Warning - asl

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sdc77, Aug 16, 2013.

1. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

A reminder to all that from today those advanced stop lines (the cycle boxes at junctions) become enforceable with Three points and a fine..
    .. Another attack on the motorists :Angry:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Far from another attack on the motorists.

Drive within the regulations and you will not be stopped. You have the choice of a fine and points, or an education course if you don't.

ONLY A FOOL BREAKS THE TWO SECOND RULE.

The Highway Code lays down the rules. Stick within the rules. There is no excuse for not doing so.

• Like Like x 6
  3. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

I fail to see how this is an attact on motorists, the box is there to assist cyclist, to many motorist edge or drive into the box with no regard to the safety of cyclist.

• Like Like x 5
  4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I agree!

I tire sometimes of the fabled 'Motorist'. That most noble of members of society, always right, always above the law and so sadly persecuted by the police.
    Rubbish!!!!
    If you drive a vehicle in an illegal manner, you get punished. End of! Its time to man up folks, having a driving license doesn't give you immunity from the laws of the land!

Rant over!!!:BigGrin:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

Sorry, what's a cycle box:Eeek:

6. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Another-- Don`t pull out if some one flashes you out, it`s a scam and someone will drive in to you and claim, saying you pulled out in front of them :Eeek:

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Glad you asked - I am struggling as well:Blush:

8. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

It's the box at the front at junctions, traffic lights etc and usually has a drawing of a bike on it, that's if your not already in the box and can't see the drawing. :thumb:

9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I can't remember seeing any to be honest.

I always thought you had to be tight to the line at traffic lights in order to execute a racing start.

You watch Lewis Hamilton he is tight to his grid box at the start.

• Like Like x 5
  10. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

[​IMG]
    How many people even knew these were enforceable.. And have been for 18 years
    Roads were / are built for vehicular traffic.. Not cycles.. They should be building cyclones and tracks not adapting junctions like this..
    In London a good percentage of cyclists just ignore junctions anyway and either use the pavement or cycle by the credit lights.
    Cyclists are anonymous with no insurance and immune from most road trafficegislation.. Cars are an easy target..

• Like Like x 6
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

Honestly don't think I have ever seen one, are they all green or just lines on the road:Blush:

12. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Utter Rubbish being spouted here !!!

Why not have dig at Horse riders as well, and what about pedestrians having the gall to use the road !!:Doh:

Cycles were in abundance way before the horseless carriage !

You are deffo on a loser on this one pal !!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  13. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

They (red boxes) started springing up around here a few years ago. They protect cyclists (or allow them to obstruct motor vehicles depending on your point of view) and also allow larger vehicles such as buses to turn onto narrow streets. I have not seen any green ones though, surely the should be standardised.
    My point is, these things just started appearing and there was NO accompanying publicity. Is being able to read the minds of planners a driving test requirement. It wasn't when I took mine.

14. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Like a cricket box for playing cricket ,but one that cyclists use to make them look big under the tight lycra

• Like Like x 4
  15. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I wonder if they should bring back the public service announcements that used to appear on TV. They were often used to remind road users of how they should conduct themselves in various traffic situations, and explain these kind of road features.

e.g.:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXkYvs-NbM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Public Information Film - Pedestrian Crossing - YouTube[/ame]
    Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  16. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

They've always been enforceable. I guess the change is that there is now a specific on-the-spot fine available.

The law says that if there are two stop lines, you must stop before the first, if possible, but always before the second. I.e. ending up in the cycle part because you couldn't stop before the first line but there wasn't time to go through the second is not an offence. However, if you trundle over the advanced line when you could have easily stopped, it is an offence.

17. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

There will never be any publicity. The responsibility is with you so that you cannot claim ignorance of the law in your defence.

18. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Its the box you mount on your cycle rack, silly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

I do remember some publicity when they were introduced. About 25 years ago. However, they don't really need publicity. It is obvious what they are there for. The road surface colour has no bearing on the box, just like with bus lanes. It is the solid white lines that have the authority. Many are unpainted.

20. GlobeStar

GlobeStar Read Only Funster

How many people even knew these were enforceable.. And have been for 18 years
    Roads were / are built for vehicular traffic.. Not cycles.. They should be building cyclones and tracks not adapting junctions like this..
    In London a good percentage of cyclists just ignore junctions anyway and either use the pavement or cycle by the credit lights.
    Cyclists are anonymous with no insurance and immune from most road trafficegislation.. Cars are an easy target..[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but why would I be anonymous? I cycle I pay my tax on both my car and m/h. Why are all cyclists tarred with the same brush. Some motorists are really crap drivers does that make all drivers crap? I am also insured when on my bike with third party insurance and the bike is insured on my home policy when at home, so I pay in effect two lots of insurance.

• Like Like x 2