Wandering......

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by boogie, Jan 13, 2012.

1. boogie

boogie Read Only Funster

Hey! Is it not possible to just take off and see where life leads you, rather than always having to book into sites??? I know August might be difficult or bank hols but apart from that, what's the general idea??

2. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We sold up and went a year ago ... ended up in all sorts of weird places ... :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  3. JJ

JJ Funster

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES...​

Over twenty years full timing in the UK and all over Europe and the only "official" sites I have stayed on have, all bar two or three, been for Fun related meets.

If you are a "official site" only motorhomer it might be different in the busy times and I can't offer any help here.

But as an "offsite motorhomer" when on the road I follow this procedure...

As fatigue approaches I start looking for a suitable stopping place. If it is on a route I have travelled before I may head for one specific location I already know, otherwise I choose a place as I come upon it. True this method sometimes mean a quick sleepover in a less than perfect spot but if I want to have a proper, restful stop I start looking earlier in the day.

When travelling I always keep an eye out for good places that might be used in the future.

Many, many times I have pulled in for a night and found the place so nice that I have stayed a few more nights....

I could never be one of those who plan each night in advance... to me the whole point of a motorhome is the freedom and spontaneity it affords...

JJ. :Cool:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 8
  4. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

As a family we set off for Europe for six weeks each summer, never book anything
    in advance except ferry out and back. We normaly use Aires and Wild camp for most
    of the time. We did last year subscribe to France passion and found it a very
    useful and enjoyable experience when we used it. We also bought Espania Discovery
    which works on the same principal, but found it less useful as the available places to stay
    were much fewer, and pocketed into certain areas.
    We also visited Devon and Cornwall last year for 2 weeks again staying off sites.

Do as we do, get up in the morning look which direction seems to be sunniest and set
    of that way, go as far as you feel like, stop anywhere you fancy, when you want too.
    Enjoy your Holiday thats what matters.

Regards
    Steve

• Like Like x 3
  5. sedge

sedge Funster

We sort of point the van and go where it takes us in the general direction of wherever, but there's no need to actually ever get to wherever. We'll see a sign to eg a lake, a beach, an hysterical monument. Then you get to whatever it is and whilst there you note from some tourist info there's some caverns, a waterfall, a marvellous clock in the vicinity - so you go and have a look at that.

And while you are there ........

And you land up in the opposite direction to where you thought you were going and suddenly you have only 48 hours till the ferry back is leaving ..... and you are 3 days away from it .... :Rofl1:

What is this 'sites' you speak of?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We have a bit of a strange way of doing it, we like to plan where we are making for this year Marjal, book a signal ferry because we never know when we are coming back

Get there,(where ever) then take a month or three slowly making our way back, a few camping cheques / ASCI card / Aires/Wild camping what every takes our fancy.

As you get on the road the other Motorhomers you meet along the way are nearly always willing to pass on places to stay.

• Like Like x 3
  7. boogie

boogie Read Only Funster

m

I've not even had my maiden voyage yet, and trying to work it all out in my head! I'd be concerned that my loo might need emptying, and I might need water, if I werent near a site??? those sort of things???

8. Chris65

Chris65 Read Only Funster

Do you pitch up anywhere then? In the UK?

Cant imagine the local authoritys would even allow you to park at the side of a road all night. Would they?

9. JJ

JJ Funster

Maybe you will be happier to "dip your toe in the water first" rather than jump straight in... Book into a few sites and learn some of the ropes. Maybe you will never want to "off-site" park.

I empty my loo (biological, not nasty blue chemical) in public toilets. If I feel a bit embarrassed because there are a lot of people about I slip the cassette into a bin bag and no one knows what you are carrying!. (I have heard of a guy who made an executive style case on wheels that his cassette fitted into and he would happily wheel it through the lobbies of posh hotels and use their loos!)...

...I pick up water from garages when fuelling and all sorts of other places... I am told cemeteries always have taps although I have never used one yet...

I feel sure you will slowly grow in confidence as you discover what works best for you...

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

You can always find water(garages, supermarkets, Pubs, public Toilets, etc.)
    Same goes for emptying toilet.
    We Buy Bottle Water in Europe, even her in the Uk we fill a seperate 5Litre bottle for cooking and drinking , we only use the vans water tank for washing us and dishes.
    Join something like http://www.britstops.com/ although officially no services are provided
    you will normally find the people helpful.

Do like i do empty and fill at every convenient opportunity dont wait till its too late and the waters empty or the toilets full.

If you wait till you have sorted it all out in your head, you could be dead by then!!!!

Regards
    Steve

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

no secret to parking at the side of the road, cars etc do it all the time and once the curtains are drawn no one knows you are in there anyway. If you only stay one night there is no tijme for any local authority to find out and come aknocking at your door. We do it all the time. We also use public loos as much as possible and a cassette last the two of us a week. Water a bit longer. We carry a hose or two, adapters, watering can and even in public loos you can fill the watering can using a cup if it is a shallow sink and no way to fit a hose. Water really is not a problem. bottled water from a stream will flush the WC if you really need to economise.

12. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

Anyone can hold a Radar key (for the Radar, lockable, disabled loos).

They can be bought from Fleabay. Only a couple of quid.

We have an ordinary shopping trolley big enough for the cassette to fit into. Then we are just shoppers visiting the loo. Makes it more private and we can rinse thoroughly, even clean up if we splash.

June

13. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

True, but fortunatly there is only 21 miles to a more enlightened attitude to motor homes.

Doug...

14. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

we stay on sites put we are all so wild camping tossers as well we love it summer or winter::thumb::thumb:

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

once you get to Dover or Folkstone that is.... :RollEyes::BigGrin:

16. boogie

boogie Read Only Funster

I dont know yet! Its all a BIG learning curve for me! I just didnt fancy having to pre arrange it all, would rather just float???

Just dont know what's feasible and what isnt yet.....

17. boogie

boogie Read Only Funster

Gosh! I'm amazed to hear the cassette lasts two of you a week! and your water tank even longer!! See! I've got to try all this out yet!! She's all ready for my maiden voyage!! thanks for taking the trouble to repy!

18. boogie

boogie Read Only Funster

Sound advice, thanks. No I wont wait.......but she's all drained down at the mo, for winter and I'm workin it all out prior to maiden voyage!! its not easy on your own!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I think Wildman is [STRIKE]constipated[/STRIKE] exaggerating. A toilet cassette does us about 2-3 days at best.

20. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Same for us and the fresh water tank 3 days at most. Can't wait to get off again. :BigGrin:

Ivy