Wardrobe floor access hole

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Pugboxter, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Pugboxter

Pugboxter

The floor in my wardrobe is a bit of a pain to get out for doing jobs, granted that it is something very infrequently used.

Now I'd like to cut out a large access hole leaving just a couple of inches around the edges, could someone with such an arrangement as standard give a brief description of how the removeable bit is stopped from falling through the hole. I'm just thinking of using strips of wood around the four edges.

thanks

2. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

Not knowing your layout, but it sounds easier to cut a hole leaving an inch or two all the way around then just bin the bit in the middle, then just make a new bottom to cover the entire floor and hole...?
    Making the original fit is a lot more complex, means the "cut" has to be perfect, and you have to work out a mechansim for it to stay in place.

3. robnchris

robnchris Funster

I would go with this recommendation simple and effective, don`t forget to cut a small hole in the middle, large enough to get a finger inside so you can lift the false bottom out.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  4. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

Now everyone knows where your safe is:Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. robnchris

robnchris Funster

false bottoms

Have just re-read our post and the imagination was working away very hard :whistle:

decided there are just too many connotations that could be used with "small holes, false bottoms and fingers" so I`m throwing this shovel away and sitting on my hands.:Doh:
    Opps there we go again..:Rofl1:

6. Pugboxter

Pugboxter

You'd have easily got away with that one............ but now you mention it........hmmm don't think I'd have ever spotted that one.

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You will have to remove the pain in the a**e floor once more to use my method
    with floor on a bench on the reverse side mark out the desired hatch you require
    on one of the lines drill a hole to allow your jigsaw blade to slip in, cut halfway round, then fit two hinges,over the cut section on the finished side (making sure the hinge covers your drill hole) finish off the cut and hey presto a perfect fit trap door
    glue a piece of ply to the opposite side of the hinges to carry the trap door when shut.
    The first drill hole should of course be on the line you want the hinges to be
    using this method doors can be any shape you like even with nice rounded corners and they fit every time:thumb:
    Oh and dont forget the finger hole to open it:Doh:
    Geo

8. Mick H

Mick H Read Only Funster

All I did on our motorhome wardrobe was to simply remove the screws that were holding the wardrobe floor down. It can now be easily lifted in order to stow things inside.
    This is an easy mod, depending on individual wardrobe designs, of course.

9. Pugboxter

Pugboxter

Thanks Mick, that's exactly the same conclusion I came too earlier this afternoon, after all it isn't an area you need access to very much.

Thanks for the replies eveyone :Smile: