Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
On the continent the use of a warning triangle is obliged, we are planning a trip to England in September and therefore checking the English regislations

Today we heard, on the dutch television, something strange about the use of the warning triangle in England.
In short it was said that on a English highway the use of a warning triangle is strictly forbidden.

Is that right ??

Thanks
Paul and Ineke

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On the continent the use of a warning triangle is obliged, we are planning a trip to England in September and therefore checking the English regislations

Today we heard, on the dutch television, something strange about the use of the warning triangle in England.
In short it was said that on a English highway the use of a warning triangle is strictly forbidden.

Is that right ??

Thanks
Paul and Ineke

hi paul and ineke,

its not often you will see warning triangles being used but they are NOT illegal

one should be placed around 100mtrs behind you and if you have a second one then place it around 50mtrs behind unless you are on a corner then place it a good distance in front of you to warn oncoming traffic.

as yet they are not compulsory in the UK.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

Warning triangles can be used on all roads except motorways

Highway code Rule

Additional rules for the motorway

If your vehicle develops a problem, leave the motorway at the next exit or pull into a service area. If you cannot do so, you should

* pull on to the hard shoulder and stop as far to the left as possible, with your wheels turned to the left
* try to stop near an emergency telephone (situated at approximately one-mile intervals along the hard shoulder)
* leave the vehicle by the left-hand door and ensure your passengers do the same. You MUST leave any animals in the vehicle or, in an emergency, keep them under proper control on the verge. Never attempt to place a warning triangle on a motorway
* do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs
* ensure that passengers keep away from the carriageway and hard shoulder, and that children are kept under control

Keep well back from the hard shoulder

* walk to an emergency telephone on your side of the carriageway (follow the arrows on the posts at the back of the hard shoulder) – the telephone is free of charge and connects directly to the Highways Agency or the police. Use these in preference to a mobile phone (see Rule 283). Always face the traffic when you speak on the phone
* give full details to the Highways Agency or the police; also inform them if you are a vulnerable motorist such as disabled, older or travelling alone
* return and wait near your vehicle (well away from the carriageway and hard shoulder)
* if you feel at risk from another person, return to your vehicle by a left-hand door and lock all doors. Leave your vehicle again as soon as you feel this danger has passed

[Laws MT(E&W)R reg 14 & MT(S)R reg 12]

Before you rejoin the carriageway after a breakdown, build up speed on the hard shoulder and watch for a safe gap in the traffic. Be aware that other vehicles may be stationary on the hard shoulder.

If you cannot get your vehicle onto the hard shoulder

* do not attempt to place any warning device on the carriageway
* switch on your hazard warning lights
* leave your vehicle only when you can safely get clear of the carriageway

Disabled drivers. If you have a disability which prevents you from following the above advice you should

* stay in your vehicle
* switch on your hazard warning lights
* display a ‘Help’ pennant or, if you have a car or mobile telephone, contact the emergency services and be prepared to advise them of your location

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Jumped in too fast again.....never thought of motorways:Blush:

it would save a lot of lives if a triangle was placed on the motorway hard shoulder and not difficult to do.
easy to walk back BEHIND the barrier and drop it over the other side close to the barrier.

we've all seen video clips of HGVs and cars hitting cars on the shoulder.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i see your point Jim but any chance of waking him/her up is better than none.

even something as small as a triangle will send a twitch through the steering wheel if they run over it.
may just be enough......rumble strips seem to work to an extent.:thumb:

could always go the full hog and deploy a stinger....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I have to say I agree with British Law and not the continental way of doing things here. You break down on a motorway. The last thing you should be doing is wondering around up the hard sholder putting out warning triangles waiting to get run down. If someones asleep, has a heart attack or looses control for whatever reason a warning triangle is not going to stop them and neither will your body wondering about sticking triangles up. Common sense says to get off the road ASAP, even if you stay in your vehicle you have more chance of surviving if you get hit in it than out of it. I think your advised to get everyone out and up the bank ASAP. I bought my two trinangles for my trip to France next week just to stay legal but I think its a bonkers law and if I break down I probably wont use them.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Interestingly, the French advice for Autoroutes is the same as the UK, no mention of the triangle..

