wanted !!! Please, must visit places etc Brittany (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi funsters,
Just thinking of a couple of weeks in Brittany next Sept,
Any suggestions on places worth visiting /must see or best aires or municipal c/sites.
Been to Fougere, carnac & Quiberon last year on a quick visit.
Whats your favourites
thanks Terry Fidget alias Onestone

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Dinan,a must see, Jugon les lacs, Moncontour, Cancale ( for the oysters). All near St Malo. For beaches in the same area go to Val Andre, Erquy, and Sable D,or. Closeby on the Cote, d amor.
Phil

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Sorry Terry, but we haven't been in that area for about 15 + years (pre camping car era), so can't recall too many places. There was one particular village which we remember as being attractive, but can't remember the name, just that it had quite a small church with wooden benches as pews and an earth floor. I think it was necessary to park cars just outside of the village and walk in. Perhaps others can come up with a name.

We loved watching the sun setting over Roscoff from St Pol de Leon.

We will be in that area in March, visiting the Rapido factory, with our club and I will see if I can find any additional suggestions for interesting places.

J

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
with kids Carnac and around hard to beat...and along the coast Benodet a nice spot. weather can start getting iffy in September mind......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Locronan is well worth a visit. Enter from the West via the roundabout at the junction of the D63 and D7.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Morlaix is a nice town for a visit

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
How easy is it to get a factory visit to Rapido?
Sorry, Abacist, but I don't know. It is one of our (French) club members who has made the arrangements. I can email him if you wish and try to get a name and tel / email info. So as to not go off thread, perhaps you can PM me.

John

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Anyone visiting Brittany who doesn't spend some time on the Pink Granite Coast around Tregastel is a damn fool in my humble opinion. Take it or leave it :)

Broken Link Removed (Click pic for a bigger one)

If you want big wide sandy beaches with waves (when the conditions are right) try the Pointe de la Torche. Here's a 360 panorama from the Pointe:

Broken Link Removed (Click pic for a bigger one)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I had my best meal ever in Vannes some years ago.

It was slow cooked lamb shank which I have had many times before and since but my god it was delicious.

Washed down with a bottle of Merlot(y)

I can remember having a very lovely smoked salmon and pasta dish in Vannes - isn't funny how food sticks in the memory

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
If you like old cars / bikes /engines give Loheac museum / race circuit a visit you can free camp in large car park with your own facilities spent two days there last time we went cheap and better than Beaulieu

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry Terry, but we haven't been in that area for about 15 + years (pre camping car era), so can't recall too many places. There was one particular village which we remember as being attractive, but can't remember the name, just that it had quite a small church with wooden benches as pews and an earth floor. I think it was necessary to park cars just outside of the village and walk in. Perhaps others can come up with a name.

We loved watching the sun setting over Roscoff from St Pol de Leon.

We will be in that area in March, visiting the Rapido factory, with our club and I will see if I can find any additional suggestions for interesting places.

J[/QUOTE
I think this village is Josselin - it is really lovely and well worth a visit. Also beautiful stained glass windows in the little church. Not far to walk in from a very large car park and good places to eat. A must see!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not really answering your question but where to go in Brittany in September? Anywhere, if the weather is good. Turn right out of Roscoff for example and follow the coast, explore the creparies of Finistaire!

Go during a spring tide, around 14th September, and you might see hundreds of locals out at low tide foraging for anything edible from the sea. It's quite a social event. I've seen it on the coast south of Sarzau, a shade to the east of Quiberon , but I am sure it happens elsewhere.

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
If you can do, make a point of visiting Puy du Fou. It has to be Frances best kept secret.
http://www.puydufou.com/en/
It is near Cholet and has it's own aire. ALLOW MORE THAN ONE DAY or you will miss out! The Dutch chap in the motorhome next to us advised us that one day would not be enough and he was right. If you can, include the ScenieCine option - spectacular! To get the best deals book online rather than at the gate.

Wyn

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
Depends n what you like but valley of the saints at carneot springs to mind and also bon repos but there so many places. Lac de guerlidan is being emptied at mo (to service generation equipment) will be refilled next year never to be emptied again.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I enjoyed a stay at Turballe an old fishing town now turned to leisure. Marina, restaurants & shops.
Then on to Arzon which has a nice aire very close to the beach. One of the largest marinas I've seen. I also went for a couple of hours on a boat trip around the gulf of Morbihan (from port Navalo). Pointe du Raz is good on a clear day. There is an aire there but you are very restricted in what you can and can't do (no dumping of grey/black and there is no water for filling fresh tank). It's also expensive at €15 per night.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Bumps the thread back to the top so it doesn't disappear off bottom of page, giving more people chance to see it.

Wyn

OK. I admit it!

I don't know what "bump" means!(n)

Enlightenment please?:)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Cancale - the oyster capital !

http://www.brittanytourism.com/discover-brittany/quintessential-brittany/cancale

If you like em, walk along the 'prom' past all the expensive restaurants with their white tablecloths and ice buckets, to the corner where there are stalls selling them at a fraction of the price, they open em, stick them on a proper oyster dish except theirs are disposable plastic ones, cut a lemon in two and give you one half, a sealed handwipe and a paper napkin, offer you pepper/paprika and charge you an absolute fraction of the posh prices. Then wander over to the white wine stall and get that, walk another few paces and there are long steps up to the road again, which everyone sits on to devour their huitres.

Neither of us actually likes them - but it's worth going just for a look to say you've been !

The Puy du (de?) Fou show is I think, only on during the summer - the website will say though.

adrkjr

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome
Exp
2 years
We were in Benodot. Last two weeks of August. Nice little town although touristy bits and shops starting to shut down beginning of September. Noticed a few motorhomes parked at the East end of town, overlooking the beach. Not sure if overnighting or just parked up. Weather was a bit iffy, like Cornwall really. Quimper is worth a visit.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Strictly speaking Puy du Fou is in Vendee, not Brittany. You'd have to drive through the Loire-Atlantique department from Brittany to get to it. I agree that it's well worth a visit though.

We've done it all in a single day, including a themed mid-day meal with entertainment, and the CineScenie at night, but you have to juggle the overlapping spectacle timetables carefully so you don't end up with long gaps in between the shows. Two days would certainly be needed if you had youngsters (or oldsters) with you. The last time we were there the CineScenie only ran on Friday and Saturday nights because loads of local people (including children) are in the cast of thousands and they're not available at other times. The Puy du Fou aire is the biggest I've seen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back