Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi all
We are looking for an A Frame. Yes, we have heard all the discussions thanks..... I understand that there are basically three different brands, Chris Cox, Towtal and Car a Tow? I do not have a preference, through ignorance really because I don't know anything about them.
If anyone can help please PM or Email me to start discussions.....
Many thanks

Keith

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Have you thought of fleabay. Intertrade sell the type that the recovery boys use. A friend of mine bought one recently for £250ish, it was cheaper from ebay than direct from intertrade.

bigal

Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 months
A Frame

Hi Keith
There is an ad in Mays MMM in motorcaravanners mart......
Brand new A-Frame in box £150 o.n.o.
tel. 01461 337882
Worth a try
Al

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Andy
I believe that those A Frames are for recovery only and should only be used to move a vehicle to a safe position, not to be used for A-B transportation, thanks for the info though, much appreciated matey :thumb:
Pat I have sent you a PM :thumb::thumb:

Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I love my Chris Cox frame and its being swapped over to the new toad. I am having Chris do it as he knows exactly what he's doing and don't want the worry of any mistakes or bodges:winky:

Are we going to see another Sooty?

Pats sounds a good deal if you can purchase the right receptor for your toad:thumb:

Last edited:

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Keith. Can thoroughly recommend Car A Tow in Poole. I guess its a bit of a jaunt from where you live. Your right about the ones the repair guys use, dont touch them for towing safely at normal speeds. Theyre meant like you said for towing at low speeds to a place of safety only. Towtal also have a good name i gather. See you at parc verger if not before. We may get to stratford again if gwens hip has mended by then.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Keith

What are you wanting to tow???

They do some great towing systems from USA for RVs but the list of adaptor kits for Euro cars is somewhat limited. :Eeek:

We tow our Jeep Cherokee behind the Concord and the system is fantastic :thumb:

Give us a clue :Doh::thumb:

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
a frame

had two a frames both supplied and fitted by towtal at stoke.they are great,and the service is excellent.towed a fiat seicento for over a year no probs cruise at 60,and now tow a merc vaneo still crusing at 60.i am disabled and the wife puts it on and i just watch and guide her.so how good is that.they also give you all the bumf to give plod in all different countries in all differnt lingos to say they are legal and the tow car is a trailer.MUZ

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks all for all of your kind replies. We were going to look at a Mercedes S class 500, but I understand that you cannot tow them on an A Frame, so we will have to consider something else :ROFLMAO:
I am hopeful that we will have a new little addition later today and it seems that I have the A Frame sorted out now (brand new and fitted for under £500, can't be bad.....). Once again, many thanks for taking the time to respond :thumb::thumb:

Keith

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi Keith,

A brand new A-Frame including fitting for under £500 seems a very good price.

Care to share where such a deal can be done? I'm sure others may be very interested in this :Smile:

Bryan

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Wow that is cheap £500:Eeek:

Are you sure its braked? and how are you going about lighting? direct through the car or trailer board? I started out through the car light but most unsatisfactory even though Chris Cox did the work so now use trailer board:winky:

Last edited:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hmmmm an 'A' frame £500 fitted that sounds really good makes my secondhand 'A' frame look dear!!!!!

However I bought an 18 month old 56 plate 5 door Perodua here off the 'Fun' classifieds, just over 6500 miles taxed till Nov 08 complete with fitted 'A' frame, wired electrics, removable rear number plate with a 'Brake Buddy' for under £3000!!! Also it drives very well and at 70mpg I'm using it back and forth to work instead of my diesel Merc Estate.

Keith glad you got sorted.

Regards Pat

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Not very satisfactory hanging a lighting board on the back of a nice car. Car A Tow did a superb job of all the electrics on our Vauxhall Agila, never had a scrap of bother. Dont forget the two Reflective Triangles keith for the Back. I stuck ours on the inside of the Agilas back window rather than stick them on the cars bodywork. If you arent given all the paperwork in various languages for plod with the A Frame I could copy ours for you. You wont know yourselves when you get onsite now and need to go shopping at the last minute or out for a meal. We find our little car a godsend wherever we go, home and abroad.

