want to bling up beloved m home - any views on wrapping bonnet ? (1 Viewer)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Greetings .. We have an oldish Hymer 514, used for us in Europe as often as possible- and 3 grandchildren who we take away for weekends/Legoland/Glastonbury [coming up soon Huzzah] and so can never sell herself until kids Too Old to come with us [which will be never.. waaaaa] as it has 6 belted seats and we all squish in it, other models of same length/spec NOT available.
Every year I toy with idea of a re-upholster/spruce up [van envy] and come to same conclusion - possibly next year ! But Van is jaded due to joyous trips.. recently, idly surfing net I have seen some very swish car -wrap -things- oooh..... so shiny/change colour in temperature changes/sparkly / some with pictures on... So was wondering if we could get the bonnet of the van wrapped as it is dull and stained. Rest of outside is OK; decals intact - but any views on the possible issues of a sparkly bonnet .. adverts say that you can peel it off - do we trust them? Hoping bonnet wrap will be cheap [live in hope] and not look weird. Thoughts welcome. Youngest wants Dinosaur but not likely.Middle one a frozen Fan but even more unlikely ! We are much more sedate; I fancy a pearlescent blue to purple.. Wat you think ? xx

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Wrapping is not an easy job. You need two people to do a bonnet. The stuff sticks like hell so you need a hairdryer or similar to soften as you go and smooth with the proper tool (cheap). Plenty of good advice on YouTube so worth researching carefully beforehand. As for the vinyl......you tend to get what you pay for. I wrapped the whole of the Merc E430 for Rust2Rome for about £50 but had to do it in small sections and had a few failures which needed re-doing. Then again, it is a £500 car so supposed to look tatty anyway..... Hope that helps.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
The aesthetics are up to you! But they do come off just fine.

Boss at previous firm got himself a gold BMW, decided he didn't like it, had it vinyl wrapped in white. Asides from him having more money than sense, the job looked great and you'd never have known that it wasn't that colour from the factory.

When it was peeled off after 3 years - car going back to the lease company - the paintwork underneath was like new.

Vans are quite often wrapped in corporate liveries these days, again when they go back to the lease company the wrap comes off with no ill effects.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, use a hairdryer and it all comes off very easily. All those beige taxis you see in Germany are in fact mostly black and wrapped. It can last ages and you simply cannot tell unless you look very closely

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
leet the kids decide thay will love piking it
bill

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Dear Mr Dux de luxe- no intention of doing it self; disaster in the making I fear...unless I make a crazed fabric cover a la grand daughters party dresses[ sparkly- purple-Grandma capable of this as she is 8]
We have reached the age where first resort for anything a bit tricky is to Get A Man In.
Saying that, we are DIY and decorating fiends- and very tight fisted;I can wield a hair dyer so
..... Hmnn..
would we have to take the bonnet off? If so that is a possible Insurmountable Obstacle as
a]cant reach back of it [teeny tiny peoples] and
b] think we would need the bonnet back on to use the van...sigh . Many experiences of unforseen issues re DIY sadly.
c] advice re 'Not Easy' narrows the eyes.

Thank you all for thoughts xx

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Funnily enough we had this technique applied to our car, which for some unexplained reason was losing paint off the front of the roof panel (well out of warranty of course). Friendly local garage suggested we have it wrapped by a vinyl sign writer he knew. Worked a treat for just over £100. A respray would have been hugely costly.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Dear Mr Dux de luxe- no intention of doing it self; disaster in the making I fear...unless I make a crazed fabric cover a la grand daughters party dresses[ sparkly- purple-Grandma capable of this as she is 8]
We have reached the age where first resort for anything a bit tricky is to Get A Man In.
Saying that, we are DIY and decorating fiends- and very tight fisted;I can wield a hair dyer so
..... Hmnn..
would we have to take the bonnet off? If so that is a possible Insurmountable Obstacle as
a]cant reach back of it [teeny tiny peoples] and
b] think we would need the bonnet back on to use the van...sigh . Many experiences of unforseen issues re DIY sadly.
c] advice re 'Not Easy' narrows the eyes.

Thank you all for thoughts xx
Seriously, it is not that hard, you just need to be careful and methodical. It was quite rewarding to turn this......
image.jpeg

Into this.........
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
wow.. Looks great . maybe we could go all out then - kids choices as Wild Bill suggests.. tee hee...years in the discussion what to have on the logos would ensue. But Beloved would refuse to drive it afterwards I fear .. Tho we all love a tunnocks teacake would need an excuse to brandish one on the van

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
wow.. Looks great . maybe we could go all out then - kids choices as Wild Bill suggests.. tee hee...years in the discussion what to have on the logos would ensue. But Beloved would refuse to drive it afterwards I fear .. Tho we all love a tunnocks teacake would need an excuse to brandish one on the van
You can see the wrinkles by the door handles - difficult to do - but a bonnet is pretty easy - not too many double curves

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Convinced! Thank you all; we will Just Do It [when I say that I mean begin the long process of deciding what colour...style... ] but will post pics before and after . Just dont hold breath, it will be after impending trip to Amsterdam and then Glastonbury. Not a spare moment o_O what with work and browsing M home fun.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
did my van in vinyl wrap. I had nothing to lose as it was about knackered.

Here is the bonnet stage.
https://www.fulltiming.info/self-build-motorhome/vinyl-wrapping-van-part-2

To be fair on the van the hardest bit was the large panels with the indents.

the wing took me 3 attempts, the second wing I got right first time.

Take a bit of figuring out but there are loads of tutorials on youtube which are a great help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back