warning for the use of broadband dongles abroad

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by paulus the woodgnome, Aug 6, 2009.

1. paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome Read Only Funster

went to holland three weeks ago for 5 days and used the internet by the way of a dongle to keep up with my daughters blog on her three week trip to africa only for about an hour at the most for the entire trip,
    my daughter has come back now and has tried to connect to the internet using her dongle and we kept getting a cannot connect message
    i phoned up and they told me that they had suspended the account even though they took the normal rate of money out of my account.
    on asking why they said that because we had took the dongle and used it in holland that we owed them £500 for what we used WHAT
    anyway you thought that they would have emailed us or phoned us to warn us of the costs
    anyway after telling them we were not going to pay and that we would go the our mp, papers etc they have sorted it out as it was the first time we had took it out of the country
    should think so as well as £500 for an hours worth of surfing is pants

I AM TELLING YOU THIS SO TO WARN YOU ALL AND ANYBODY YOU KNOW ABOUT THE COST OF USING BROADBAND ABROAD

£1.50 A MB

Journalism.co.uk :: Downloading One TV Show Abroad Could Cost More Than Your Whole Holiday

2. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

McDonalds is free, try them

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont know about now but vodaphone was £15 per Mb for foriegn usage

just looked and its now £1.50 Mb

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

unlock the dongle and buy a local payg data sim.

5. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

The cost using your dongle abroad, i thought was widely known, the cheapest dongle for the last year to use abroad was the vodaphone one on contract where you could ring up and pay £10 for a straight 24hrs - in one hit wether you wanted to stay on day and night or not, it possibly still is. The EU in brussels have been on the case of the mobile phone suppliers for the last year - hence the drop in call charges whilst abroad but they are still trying to get the mobile internet call charges reduced.
    While having your dongle with you as a 'if needs must' emergancy type thing it is free at mcdonalds and usuallly cheaper to either use an internet cafe or site wifi if you are on a site.
    A lot of the french and spanish companies are tightening up on how they sell dongle sims, and are asking for things like bank account proof, residancy proof etc, before you can get one which is a pain.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  6. johnny K

johnny K Read Only Funster

Hi we found it possble to use a library to pick up internet in Spain. :Smile:

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Im not proud to admit it but a couple of years ago before the dongle took off I conected in france using my PAYG phone as a mobile modem,just to see if it would work:Doh:
    It cost me £35 to view the front page and read two posts:cry::cry:
    Jim still hasnt reimburst me yet:Doh:
    Geo

8. Tinyk

Tinyk Read Only Funster

Orange have a new bundle for their contract data dongles, orange eurpe data daily, comes in about £7.xx + vat per day used and includes the first 50mb, not fantastic but if you use it mainly for forums and catching up on e-mail etc it works out not much diffrent to a paid for wifi connection.

Been using it the last couple days in Germany and whilst its not as good as the UK service its been pretty good, just have to make sure you stay below the 50mb, works midnight to midnight, use any data in the period and they charge you the flat fee, use nothing and you don't pay.

9. champers

champers Funster Life Member

I haven't unlocked my dongle that I had free recently yet, but whilst in France recently John checked on his I phone to compare what the weather was doing in France to the UK a couple of times at most ..cost £25 ... did I really need to know at that price? :Angry::Angry:
    It is norm wet n overcast in Wales n sunny in warm everywhere else ..:Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

the warning has been on here many times

Ralph