War museums and cemeteries (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Warmuseums.net aims to provide a large number of photographs of museums, memorials and military cemeteries in Belgium and Luxembourg to the veterans and students of World War II alike. The focus in the on those who took part in the Battle of the Bulge.

Use Warmuseums.net as a guide to locations which you may like to visit during your stay in Belgium and Luxembourg, or simply as a photographic primer on the World War II related sites in the area.

This map section of Google aims at showing up locations and photos of museums, military cemeteries, war memorials and re-enactment events depicted on my website.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=216061357022955499889.00046372674242396a8b4&ll=51.179343,7.646484&spn=28.124359,46.054688&t=h&z=4

http://www.warmuseums.net

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks Jim

I will never forget our trip to Ypres in Belgium at the end of our grand and first tour in 2008. An experience everyone should do. The Menin Gate, Tyne Cot Cemetery and the Yorkshire Trenches were very moving.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim

I will never forget our trip to Ypres in Belgium at the end of our grand and first tour in 2008. An experience everyone should do. The Menin Gate, Tyne Cot Cemetery and the Yorkshire Trenches were very moving.

Haven't done that yet Barry .. but we did visit the American WW1 cemetery near Stenay (sorry can't recall the name) .. it was a moving experience .. the grass looked like it were cut with nail clippers.. not a blade out of line .. not a fallen leaf in sight and the stones so perfectly aligned ..

Just across the road there was a German soldiers cemetery. Sadly, it was badly neglected.. :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have visited a few but that is really helpful thanks.

My grandfather died in Japan in WW2 and is buried in Yokahama just outside Tokyo. We visited about 8 years ago and it is so very well looked after by (I think) the War Graves Commission. Grass beatifully cut and a serene experience even though its only a short walk from the hustle and bustle of Yokahama.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Scilla and I have had the privilege, for many years, of visiting these all over Europe, often with veterans, and have many moving experiences.

Perhaps the most moving of all, and it brings tears behind my eyes as I write, was when I was in Normandy, on a D-Day commem. Three ex-tankers were looking at graves of fallen comrades, and one said "Oh, I remember them - when the Tigers hit us - who was our troop corporal that week?" That week!!! l'd been due to speak that evening - I couldn't.

Or taking our granddaughters, and hearing one remark - "look how young they were... but if Hitler had won, I'd be alright as I'm blond, but they'd have taken you away because you're dark haired".

Or walking over Hill 112, with my late father, a member of the DCLI, and others. Or, or, so many memories.

I think the CWGC monuments are so very right, every man, whatever the rank, the same sacrifice, the same headstone. I don't like the US ones, showing different faiths, as if that mattered to the remains. German ones are almost caricatures in dark granite, often with two in a single grave.

Move on, but don't forget.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Jim

We did 'the tour' in 2008 also. We were there in August.

Remember Tynecot where the names of the fallen are read out daily so they will never be forgotten.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We did the Ypres /Tyncote / Menin Gate / Trenches / the museums etc a few years back - very moving - never ceases to amaze me the extent of Mans inhumanity to Man - I can understand some of it but it needs to be experienced first hand to appreciate the true horrors of WW1 and 2 - all being well we will take our grandson over there this year so he can see first hand what it was all about. It may just curb a little bit the interest in x box style war games

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back