WARRANTY beyond Manufacturers norm ?? (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
BASE VEHICLE WARRANTY needed now that Ford's is well expired [+1 yr.]:Blush:

Anybody out there who has taken out a GOOD policy @ a GOOD "Yorkshire Price" ! ?

Better still, has anyone had to claim on such a Policy......Straight forward/No Hassle?

Looking forward to any help/experiences

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Me too !

Default on ANY of their strict conditions and you're on yer own.
they normally wont pay for diagnosis and strip down unless it actually leads to the fault.

ie: alternator fault. they wont pay to remove and test the alternator if it turns out to be a wiring fault.

if you go over the recommended service interval by just a few miles...yer on yer own.

not worth the paper its written on in my opinion.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As somone who continually refuses to do work for these companies I can confirm the above statements
For Example
Clutch Failure
Customer will have to agree to pay for all stripping and diagnostics ie gearbox removal and re fitting prior to any work commencing
Warranty Co will pay for new Autofactor parts and actual "clutch" fitting time ie 15 mins
Cost to warranty Co £70
Cost to Customer £200
And only on condition the clutch has BROKEN up ie failed in service
Otherwise its fair wear and tear
Then the Customer pays the lot
These are mechanical BREAKdown policies
If anything is proven to have worn out then your on your own
In most cases of work in excess of £100 to the warranty Co they will want to send an engineer out to view the BROKEN parts prior to authorising reair
meanwhile your off the road, anything more than a week or 50 miles over a service schedual then all cover is void
so on and so forth
Geo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The only time they are worth having is when a GOOD waranty is issued with a used vehicle and then only if the dealer backs you to the hilt and is prepared to argue the toss and use his marketing muscle with the rep in that if it doesnt get sorted, no more business.

It is essential that you always contact your dealer first and explain the circumstances and take his advice as to how to proceed if you have to go to another garage rather than back to him for rectification.

The warranty company we use we don't normally have problems with but we do not actually sell these warranties on their own for vehicles not supplied by us although other dealers may as it can be quite lucrative commission wise!

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i've only had one of these 'warrenties' once and that was 'free' :RollEyes:

bought a landy disco from Carcraft at Sheffield and on the way home the head gasket went.

i wanted the car so decided to repair under their warrenty rather than return it.

did the repair at the garage i worked at and got authorisation to go ahead.

found a badly leaking water pump and the previous owner had removed the thermostat in an attempt to keep it cool.

strip down, head skim and pressure test (always advisable after a head gasket fail on a diesel), new gasket set, new head bolts, water pump etc....over £400 10 years ago.

cost to me.....nowt !!!! except the cost of a new cambelt kit while it was in bits.
in fact i was in pocket 'cos the boss told me to do the work so i got paid for it too.

got to be the exception as they actually covered the whole cost :Eeek:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
mmm now years ago i used to use Olympic Warrenties (gold cover) have to say they came in useful twice once for an altinator on my 4x4and the other time for an auto gearbox problem(replacement gearbox) on my vw carravelle only let the policy lapse because my new pickup being new had its own warrenties with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back