WARNING re new Tomtom

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaws, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

For reasons I will not go in to, I recently bought one of the new(ish) Tomtom Go 1000 Live units

If you are looking for aa new GPS I would strongly advise against even thinking about Tomtom kit

To start with, the sales person at Tomtom blatantly lied to me.. Assuring me that adding third party POI's ( something that is, in our game, quite important ) would not be a problem at all

Seems that adding POI's on the Go 1000 is impossible 'though they are working very hard to resolve the matter, and should have an answer by early 2012' ( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Obviously I never found out about this until after I took delivery

Sooo..

Next reason not to trust Tomtom then

I mailed them, asking about the problem.. Had a reply saying it was 'something they would be addressing in the future'
    No mention of the slaesmans tactics to get a sale

Another mail.. Still polite saying while I appreciate their position, the unit is no good to me without the POI issue being resolved.. To that end I would like to return the unit, unopened and get a refund

Mail comes back
    'Thank you for your mail, this is something they would be addressing in the future'

Sooo..
    Another mail. and another and another... all ignored now.
    I rang the number on Friday.
    After an 18 minute wait ( at 10p a minute ) I finally spoke to a human.. Explained what was going on.. Hmmm yes,,, lots of people seem to have this problem. Please send an email outlining your problem..

Click... burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There is a rumour going round Tomtom is in trouble.. I am really not too surprised ..

In the mean time I have gone back to using my old old faithfuls.. A Garmin Nuvi and a Garmin 550

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Some other poor soul on here just got one as a retirement present :Sad:

Can't you sling it back with the help of your CC company ?

I've seen this picture before, new market opens, fortunes made, market saturates BOOOOOM.

For a good while now they've kept the market going with stupid frills ( 3D, pictures, phone, MP3 etc ) that no-one really needs. KISS.

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I probably could go down the credit card route ( actually it was a debit card but same distance selling rules apply ) but after taking advice it is likely the card company will find in favour of Tomtom as 'they have acknowledged the problem and are willing to address it within a given time frame'

In other words, said card company get a shed load more dosh by not upsetting corporates than from oiks like me :Angry:

So the only options I have open now is to post this on all forums I infest as a warning to others.. Also mailed all the tabloids and a certain broadsheet the info ( esp the rumour that tomtom is in fiscal trouble ! Nowt like a bit of goss to get the fires burning brightly.. but to be fair, the info did come from a corporate banker whilst very pissed and,,, ummmm talking freely shall I say :Wink: )

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

5. JJ

JJ Funster

I am sorry to learn of your TomTom trouble.

My experiance with them has been completely different... I am a big fan.

A thought.

Shall I take your 1000 off your hands? I don't need to download third party POIs... And you'll not lose all that money...

JJ

6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I'm on my second Garmin, proper jobs :thumb::thumb:

7. Moshi

Moshi Read Only Funster

wev'e just got a Tomtom, new to them, could someone enlighten me what POI's are thankyou

8. hilldweller

Points of Interest.

A database of places - Speed Cams, Aires, Banks, anything, you load them onto your GPS and can find them and see them as you move around.

Lots are free, but the makers prefer you buy them !!

9. Moshi

Moshi Read Only Funster

Great Brian :thumb: could be useful stuff then? will see when we go touring next week

10. hilldweller

Highly unsatisfactory.

No point in debating it further, if you could fix the situation you'd have done it by now.

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If that is a serious offer then yes.. you are most welcome JJ.

I got it at a discounted price of £219.99

12. hilldweller

Well, not if you don't download any POIs :Smile:

I'm sure there's some in the download section here.

You will probably have loads on your GPS as standard, the trick is to turn off those you don't want to stop it bleeping all the time.

I think the pocketgpsworld web site Jim mentions has freebies.

PS Someone has just added a POI file so I followed the line and there are a lot more, here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/dlcat-tomtom-5/

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  13. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

If the manual/ promotional leaflets/ salesman state that the unit will accept downloads of POIs then it is not fit for purpose and can be returned to whoever you bought it from, (that is who your contract is with ), for replacement or money back.

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Spot on..
    However.......

It was bought direct from TomTom
    I have NO address to return it to and they will not supply me with one either by mail of on the telephone

I have been to CAB and a solicitor.. both more or less curled up at the thought of taking on an international corporate and more or less advised me to accept the situation

Credit card people were the same pretty much

Short of physically VISITING the UK offices I am at a loss as to how to proceed ( I have already been warned that simply sending the unit, even registered mail, will just mean it will 'get lost in the system' unless it has a specific department and returns number on it )

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Not if it is a Go 1000 Live you wont !

Out of the 1000's I got from Richard, the more 1000's I have of my own, not one is any use if you have a Go 1000 !!

16. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I was going to post on new satnavs then I saw this thread.

No help from me on this one but my old Mio let me down badly around the NEC this week, although it got us from Rotterdam to Esbjerg with no problems this year. Difficult to programme unlike the old Garmin I borrowed from a neighbour.

So it sounds like TomToms a no goer for me which leaves the Garmin or something else. Any preference with a budget up to (say) £150?

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have been a Garmin man since my first in about 1984ish ( Garmin III plus )

Currently have 6 of them and can recommend the Nuvi range.. Wish to god I had stuck to them !

18. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This problem only affects the TT 1000..

I have a three year old TT One XL and used it all over Europe with no problems,
    it's simple and intuitive to operate.. no complaints whatsoever.

Whatever you decide, my advice is to keep it simple .. no need for bells and whistles ..

try Halfrauds for some decent deals.. if you don't like or have an issue then you have a neck to get hold of :Wink:

20. hilldweller

I'm sure Jaws will be overjoyed to hear this :Smile:

Hope it wasn't out of frying pan into fire.

Me, I have CoPilot Live on my windows mobile phone. Something like £50 with full Europe maps and it works a treat for my limited needs.

Confucious say: "A wife map reading is a contented quiet wife".

We keep GPS in reserve for when it all goes pear shaped, like most French cities. They get you in then capture you by never displaying a sign for your destination.