WARNING. My Skype was compromised... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi there Funsters,

I was surprised to see that my PayPal account had given Skype two payments of €25 in the last two days. This wasn't right!

I checked my Skype account and watched as someone was running up a bill using my account (with automatic top up.)

Panic!!!

First thing was to stop the automatic top up. I did that but I was still €28 in credit and calls were still being made. I changed my password and that seems to have stopped it (at €24)

PHEW!

Now I am trying and trying and trying to find a contact email or phone or something to let Sype know what has been happening. Does anyone know how to contact Skype?

JJ

I recommend everyone cancels their automatic top ups to Skype. If I hadn't noticed it could have been much more than the €40 I have lost...:cry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry to hear that jj I hope you get sorted. Also contact paypal and get them to refund you.

Last edited:

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
I always thought Skype was a free internet phone service, never paid a penny for a service we use very often. How come you have to buy 'top ups?'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Link Removed

To contact Skype Customer Support, please visit the help section on our website and report your issue through our support form. Simply choose the topic and subtopic that fits your issue the best and explain your problem.

looks like the only way to contact them....

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I always thought Skype was a free internet phone service, never paid a penny for a service we use very often. How come you have to buy 'top ups?'
Skype to skype is free, but skype to landline numbers cost real money, hee hee.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

as roger said skype to skype is free but skype calls to landlines and mobiles cost.

very cheap though.

i had to ring Abbey from Sanfransisco to get my card unblocked......17p for a 20 min international call. :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi there Funsters,

I was surprised to see that my PayPal account had given Skype two payments of €25 in the last two days. This wasn't right!

I checked my Skype account and watched as someone was running up a bill using my account (with automatic top up.)

Panic!!!

First thing was to stop the automatic top up. I did that but I was still €28 in credit and calls were still being made. I changed my password and that seems to have stopped it (at €24)

PHEW!

Now I am trying and trying and trying to find a contact email or phone or something to let Sype know what has been happening. Does anyone know how to contact Skype?

JJ

I recommend everyone cancels their automatic top ups to Skype. If I hadn't noticed it could have been much more than the €40 I have lost...:cry:

JJ, DO YOU HAVE A PROPER VIRUS PROTECTION???? and I dont mean the free ones, there not worth the risk, I think we talked about this before!!!

Doug...

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks folks... I've contacted Skype... abuse has stopped since password change... only started after connecting to an open wi-fi connection using antenna amplifier... I blame Viv but he is refusing to reinburse my €40!!!!

JJ

(Doug, it would have cost me more than €40 for the anti-virus protection you've got so I reckon I'm still in front, especially when Viv coughs up....):Cool:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Thanks folks... I've contacted Skype... abuse has stopped since password change... only started after connecting to an open wi-fi connection using antenna amplifier...

Aha, now it becomes clear,

I had a problem with Skype this week and their customer service sorted it quickly (Technical not payment) in fact at one time I had three people e-mailing me with suggestions.

I'm very impressed because with VOIPbuster all I could ever get was an automated response which was no help (They rarely are)

For all you people who might be considerin voice over internet do NOT under any circumstances go to VOIPbuster you will regret it, stick with SKYPE

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Thanks folks... I've contacted Skype... abuse has stopped since password change... only started after connecting to an open wi-fi connection using antenna amplifier... I blame Viv but he is refusing to reinburse my €40!!!!

JJ

(Doug, it would have cost me more than €40 for the anti-virus protection you've got so I reckon I'm still in front, especially when Viv coughs up....):Cool:

Not true JJ. If you had a decent firewall the problem would never have started, and what makes you think that some other problem (possibly more serious) is not going to happen in the future?

As to the cost, search on "Kaspersky" its not as expensive as you think, but then if you want to keep your head in the sand, don't let me stop you.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back