Daz n Tina
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
[QUOT
Monster bump as my card was cloned last week..................................I work in the Security Industry and I think I am a clever clogs and do all the right things but no, yesterday afternoon Mrs BB rings to tell me that a new credit card has dropped through the letter box at home. I check on line and where my Nationwide CC bit used to be is................nothing. So I ring and they tell me that 'certain agencies had informed them that my card had been compromised' . My account already shows the correct amount of usage but under a new number...............good on Nationwide but why not alert me a week ago when this is supposed to have happened. They have my up to date contact numbers and email address so it should imo have happened. I suppose they don't know I work away from home (apart from analysing to the nth degree my card usage) but whilst I'm not going to complain I am going to make an observation. In hindsight though at least Nationwide have been proactive, so I shouldn't whinge. I'd give a weeks wages to know where and when and by whom though! Bu##ers!
They are Toe rags arnt they, with regards to how you want to pay me your weeks wages, do you need my account details for direct transfer or would you pay me cash? The person cloning the cards is Tootles, look forward to receiving my wedge.:xrofl:

Reactions: GJH

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
He's down for the night but I am minded (heard that on a repeat of Judge John Deed once and always wanted to use it) to have it out with the bugger first thing in the morning! Will a large bottle of Leffe do?:xgrin:

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
Daz n Tina
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
He's down for the night but I am minded (heard that on a repeat of Judge John Deed once and always wanted to use it) to have it out with the bugger first thing in the morning! Will a large bottle of Leffe do?:xgrin:
Lovely, it will be like an angel p.....ing down my tonsils :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Some great advice.
May I also add that its most important that you don't lose sight of your card Always refuse to allow the firm/restaurant employee to take your card to their reception counter if it means you lose sight of it. If they insist (as they don't have a hand held reader) go with it. If your in a business premises such as a garage watch the assistant (he/she) may try to distract you and if they bend down behind the counter there's a good chance they're cloning your card using another reader concealed beneath the counter
Many (possibly most) of the scams these days do not require physical access to the cards.

The card issuing companies allow transactions to be processed without the use of any of the security precautions (like PIN and CVV2 number) being used. They would rather give priority to transaction throughput (which is what generates their profits) than bother about the inconvenience to customers.

When a scam happens the card issuers doesn't care as they reclaim any money refunded from the retailer. Big retailers don't care as the increased throughput generates more profit than the refunds they have to give. Neither card issuers nor big retailers care about small retailers not end users.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
And its going to get worse with the introduction of the new wireless readers. Its the Same with the new passports. If your carrying it you will leave an electronic trial of everywhere you go

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm quite surprised it was cloned on a payage machine as there are usually high level security cameras watching and you don't use a pin not saying it can't happen but just a thought.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm quite surprised it was cloned on a payage machine as there are usually high level security cameras watching and you don't use a pin not saying it can't happen but just a thought.
The point is that it probably wasn't a payage machine. When it happens we each tend to look at a link to our own activity, based on the misinformation put out by the card issuers as to security tools employed. It is only when one delves into it further (I contacted the bank, FCA and Payments Council/UK Cards Association) that one finds how lax security actually is.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I would suggest, after a skim read of this thread, that the weak point in security was the use of a credit card on an unsecured network, NEVER EVER DO THIS!!! I work in computer security, and I would never input credit card details on a network that I hadn't secured myself, ie my own, or the office (also set up by me).

With regards to skimming devices at atm's, there was a study done not so long back, that showed that around 80% of us do not take the simple precaution of covering the keypad when entering the PIN, this will defeat all but the most technical atm scam! Personally I cover my hand with my wallet, and also, prior to putting the wallet over my hand, I position my fingers over the wrong numbers, just to be annoying.

I can't find who posed the question now, regarding pre-paid cards on the peage. For some peculiar reason these are not accepted, there is no pre-paid card that will be accepted. I suspect that this is because a check is required to check available funds on these, this would be inefficient on a motorway, so a card with some form of credit will not need this for small transactions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Hymie, you seem to be on the ball, good advice all round.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back