DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Good that your getting some where, and you know which route your Snipe came from

Well done

Eddie

Thanks,

Just been looking at Avtex again & I cannot see anything to say that their 2. year warranty does not apply to the snipe

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Bought our Snipe from EBay. It was delivered to us direct from Germany. When we bought it (approx 4 weeks ago) the website on EBay stated the following
"Snipe Fully Automatic Camping Caravan,Motorhome,Satellite Dish 2 Year Warranty
Price Includes Mounting Plate Unlike Other Snipes"

I have just checked the sellers website and he is still offering Avtex Snipe but with the following note at the bottom of the description
"PLEASE NOTE THIS IS UK STOCK AND COMES WITH A 1 YEAR UK WARRANTY AND NO MOUNTING BRACKET"

????????

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Based on that, I'm happy I got the German version, even though we can't use the bloody thing on our first trip post install due to the tree line in the way :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Good news you are in dialogue with retailer albeit with just a holding mail. Hope it works out OK for you.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
While all this was going on I was running a little nervous as I had one on order from Firstchoiceav on EBay.
It took ten days to arrive, delivered by UPS, from Germany not from Tumbridge wells as the listing suggested. I fitted the day after it arrived, very easy task, and so far I am suited with it. I enclose two pictures of it where the van is located at my Daughters pub and as you can see we ain't got a brilliant clear view of the sky but it is picking up all of the freesat channels. the other bonus seems to be that it is less susceptible to gusts of winds than my previous Mobisat or Oyster always was. What it will work like as we get nearer to Limoge in June is anyone's guess but I can report back.

The interesting thing is After payment I got an email including a copy invoice which clearly states print this off and keep safe as it serves as your TWO year warranty, incidentally the invoice is from Blackberry Media not who I placed the original order wit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 51

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had ours receiving UK channels as far south as 40km north of Orange in Provence, Limoge won't be a problem, never had to take it down in high winds, the Oyster on the last van was a pain when the wind got up.

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
For those who are interested I have received a reply from Roadpro.

" In our catalogue and on our website, we always made a point of explaining that the Snipe was a portable satellite system and not intended for permanent installation. We even referred to it as the “Snipe Portable Satellite System”. We did this because we believed that, although the Snipe was fine for use as a portable unit, we had reservations about its ability to withstand the vibration and stress from wind when mounted on a vehicle. For that reason, we have never advertised the mounting plate which became available and was sold by many of our competitors.

It turns out that our concerns about the suitability of the Snipe for permanent installation have, unfortunately, been proved correct.

When we sold you the Snipe, we sold it to you as a portable unit and not as a system that was intended to be installed permanently. As you have mounted it on the roof of your vehicle, I regret that the warranty is not applicable."

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

" In our catalogue and on our website, we always made a point of explaining that the Snipe was a portable satellite system and not intended for permanent installation. We even referred to it as the “Snipe Portable Satellite System”. We did this because we believed that, although the Snipe was fine for use as a portable unit, we had reservations about its ability to withstand the vibration and stress from wind when mounted on a vehicle. For that reason, we have never advertised the mounting plate which became available and was sold by many of our competitors.

It turns out that our concerns about the suitability of the Snipe for permanent installation have, unfortunately, been proved correct.

When we sold you the Snipe, we sold it to you as a portable unit and not as a system that was intended to be installed permanently. As you have mounted it on the roof of your vehicle, I regret that the warranty is not applicable."
Wriggle wriggle wriggle .......

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Seems clear enough to me.

D.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It appears from re-reading the previous thread, that the Snipe was permanently mounted on the MH despite it being sold as a portable unit and whilst mounted it was then not only subjected to being left on the roof during travel with all the weather/buffering that it would suffer, but it was also subjected to being in a sandstorm! :eek: I'm therefore not surprised that it won't work properly or that RP won't fix it as it has been used 'outside' of it's design limitations.

Sorry. :(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Why tell them you mounted it - just used as portable unit?

If it had been mounted that should be declared, surely you are not suggesting that the facts are altered to suit a warranty claim. If the user has misused the product they should stand the consequences not the retailer.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back