WARNING....MICE.... (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Time to protect your pride and joy if not continously in use. The meeces are coming in looking for a warm bed.
They have already started here :Eeek::Eeek::boxing::boxing:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
already trapped one in the house.. bugger was in the kitchen food cupboard eating flour ..

where do you think is a good place to put the traps in the van ?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
already trapped one in the house.. bugger was in the kitchen food cupboard eating flour ..

Put them near to any where there is a root to food ensure all food is removed from the van and hover out all food storage arias then wipe over with savlon or Dettol.
empty under bead storage arias wipe with Dettol or savlon we have done this for years and never had a problem but we do use our van prity much all year round
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
One of the worst places for mice is farm property where hay and silage is stored, also chicken farms and cabins.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
OMG. I had terrible experiences last year. I have started doing all the small things to try and keep them at bay... lavendar oil, peppermint oil, garlic cloves especially in cupboards and on floor, paraffin in a container with rag soaked in it. Can't stand the thought of another invasion.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Put them near to any where there is a root to food ensure all food is removed from the van and hover out all food storage arias then wipe over with savlon or Dettol.
empty under bead storage arias wipe with Dettol or savlon we have done this for years and never had a problem but we do use our van prity much all year round
bill

likewise.. Bill, we always remove dried food and clean the van thoroughly after every trip, never had any problems ..

I've seen the damage a mouse can do to a wiring loom.. and it can cost hundreds to repair..

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I keep my caravan in a field , next to a stable , I never have had a problem with them , mind you between ourselves and the neighbours we had 9 cats

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Already had to do battle with the mice at my elderly mothers home. She insisted on humane traps so that I could let the little sod out - however, after 3 attempts to catch, and the peanut butter jar going gone down rapidly, I said enough is enough. Got the proper traps and within 24 hours garrotted 2!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
cute-mouse.jpg

..........how could you?..........:crying:

:)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I suspect they follow urine trails. Once one finds a way in and marks its route, others follow. This year I poured peppermint essence on places in the engine bay where I know they've been before, and left an upturned ice cream carton with blue bait blocks secured inside (and an entrance hole cut in one end) wedged next to the front wheel. Not much nibbling at the bait, but also no further mouse incursions into the van.

I reckon this year's been less kind to small rodents than last year - there's been very few of them around my workplace, which is a natural target for them.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

I put a bait tray and a couple of bait blocks under the bonnet, not forgetting to remove before driving, also a weatherproof rodent bait box under the motorhome to try and stop them before entry.
The bait needs checking frequently as it goes quite quickly.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i looked at a friends motorhome because of a bad smell from the engine and after parking up. turned out to be a rats nest on the exhaust slow roasting and signs of incursion into the van. his wife was physically sick when she found out.....not pleasant

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I read somewhere on here to use "bounce tumble dryer sheets" around inside the van, been doing that the last year also keeps the van smelling nice ;)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have an electronic mouse thingy running along with some traps.. the traps haven't been used for a year and we are sure the electronic thing works as we have had mice in before it.
Electronic thing sets off internal alarm though so it has to be disabled

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
A friend of mine was driving his car along the motorway when a large rat poked its head up out of the heater vent he very nearly drove off the road ! next day the car went in for a service etc. the mechanics found a nest at the bulkhead /firewall also found loads of rubbish and insulation it turned out that the weekly black bin bags were left by his wife right at the front wheel .(n)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have an electronic mouse thingy running along with some traps.. the traps haven't been used for a year and we are sure the electronic thing works as we have had mice in before it.
Electronic thing sets off internal alarm though so it has to be disabled

Yes we use them.

We have a plug in one at the front and battery operated one at the rear.

I am convinced they work.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Yep. I use a sonic gizmo designed to repel pine marten ( they have a lot of trouble with them in Germany ) It cost about £8 and plugs into the 12volt fag lighter socket and I half close the roof lite blind and lay it upside down on top of it ( so it is aiming its beam downwards ) and that covers the whole van. Also I put a few moth balls around the place (which Jen hates ) and I think that helps with rodent control. BUT, it has no effect on Jenny. :LOL:
I may try bounce sheets instead of moth balls in future though.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Bucket traps by each wheel (YouTube it) caught over a hundred last year!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We use a very effective mouse deterrent, she's called Elsa, and is a British Blue, and I suspect in a previous life she was a witches familiar. Not very friendly, but one hell of a mouser! :D

LuckyLuke

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
France & UK
Funster No
MH
A - Class / Integral
We live in a rural area surrounded by fields, around 10 semi-wild cats who live in one of the sheds helps keep the mice population down, but this year (my first with a moho) I have invested in this - local farmers swear by it - you can spray it on electrical and engine components and its effective for 6 months.. so underside of the van, and the engine bay will be treated, whilst in the interior I'll go for the bounce sheets options (and a thorough clean). The spray isn't cheap (I think about 20 euro) but may be worth looking out for if you holiday in france.
IMG_2860.JPG

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We also use bounce sheets works for us

Think it was me said it originally.

If you can't find Bounce sheets that smell strongly enough, just douse strong kitchen towel sheets with lavender or peppermint oil, and/or dettol etc ..even Domestos bleach .. that works, so far, too.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We keep our Moho on a local farm when not in use, and found mice a real problem at first. Then we read (on this forum) about the marten repellers you can buy on eBay. Seemed worth a try, so we bought one, fitted it with crocodile clips, and I hook it up under the bonnet when we park up at the farm, using an earth, and the Fiat 'jump start' terminal. It hangs down on it's cables, pointing the sound cone down and back, in the hope that this will flood the underside space with irritating sounds to keep meeces at bay. Two years later, still no meeces!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back