Want to upgrade existing radio (1 Viewer)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My '07 Swift Bolero is fitted with the original Blaupunkt Las Vegas DVD35 and the CD player has packed up. Decided I would like to upgrade to DAB radio and also have the ability to play our music collection, currently on a portable hard drive. We have never used the DVD player ability - in fact I don't think it actually works, the screen is just used for the reversing camera (which I was going to replace with a 2-view unit, but that's another story).

So after scouring the internet (well looked at a few sites) popped along to my local Halfords and chose a nice Pioneer unit that does all I wanted plus a lot more, and organised an appointment to fit before we headed off to Italy. But when I got home I re-checked the specs and found a problem.

The Blaupunkt obviously provides the audio for the TV/DVD etc. through a rear auxiliary input connection apparently using a Blaupunkt cable. However the Pioneer, and in fact all of the single-din range of radios I have been able to check, doesn't have a rear input. They most all have a front input, as well as a front USB socket, designed to connect an ipod etc. but the last thing I want is a cable sticking out of the head unit, which I would then have to disconnect every time I took the fascia off (for security). I have found a couple with a rear USB input but technically I'm not sure that could be used.

The guys at Halfords did try but couldn't come up with anything, except maybe a double-din unit which I don't really want as I use the "other slot" for something else. So my question is, does anyone know of an up-to-date replacement head unit with a rear auxiliary input that is not USB - although if you think a USB could be used that might help.

Sorry it's a bit long-winded, but wanted to give a full picture. I may end up going to one of the dedicated car stereo outfits but was trying not to get too badly stung! Thanks for any help or advice.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Can't help your direct question, but our head unit has rear inputs for USB and 15-pin iPad/iPhone connector, but it also has an extension lead that I've carried through to the top glove box. It avoids the problems you mention and makes the rear connections convenient. Can Halfords supply an extension lead?

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Haven't had the unit out yet but in view of the age I presume the Blaupunkt lead is connected via the old 2-plug system. Is there such a thing as a twin stereo lead to a USB plug I wonder? Will check.

Whilst I find Halfords generally pretty okay, they don't seem to have the detailed knowledge that a dedicated audio guy has. Not surprising considering all the other gizmos they're expected to fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Haven't had the unit out yet but in view of the age I presume the Blaupunkt lead is connected via the old 2-plug system. Is there such a thing as a twin stereo lead to a USB plug I wonder? Will check.

Whilst I find Halfords generally pretty okay, they don't seem to have the detailed knowledge that a dedicated audio guy has. Not surprising considering all the other gizmos they're expected to fit.

Don't know if it helps, but not long ago I think @haganap started a thread on radios and there was a lot of advice given on it .... hopefully Paul will see this and be able to point us all to it.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Blaupunkt Columbia,@Jim had one fitted by Vanbitz, not cheap but highly recommended.

Spud

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Hmmm the Blaupunkt in our Fiat based Lunar packed up ruining CD's so looked for something a little different
SO from Ebay we got a UK based seller with a Radio with flip up 7" screen and built in Sat Nav

Not gone for DAB as Euro DAB is different to UK system so a little redundant as we plan on spending quite a few months a year over the channel but he system can read USB sticks, SD cards play MP3/4/5 but the main thing is the Sat Nav system is similar to our Xgody 7 inch and is at a good height to see and obviously hear through the cab speakers will be road testing tomorrow

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hmmm the Blaupunkt in our Fiat based Lunar packed up ruining CD's so looked for something a little different
SO from Ebay we got a UK based seller with a Radio with flip up 7" screen and built in Sat Nav

Not gone for DAB as Euro DAB is different to UK system so a little redundant as we plan on spending quite a few months a year over the channel but he system can read USB sticks, SD cards play MP3/4/5 but the main thing is the Sat Nav system is similar to our Xgody 7 inch and is at a good height to see and obviously hear through the cab speakers will be road testing tomorrow

Thanks Graham but I don't want another satnav, quite happy with my TomTom also don't particularly want a double din either, although I'm not ruling it out if I can't get what I want in a single din unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Blaupunkt Columbia,@Jim had one fitted by Vanbitz, not cheap but highly recommended.

Spud

Yes, very nice but apart from being very pricey, it again is double din and I don't need another satellite. But thanks anyway.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Yes I have changed mine to a Alpine unit but again this is double din so won't be much use I am afraid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back