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Thanks all for all of your kind replies. We were going to look at a Mercedes S class 500, but I understand that you cannot tow them on an A Frame, so we will have to consider something else :ROFLMAO:
I am hopeful that we will have a new little addition later today and it seems that I have the A Frame sorted out now (brand new and fitted for under £500, can't be bad.....). Once again, many thanks for taking the time to respond :thumb::thumb:

Keith

after a lot of what to do or not, I settled for a Tow dolly from the states, its fully braked folds up when not in use and it would tow your S500 no problem, and saves having another car to tax and ins, im now selling my Ligier and will take any car up to 2.75 ton
Paul

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
after a lot of what to do or not, I settled for a Tow dolly from the states, its fully braked folds up when not in use and it would tow your S500 no problem, and saves having another car to tax and ins, im now selling my Ligier and will take any car up to 2.75 ton
Paul
Well I hope its different to what we call a tow dolly:Doh:
Not wishing to open old wounds but it is generally excepted ( and I use that term very loosely)that the A frame is used in a shady grey type area of ignorance by both the user and law enforcers, were as the towing dolly set up is clearly defined as a recovery only option, and subject to very severe speed restrictions, if you knew that please except my egg sucking instructions as they were intended,
to try and save you grief
Geo

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Well I hope its different to what we call a tow dolly:Doh:
Not wishing to open old wounds but it is generally excepted ( and I use that term very loosely)that the A frame is used in a shady grey type area of ignorance by both the user and law enforcers, were as the towing dolly set up is clearly defined as a recovery only option, and subject to very severe speed restrictions, if you knew that please except my egg sucking instructions as they were intended,
to try and save you grief
Geo

Oh now come on Geo.........:Eeek:........do please tell us all about the ins and outs of A Frame legalities i remember someone once told me thay might not be legal :Doh: can you confirm this??? :thumb:

It must be at least 3 milliseconds since this has been discussed at great length so its only right that Geo shines the light for us all to follow :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Just so eveyone knows I tow my Jeep behind the RV on an A frame and brake buddy and will continue to do so until someone gets locked up for it or someone in authority tells me its ok ::bigsmile: (in which case i will still be towing the Jeep behind me :ROFLMAO:)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Dazzer Geo was questioning the wisdom of using a towing dolly, as their is no "grey area" where they are concered, not an "A" Frame.

Olley

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Keith, That is a great deal, can you share the name of who is doing it?:thumb:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
bump as we all won't to know where you get it from at this price cheapest we have been quoted is £799 inc collection delivery back and vat
so come on kands share your secret and we can all save some money:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
ruth

C

cherokee7

Deleted User
I have the A Frame sorted out now (brand new and fitted for under £500

I would be very interested in an A frame for under £500. However your reluctance to share the information on where such a deal can be had makes me suspect that this deal is too good to be true.

I am not suggesting that you are lying of course, but that there has been some sort of mistake made. I do hope you prove me wrong- under £500 for new A frame is very good price. So please where can I find this deal?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oh now come on Geo.........:Eeek:........do please tell us all about the ins and outs of A Frame legalities i remember someone once told me thay might not be legal :Doh: can you confirm this??? :thumb:

It must be at least 3 milliseconds since this has been discussed at great length so its only right that Geo shines the light for us all to follow :thumb::ROFLMAO:
What a totalaly patronising way to reply to a post, Dazzer
had I realised you would be reading it, i would have used pictures to help you :Doh:
Geo

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
What a totalaly patronising way to reply to a post, Dazzer
had I realised you would be reading it, i would have used pictures to help you :Doh:
Geo

Bloody hell Geo did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning??:Eeek:

It wasnt patronising...it was meant to be funny :Sad: Hence all the smilees

Oh well i guess that one went down like a lead balloon :Blush:

No offence was intended and i apologise if thats the way it was taken :Blush:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Dazzer why not have your RV sale on a click-able link in your sig?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Like This Link Removed

Go to control panel/edit signature.Just Type the text, highlight it, click in the link icon at the top and paste in the URL/ADDRESS of the location of your ad.

I believe you can also do it by selecting a Picture and attaching the link.

I see you can select the space between the SIGPIC SIGPIC. tags in the sig.I wonder if that works with the pic?

ERR No It doesn't.

But it DOES if you highlight the 2 SIGPIC TAGS AS WELL.:thumb:::bigsmile:

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Any news yet where this A frame fitted for £500 is coming from. I have an A frame I need fitting so it would be of great help

stew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back