Link Removed

Well I am confused now. This post says you do need a triangle but the debate is wether you need 2 or not. Link Removed

Loads of people told me you needed at least one. I bought two of ebay. Mindy you stand them up in anything more than a whif of a breeze and they will fall over.

Im not going to loose any sleep over it!:Smile:

OP
OP
Onderweg

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Thank you all for the quick and clear response :thumb:

barryd, in the Netherlands you are obliged to use one warning triangle.

But it is expected that you leave your car, cross the protection rail, and than walk back to place the warning triangle ! So dont walk on the hard shoulder !!

As far as i know in France also only one warning triangle is required

Once again, thanks !!

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
The triangles are to warn traffic that their path is obstructed. If you are off the bitumen on a minor road or in the breakdown lane on a motorway you are not obstructing the traffic and there is no point in putting out warning triangles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The triangles are to warn traffic that their path is obstructed. If you are off the bitumen on a minor road or in the breakdown lane on a motorway you are not obstructing the traffic and there is no point in putting out warning triangles.

ok Tony......im broken down on a winding, minor country lane.....and billy bob is coming down the lane in his Mitsubushi Evo 4 at 70mph.

will he see me? i doubt it :Sad: will he see a triangle at 100mtrs away from me.....yes:thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Jumped in too fast again.....never thought of motorways:Blush:

it would save a lot of lives if a triangle was placed on the motorway hard shoulder and not difficult to do.
easy to walk back BEHIND the barrier and drop it over the other side close to the barrier.

we've all seen video clips of HGVs and cars hitting cars on the shoulder.

One of the points that was made at the last RoSPA meeting I attended was that an HGV banging along at whatever speed would quite likely turn the warning triangle into a flying hazard with it's air-wash, so on balance I think everybody (but NOT pets) out of the car, behind the barrier, hazards on, no triangle, is the safest course of action.

John (the Devon one)::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Onderweg

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Great to see all your reactions, thanks

But of course, before opening this thread, we first checked the ANWB and obtained a booklet with all the different regulations in many countries of Europe (England is n o t included :Eeek:)

Whether we think the use of a warning triangle is good or bad is not a simple black and white story, other habits/rules different in each country should be included.

But... this thread is about the use of warning triangles in England and therefore all comments are very useful to me, it gives me a chance to get a feel of the habits of drivers in England :thumb:

I noticed that many questions have been asked in the passed about what is, when driving on the continent, required in the various countries.
Therefore i will submit here the list provided by the ANWB

I will try to make it as readable as possible :winky:

===Items===
A = first aid kit
B = warning triangle
C = reflecting vest must be in the car
D = reflecting vest must be used
E = backup light bulbs
F = fire extinguisher

===Remarks===
1. also when riding a bike (i dont mean a motorbike)
2. two warning triangles
3. two warning triangles for cars registered in Spain
4. two warning triangles required
5. only required for the driver
6. only required if the alarm lights don't function
7. not required for cars registered in The Netherlands, so my assumption is for cars registered in another country

(the ANWB obtained this information on May 2009 from their sister clubs)

Belgium A7, B, C, D5, F7
Denmark B
Germany A7, B7
France B, C1, D1&5
Hungary A, B, C, D, E7
Greece B, F
Italy B, C, D
Croatia A, B2, C, D5
Luxembourg B, C, D
The Netherlands B6
Norway B, C7, D7
Austria A, B, C, D5
Poland B, F
Portugal B7, C7, D7&5
Slovenia A7, B2, D, E7
Slovakia A, B, D
Spain B3, D, E
Tsjechia A, B
Turkey A, before, F
Sweden B
Switzerland B

In short, if you want to be fullproof you need A, B, C, D, E and F :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
First class Paul, that should be moved into the referance section, maybe Jim can copy it over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back