Walking into a showroom with no intention to buy (1 Viewer)

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
After looking at many pictures of motorhome online via ebay, gumtree, autotrader and dealerships its tome to see the real things

I want to go into a few local dealers next week but as I don't plan to buy until next late autumn, what is the best way to go abut asking question and looking inside motorhomes without p%*sing of the salesman when I have no intention on buying just yet.

I really need to get inside as I am tall plus I want to ask about all the work involved in maintain a home.

Obviously I would have to avoid falling in love with a motorhome until I have my pennies saved up.

Thanks,
Chris

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
You do definitely need to see them in the flesh so to speak as you may think you know what you want layout wise but don't be surprised if you end up with something completely different once you've spent time in a few.

When we started to look last year we were just honest & said we were researching.

It's a big purchase - it shouldn't be rushed.

Good luck, have fun, try everything, especially sitting on the loo with the door shut if you're tall (sorry TMI I know:tmi:)

As for not falling in love with any yet......well.....that's not always so easy:giggler:

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Just be honest with the sales guys. A good dealer will be patient, but don't be surprised by your own emotions and feelings, particularly if buying a pre owned van. Then the one you are looking at has a unique combination of age miles layout etc and you can be sorely tempted to capture the opportunity rather than wait and hope one as good or better appears.. Best of luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I see your from Greenock so I assume you'll be looking in Scotland first, Perthshire caravans leave theirs open so no need to talk to salesman and the dealership near Livingston is the same.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just be open with them, tell them exactly what you've told us in your post, if they're busy they'll leave you to it and if not they'll help you. You need to spend time in a lot of different vans, try the seats, try the beds (within reason ;)). Sit at the table & chat about what you're experiencing. Take a notebook and write down make & model, & what you like or dislike. After you've seen a few, start to make few lists: Must have, Would like to have, Must not have (eg for us, a Must have was an automatic gearbox).
You've made a great start by joining FUN, there are lots of threads in the archives about what people like/ don't like and why.
Check what length, weight etc you need or are happy with.
Layout is key, and that depends so much on how you want to use the MH - single overnights & weekends, 2-4 week holidays, 3 or more month tours... How many people, how much cooking, how much TV... What leisure activity/ hobby equipment do you need to take with you... Will you use campsites and if so, will you use their facilities or your own...
You've given yourself a year to research, if you can afford it then hire one or two different models for a weekend or week away & see what suits you.
You may find that there's somebody on here that can view a van with you if you're unsure. Meanwhile keep asking questions, FUN has so many experts it's scary.

In the end, you just have to get out there & get your first van: YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Why would you feel worried about upsetting the salesman? His job is to sell you something, 100's of people come into his showroom and ultimately buy somewhere else. You aren't going to hurt his feelings, it's his job!
We looked at hundreds of motorhomes before we bought ours, just because we were intending to buy and didn't, and you are "dipping a toe" so to speak, I don't see the distinction.
Have a look at loads, it's the only way you are going to get the right home for you! :D
Happy hunting :D

Upvote 0

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
And you need to look for yourself. Don't expect the salesman to know anything about the motorhomes he's selling or anything to do with how they work, how to operate them, or what is involved in the ownership of a MH, that's my experience anyway.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks folks, their feelings didn't even cross my mind, it was more the how helpful they would be knowing it was time wasting exercise for them :)

Yes ive see lots of toilets online in pictures and they look tight, luckily I will be living full time on my own so no need to close the door.

Yes I plan to start from Ayr and work my way up to Perth and having a week off work next week will give me something to do. I was initially going to go to the motor home exhibition in February in the Glasgow at the SECC but I can wait to start looking now.

Luckily as it just me who will be living in it I don't need to talk or compromise with anything except my wallet. I will have my kid on a Saturday night but I think any new will be exciting for him.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Pee em off in my mind. It's tradition!!!!
They make enough thru a sale ( even though they tell you otherwise).
And when you come to part exchange, you might as well open your legs wide, cos your going get a right kicking :)

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Also, have to admit that in my youth I was in the sales game. A good salesman should quickly identify that you are not ready to buy YET! Therefore what he should do is identify you precise needs, and make a note of these.
Later on, the time is going to come when you are ready to buy, and based upon his knowledge of your requirements, he can phone you up at some point in the future and say "I think I've got exactly what you're looking for!"
Salesmen need to maintain a pipeline as well as current sales :D

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
A good salesman should be happy to answer all your questions and not be pushy. Your initial impression of the dealership and salesman will pay dividends for them in the long run as you may well return when the time is right to buy. Word of mouth about specific dealerships, especially on forums such as this, can have a big influence.
Enjoy the experience.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would be open and say that you're not going to be buying but want to look and see what is available for when the money is ready.

I would also go to a motorhome show to see a wide range of options.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
dealership near Livingston is the same.

