Warning: Gift voucher scam

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Gromett, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

For those of you who don't keep up with the latest security issues. Please note that scammers are sending out emails purporting to be from Amazon, Apple iTunes store and others. These emails come with an attachment which the email will tell you to open to get your store code.

Do NOT open this file, it contains a virus that may take over your machine.
    The virus varies, but it can steal credentials, install key loggers or be used as a spam sender.

If you are expecting a friend to send you a voucher or receive one that looks convincing it should be in plain text not as an attachment. If you are unsure contact the sender to check first.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

PS: If anyone wants a good source of this info I can recommend
    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/

It doesn't pick up all the security risks, but does highlight the trending ones that are most likely to show up on the average users computer.

3. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

I spent ages setting those spam/scam vouchers out just right, and re-routing via my laptop in hongkong ...hmmph...now ill have to find another way to make some bucks for xmas presents...and petrol.

4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I had one of them, I didn't open it as I don't need anything from apple but thanks for the info lots of people could be scammed with that one.