Walmart let you stay for free - do ASDA?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by yorkieman, Nov 24, 2011.

1. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

WQe went RVing in the USA four years ago and had an amazing time touring Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc.

On a couple of nights we stopped over at the 24 hour Walmarts. We'd been told that Walmart welcomed overnighters.

We didn't plan on using Walmart at first, but we rolled up in Laramie at 11.00 at the sites were closed so we decided to give it a try.

We parked up out the front of the Walmart and set about making a cup of tea (typically British). A few minutes later a security guard drove passed, parked up and knocked on the door. Uh-oh!

He was very welcoming and suggested that we might want to park round the back rather than at the front of the store so we drove around the back. We were amazed to discover not one or two RVs, but about 30. We felt as safe as ever and spent a very pleasant night there.

At about 1am we decided to stock up on provisions - it seemed the right thing to do as we were staying for free - and ended up spending $300 in Walmart on food, a new camera, and various gifts.

I'm sure that's exactly why Walmart encourage RVs to stop the night.

Asda is now owned by Walmart, so I'm wondering if they welcome overnighters in motorhomes at their 24 hour stores.

Does anyone know?

And if not maybe we could start a campaign to get them to do so :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  2. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I have been in more than 1 Tesco 24 hr store at night for a few hrs kip and breakfast no one bothered and I did not ask:Rofl1: but that is a van conversion not a big white motorhome

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I have stopped in loads of 24 hour supermarket carparks. I choose where to park carefully and never had a problem. But then always arrived very late and left very early.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Lots of the big supermarkets that now deliver have parking for vans with hook ups for the freezers they should rent them out overnight when they do not use them they are ready made aires:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  5. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I've done the same in Canada great idea. I thought the same as you.
    I realised this is England and the Large 'club'discourage this because they will lose out:Angry:.
    Some pubs will let you which makes sense when you've had a great night:thumb:.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Stealth camping Jim :thumb::Wink:

7. aba

aba

they only need to put in a black /grey waste dump and water point to be fully equipped.

8. 656

656 Read Only Funster

As I work part time for ASDA, I will ask and report back :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  9. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Dont even bother around here ( not that I would think anyone would want to stay in this area !)..
    Takes you all your time to get a car parking space let alone trying to park a van !!! :cry:

Except when my wife parked at Asda and stayed for nearly 4 hours while she had her nails done.. We then get the threatening letters from a parking company wanting £40...!!
    And NO I'm not paying it, I know the scam.. Not a fine just a private invoice..:Wink:

10. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Walmart want's you business in the US whereas in the UK a motor homer is seen as a pariah's.

I loved it in the USA with my RV..........:BigGrin:

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No, Asda don't ordinarily allow overnighting. I got in touch with the major supermarket chains some time ago, the results being published Here.

None of the chains actually came out and said it but I'm pretty sure that their lawyers will have picked up on the point that any official policy of allowing overnighting would fall foul of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. Under the Act, as soon as anyone brings a caravan (including a motorhome/motor caravan/camper van) onto a piece of land for the purpose of human habitation (rather than simply parking or storage) the land becomes a caravan site and is subject to the licensing requirements of the Act. See Here for further details.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I think 24 hour opening stores would be more suitable although not all locations would be ok.
    The ASDA at Cribbs Causeway Jcn 11 M5 may be suitable,but the TESCOS at Bidston Moss
    M53 Jcn 1 is too close to a notorious housing estate!

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

One factor, as tonka alluded to, is that many supermarkets now have limited time parking rules and use ANPR to identify, and invoice, keepers of vehicles which stay longer than they should.

So (as advised by Tesco noted on my web page) and leaving aside any arguments about payment/not of an invoice, if anyone does intend staying overnight a word in advance with the duty manager would be advisable.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Can understand that but if that is a blanket planning law how do motorway services get past it - could the same arguments ( what ever they are ) be used by the Supermarkets ??

15. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

as with all things if they do not know they do not object
    I have wild camped at many shopping car parks no problem
    get up when they open and buy some thing and they never say anything
    once you ask they have to say no jobs worth world of employment

always leave as you found it and do not obstruct any where and your ok :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  16. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

That would be terrific. Do let us know.

I think it would be a great idea for them :Smile:

17. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

According to that link Tesco seems to be the best possibility. Good on them if they have that policy.

This whole idea of cameras with automatic number plate recognition is terrible. I know I've been had a few times with it. One time I was buying a mobile phone and it took them over two hours to sort out all the paper work, set it up, etc. Guess who got a ticket for overstaying :Sad:

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Motorway services come under specific legislation which over-rides the provisions of the Caravan Sites Act. In effect, they are licensed sites.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It may not apply overnight but I can't agree that ANPR is a bad thing per se. Supermarkets and other businesses provide car parks for the use of their customers, in order to generate the trade which keeps them open. There are a number of car parks in this area which would be clogged, to the detriment of many, by commuters looking for all day free parking if it were not for restrictions being imposed.

If I had had that experience with the mobile phone company I should have passed the bill on to them for their inefficiency :Smile:

20. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

The large 24 hour Asda near to us has large sign's all over the car park saying no more than 3 hours unless you will get a fine.