Walmart let you stay for free - do ASDA? (1 Viewer)

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Email sent to ASDA..
Hello i belong to a large online motorhome community and was recently made aware that Walmart USA seem to allow motorhomes to stop overnight on their 24hour sites and was wondering if any such allowance was available in the UK either free or for a small fee.

response from ASDA.
Hello Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about our car parks.

After looking in to this for you, we are unable to allow motor homes to be parked on our car parks overnight. This is for safety and security purposes.

Once again thank you for getting in touch. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Kind Regards

Lauren Pell
ASDA Service Team

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A little off topic, but sort of related.

How come 'travellers' (who don't actually seem to do much travelling) seem to be able to get away with pitching up pretty much anywhere and not get clamped, whereas us rates-paying motorhomers (who actually do travel) are jumped on from a great height the moment we step an inch out of line?

Probably because public authorities are constrained by the Half-baked Rubbish Act whilst private security firms possibly feel intimidated by travellers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
On a couple of nights we stopped over at the 24 hour Walmarts. We'd been told that Walmart welcomed overnighters.

From Walmarts FAQs

Q. Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

A. While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended [HI]by individual store managers[/HI], based on availability of parking space[HI] and local laws. [/HI]Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

Which is pretty much the case at most UK supermarkets ... none will give written permission for obvious reasons.. but may let you if you ask the manager..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
As I inderstand it, the head of Walmart is an RV man himself and that is why they do it and what a great idea...my wife loves Walmart but my wallet does not....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not sure about Asda, although, one night we parked up at about 11pm, at our local 24hr Asda, to stock up before our night drive but security came over to check that we were not staying the night so does not look hopfull :Sad:

Remember that the US does not have the same problem as the UK, with travellers and gypsies and so on so this may put our supermarkets off:Sad:

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Email sent to ASDA..
Hello i belong to a large online motorhome community and was recently made aware that Walmart USA seem to allow motorhomes to stop overnight on their 24hour sites and was wondering if any such allowance was available in the UK either free or for a small fee.

response from ASDA.
Hello Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about our car parks.

After looking in to this for you, we are unable to allow motor homes to be parked on our car parks overnight. This is for safety and security purposes.

Once again thank you for getting in touch. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Kind Regards

Lauren Pell
ASDA Service Team

Well I think that pretty much says it all.

Surely anyone parking in a car park (i.e. not just motorhomers) are parking at their own risk. I've been robbed in the middle of the day in a Carrefour car park in Spain and the staff in the supermarket just said "Oh! It happens all the time".

Having a posse of upstanding motorhomers pitched up in the middle of the night would probably improve the safety and security for everyone else. We could all form a circle of our wagons like in those good old fashioned western movies ::bigsmile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Might be worth redirecting that email to Walmart USA and asking why the different attitude ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back