Warning

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by milpol1, Jun 13, 2013.

1. milpol1

milpol1 Read Only Funster

Just had an e mail from a mate of mine.............

Just heard from some people back from peniscola spain 5 vans were broken into on a camp site the it would appear that knock out gas was used and every think stolen you can buy gas alarms we have one

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Put me down for one:thumb:

3. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I'll 'ave two, one for each nostril :Laughing:

4. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Can I have one a week for Elaine's mood swings

• Like Like x 1
  5. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  6. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Me panic

7. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

ask your mate to supply their names

• Like Like x 1
  8. petrol tin glyn

petrol tin glyn Read Only Funster

:Cool:who's selling these gas alarms???????? Dell boy got some he got to get rid of know what i mean :Rofl1::Rofl1: I'm down in peniscola at the moment and nobody has heard of any gas attacks or break ins , so who is spreading these stories again who ever they are they need medical help :Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

It is always a mate of a mate. More scare mongering
    Names ages and birth cirtificates. Required lol

I am in England. Nog many gass attacks reported here
    It must be a Spanish thing

• Like Like x 2
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ah, so it's all your fault is it? :Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

It is always the one who had been eating beans that denies the Gas
    come on Glynn own up:Rofl1:

12. JJ

JJ Funster

Assuming you started the thread with the best intentions milpol1 thank you for the warning but...

These rumours of being robbed after being "gassed" have been around for years and years and years and I do not know of anyone on here who believes that they are true.

People aren't robbed when they have been knocked out by gas. People are robbed because they are sound asleep and the thieves are very quiet...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 8
  13. Daveg

Daveg Funster

Gas fear

As a relative newcomer to the weird world of motor homing I find the gas thing very conflicted. Motorhome Mayhem and Madness mag has two, "I was so totally gassed in France dude" letters this month whereas the Vicarious books very fine work on foreign travel for the uninitiated points out that the Royal College of Anaesthetists would love to know what gas would do this as science hasn't found it yet.

For my part I found four months in the gassing countries this year quite devoid of knockout nastiness.

Were we lucky or is this all total hors**t?

Urban myths and rampant paranoia are all too common. No wonder the first camp warden we met after buying our starter van said she was too scared to go abroad unless in convoy.

Spread the word. Use your common sense and you will be fine (DV)

• Like Like x 4
  14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

can you buy nice soft fluffy one i can stick in my bed ?

enough gas in there on a morning to re-float the Hindenburg :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  15. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

You have to have been "on the gas" to buy these alarms! This annual story is alarmist rubbish.

16. Richc69

Richc69 Read Only Funster

Gas alarm sales rep by any chance?

I bought one, but more as a concern over LPG leaks and carbon monoxide, but then you read the blurb and to work properly they have to mounted at different heights to be effective with different density gases, so not that useful. We just have a 'beware of the kids' sign to deter break-ins ;)

17. Bebe

Bebe

Having lived abroad and travelling regularly for the past 14years, both by motorhome and car, we feel we are qualified to say " do not take these warnings lightly". We are very safety minded people and have still been broken into. We now avoid the services on the southern French Spanish borders at all costs.
    Once we had stopped there to take a rest. We were on the brightly lit car park, together with about 20 other motorhomes. My husband dozed, whilst I sat. I heard a click but thought nothing of it. Half an hour later I was dozing and my husband shouted to a man sat in our passenger cab seat. He was going through the paper work in the glove compartment. My husband chased him out of the mh and suddenly there was about 15 motorhomes alarms going off. Bedlam, shouting and screams. My husband saw the gang drive off in an old motorhome. They had gone round the car park, which was lit up like a football stadium, and clicked open the door locks and then returned half hour later to enter the vans.
    Last year I drove my granddaughter to spain. We had to stop and i noticed the tell tale car stationery with four/five men . We pulledup and they came very close to our vehicle. I decided Iwasn't getting out and we would move on to the next services. On arriving we noticed the same car and men. Needless to say I drove in and straight onout. These are the men who can tamper with your tyres. This can sound very dramatic but it is true. We are not wanting to scare anyone but this is just a couple of the incidents we have seen or been involved in. Although we haven't been gassed! The Guardia Civil are aware of these Romanian gangs. If someone says an incident has occurred . We always listen. Enjoy but be cautious, thieves are in all countries. Complacency can be dangerous

• Like Like x 2
  18. JJ

JJ Funster

The fact that people get robbed in their motorhomes is not in question... but they are not gassed first...

It is "gassing" that others and I take lightly not robbery.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Bebe

Bebe

I did not wish to imply anyone who had posted was taking the subject lightly, and yes I understood "gassing" was the main reason for the post. I was just stating that when travelling a very long way how easy it is to doze off and how easy it is to be robbed. The first time we went abroad we were totally oblivious to the "bandits" way of working and I was just giving my view. I thought we would be safe with 20 other motorhomes, in a brightly lit car park, outside a food outlet. I felt we had picked a safe spot to park for an hour. I was wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

So you mate heard from someone else who has no personal knowledge of what happened. But it appears gas was used. OK so the vans might have been broken into but what evidence is there that gas was used.

I think it would be far better for everyone is people did not report gas attacks unless they had personal knowledge/evidence.