Just ask to look round - if you get any pressure walk away as you need both time and space when considering such a big purchase. I also took a notebook and camera when we were looking as you see so much and so many it soon all starts to blur. On-line research had given a list of models we wanted to see in the flesh and only when we looked up close did the choice crystallise.

We did paper research for six months and then viewed for another four months, eventually buying a van we had seen very early on - at that point the van we bought wasn't for sale (it had been traded-in and had some minor work to be done and it needed cleaning and pre-sale prep- work) but the salesman at Knowepark (Livingston) said it might be the type of van that would tick most boxes and gave us a tour. He let us know when it did come up for sale, but no pressure..... we actually went and looked at it three times before we committed.

We bought our van from Knowepark in Livingston and have had a very good experience. We were there last weekend but they didn't appear have as much stock as usual.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
we started looking a couple of years before we retired, we were honest with the salesmen. the majority were very helpful, we went when the showrooms were quiet too, easy for a shift worker, not so good if you have to view at weekends. Enjoy the hunt, it is part of the fun, just dont compromise on the bed size. You will spend a lot more time there than in the toilet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Ill go looking next week with a pen, pad and camera, maybe upset a salesman or 3.

Its a big investment and as I plan to give up my house and live full time I want to make sure I get the right home that suits me.

Are there any tips on the right time to buy? I would think early in the year coming into camping season would be the wrong time for a buyer.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Ill go looking next week with a pen, pad and camera, maybe upset a salesman or 3.

Its a big investment and as I plan to give up my house and live full time I want to make sure I get the right home that suits me.

Are there any tips on the right time to buy? I would think early in the year coming into camping season would be the wrong time for a buyer.

I'm not sure that there is a right time to buy...... If going to a dealer then at the start of the season you might find there are a lot of trade-ins and a lot of choice but the prices will be high. At the end of the season not so much choice and it tends to be what others have left...... Buying privately you will find people may wish to sell at the end of the season but who knows.

Don't forget there is always the option of buying in Europe and importing, especially if you are okay with LHD.

If you see the van that is "yours" and the price is right walk away, have a cuppa and / or a meal, think long and hard, go back, negotiate for extras / discounts whatever...... We nearly made a massive mistake with eyes over-ruling brains but the walk away and long consideration brought us to our senses - plus the dealer wouldn't budge on price.

Full time requirements and shorter trip requirements are very different. I love our van and it is ideal for us now but no way would I consider living in it full time :)

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I wouldnt worry about the sales people.
At many dealerships the lazy buggers probably won't be bothered to get off their arses to ask you what you're looking for.
Ive been to many a dealer, looked at all their vans and left without anybody bothering me or getting my name or phone number or email address.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Also being tall the first requirement was front seats that swivel, not all do. decide where you could sit comfortably for an evening/afternoon. Even more important if you are full timing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I am not ever sure I could do left drive and learn to drive something bigger than my Zafira all at the same time with out sending my insurance thought the roof :)

As I will be spending a lot of time in the unit I will say a lot of sitting testing will be required to ensure I can spend many hours relaxing.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I am not ever sure I could do left drive and learn to drive something bigger than my Zafira all at the same time with out sending my insurance thought the roof :)

If I can drive a 7.5 tonne LHD MH then you can as well ....... Why not book a half day course with one of the HGV driving schools to build your confidence?

Oh I drove our 7.5t vintage Hymer through London and Paris, remember that "right of size" applies!!

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I see your from Greenock so I assume you'll be looking in Scotland first, Perthshire caravans leave theirs open so no need to talk to salesman and the dealership near Livingston is the same.
Actually the dealer near Livingston (Knowepark) doesn't leave the doors open. They used to but had too much damage done. The ones inside are open but the main stock is outside and you have to ask for a van to be opened. They'll do that for you without a problem though.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Mr Laing in sales is your man at Knowepark........ I think his first name is Robert. He has endless patience and will open up any vans you want to look inside and leave you to browse unless you ask him to stay and answer questions.

Upvote 0

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I wouldnt worry about the sales people.
At many dealerships the lazy buggers probably won't be bothered to get off their arses to ask you what you're looking for.
Ive been to many a dealer, looked at all their vans and left without anybody bothering me or getting my name or phone number or email address.

That is precisely how I want a salesperson to be. Unless I want / need to ask a question I would like the salesperson to stay firmly in their office and leave me alone. As long as they are available / willing to answer my questions when I have them I am perfectly happy.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think it's nice to be acknowledged... I used to tell my staff to always greet customers but always say, 'I'm at my desk over there and if you have any questions or need any help please do not hesitate to ask.' Smile and then walk away but watch in case needed. If you want to know what the adjective IGNORED customer means, try being a woman in a car show room ... until such time as a man joins you the times I have been ignored.. .. .. or when gone to purchase been suggested that maybe I should have a word with my husband first? If they know where he is good luck to them .. cos I don't.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back