJ

JJ Funster

The candles in my 1987 Hymer never give me any problems... ;)

JJ :cool:

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I was at York on Monday but the person I was to pick up did not arrive. So we went for a drive to Huddersfield and got to Lowdhams they fitted the goodly lamp straight off and took the old one for the claim. so it works if you go back to the seller.
    There was a couple buying the same model as I have and they were paying over £10000 more for it because of the drop in the £ against the Euro and a lack of a haggling, also I suspect.
    I did end up buying the chassis extensions that are needed for a towbar and they will arrive in the future sometime and need to be collected or they reckon £50 carriage to home. I would prefer the £50 to go in the tank and drive of somewhere else after.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dicksob

dicksob Funster

I can certainly confirm the impact of exchange rate on hymer 2017 prices. We are looking at the mli 540 which is about £5k higher than 2016 prices, by the time you add on all extras comes out about £10k more.

19. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Hymer have a horribly German way of selling vehicles, you are given a price then when you add door handles or whatever it is a small fortune, most of the things they add I consider to be essentials especially for the high start price. I did rather well with mine I think haggling over an unregistered demonstrator got it to sensible prices, no way would I order one from a UK dealer as a factory order.
    The continental ones mostly have the bits that the Germans themselves consider to be needed for a van and the price is still lower than the UK ordered one even if it was priced at parity to the euro.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Speve

Speve Funster

From what I can gather speaking to Premier Motorhomes Chichester,
    Hymer are really slow in paying their dealers for warranty work carried out by them and this could be the reason they don't like taking on vehicles not supplied by their own dealership have to say Premier have been excellent as far as I'm concerned they have done all my warranty work and our van was an import (they are very busy but if you are patient they will do their best to help) we have had our first service and hab check done by them and booked next years as well,I would not hessitate to recommend them(y)(y)(y)