lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Well the ole bus interior is starting to get to the stage of thinking about wallcoverings and colour schemes etc.. the OH is starting to get involved with the bus now. options wise I have are buy the proper prefinished wallboards and stick over the fresh ply lined bus, cons been the extra weight and it will be expensive (this is a budget build) would need 22 sheets of 8x4 to do walls and ceiling, carpet the walls and ceiling, or wallpaper.

The OH has seen some wallpaper she really likes has anybody wallpapered a MH if so what prep would be needed would the plywood lining need sealing first (was thinking matt varnish the lot) what sticky stuff would you use normal wallpaper paste or pva. and will there be any problems with it as there will be more temp and moisture fluctuations than a normal house.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Have you thought about hollow PVC cladding?

300mm or 400mm wide, comes in a variety of finishes and not too expensive.

We did the roof in the Mercedes with it and were well pleased:

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Peter

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I like the PVC cladding idea ,lightweight and moisture resistant also can be wiped clean .
If your going down the ply route 22 sheets of 8 by 4 will add a fair bit of weigh so go for the thinnest sheets you can .If you cover them in a pva solution you will be able to use wallpaper and then your options are endless ,whatever you do good luck and be sure to post a few pics.

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
not used in MH but @Terry put me on to the hollow PVC boarding, just done our en suite shower room at home, wall covering area 30m2 £300 done in a day (y)

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Have you thought about hollow PVC cladding?

300mm or 400mm wide, comes in a variety of finishes and not too expensive.

We did the roof in the Mercedes with it and were well pleased:

Peter
what did you use to fasten the pvc boards up with

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I like the PVC cladding idea ,lightweight and moisture resistant also can be wiped clean .
If your going down the ply route 22 sheets of 8 by 4 will add a fair bit of weigh so go for the thinnest sheets you can .If you cover them in a pva solution you will be able to use wallpaper and then your options are endless ,whatever you do good luck and be sure to post a few pics.

Vlad
the bus is already fully lined with 3.6mm external ply

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
with the area you have got to cover i wouldbe using a combination of finishes for the different areas pvc wall boards in baths and kitchen areas carpet in lounge soft areas and wallpaper on any big areas

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you thought of vinyl flooring? As you've already got boarding it would be just a matter of sticking it on ... we actually looked at buying a house once many moons ago where the owner had put it on the walls in the bathroom and it actually looked really good and was quite practical too.

With the different colours/patterns available nowadays you could make it look very good for very little.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Have you thought of vinyl flooring? As you've already got boarding it would be just a matter of sticking it on ... we actually looked at buying a house once many moons ago where the owner had put it on the walls in the bathroom and it actually looked really good and was quite practical too.

With the different colours/patterns available nowadays you could make it look very good for very little.
I was planning on using vinyl flooring for the toilet/shower room.

now thinking pvc cladding for the ceiling and wallpaper the rest

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you can get 3 mm finished ply for around £16 a sheet 8 x4 ft(y) It works out a bit cheaper than the PVC Cladding but cladding is great for wc/shower walls -Also the cladding weighs a little more than the ply =£5.50 per 250 mm x2700 per sheet-Veltrim (carpet) for walls is easy to cover big awkward areas but not to my liking -10 x 2 mtrs long/wide=105 inc 10 cans of spray glue
Wallpaper ?? but decent vynil is around £7 ish a roll and you would get 3 drops per roll around 500 mm-ish wide
terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi you can get 3 mm finished ply for around £16 a sheet 8 x4 ft(y) It works out a bit cheaper than the PVC Cladding but cladding is great for wc/shower walls -Also the cladding weighs a little more than the ply =£5.50 per 250 mm x2700 per sheet-Veltrim (carpet) for walls is easy to cover big awkward areas but not to my liking -10 x 2 mtrs long/wide=105 inc 10 cans of spray glue
Wallpaper ?? but decent vynil is around £7 ish a roll and you would get 3 drops per roll around 500 mm-ish wide
terry
As you've said wallpaper isn't cheap nowadays, not for anything worth having unless you can find some on reduced that will suit, it won't be as durable either as proper boarding, cladding or vinyl.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
what did you use to fasten the pvc boards up with

We fitted hardwood stringers down the length of the van and with a starter strip/channel for the first one, we screwed each open flange to the strips, then pushed the next one into the opening. We did a trial fit first with some offcuts.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

We used pozi button flange stainless steel self tappers.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back