Warning Light

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by mike mcglynn, Feb 16, 2014.

1. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hello can any one advise re. a battery symbol in red on dashboard I have just taken van out of storage and this light was on when I started up and it didnt go out on the way home I have charged the battery up on hook up and its says battery good 12.7v but Light still on when I took van back to storage is this light because its not charging from alternator:Sad:eek:r is it something a little more complex:cry:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sounds like alternator fault.

Can you put a meter on the battery then start the engine.

If volts rise its charging...if not it isnt.

3. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Try giving your alternator a tap with the wooden end of a hammer, the brushes may have stuck.:Smile:

4. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

First check the drive belt for the alternator. Check it's there and check the alternator is turning.

Maybe as advised a stuck brush and a tap will clear it but could also be a diode failure etc in the alternator. If you run the engine with say the headlights on is the battery voltage above 14v for a fully charged battery.

Sorry to say if your asking what it could be then there is little option for you. Than to take it to a auto electrician. Having read this not a criticism but an observation.

Good luck.