Walkie talkies

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by whereru, Nov 10, 2014.

1. whereru

whereru Funster

I quite often tour together with my parents in out vans and we have discussed if Walkie Talkies would be useful for communication, I think they would work while parked but I am not sure if they would work while we were following each other, would the engine interfere with the signal. Has anybody tried.

2. barsteward

barsteward Funster

Use them bike to bike and for the most part they work fine, see no reason why they shouldn't be ok in mh.

3. Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve Funster

I used walkie talkies with another couple in a car in Florida about 10 years ago, the only issue we had was when the distance between cars got too far. The W-Ts nowadays have 5 mile distance, digital channels etc so probably a lot better. On another thread somebody said they use theirs between husband and wife when reversing the MH, which I thought was a good idea and what I will do when I buy a MH

4. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Have used them to keep tabs on grandchildren when out playing on caravan park and used them when following friends in motorhome, no problem if the distance isn't to great.

5. Movinon

Movinon Funster

They're OK for a couple of kilometres providing there are no mountains in between. Handheld communicators have rather weak output. The engine should be OK but the bodywork could reduce the range.

6. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Yes used them this year when daughter and son-in-law +granddaughters were over from Australia and hired a m-home were really usefull when we all did a trip to Wales made conyoy driving much easier. Martin

7. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

We used them a lot in Morocco , got them from Lidl,s £25 ,worked ok for us in convoy and when in the soukes to find each other ,
    Chanell number 5 is what the 2013 /2014 Funster trip used then we could call any time to each other also to ask if anyone was in the area or on a campsite when we arrived ,
    just dont use them in front of the Police ..

8. Baycott

Baycott Funster

We use them with great success with a couple we travel with. The only problem we encounter is in the larger towns you get a bit of interference from other people using them on building sites and the like. Over all we found them very useful.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Yes they are very handy. We use them all the time when 3 of us are in convoy. However as mentioned previously the range they cover when being used inside a MH is significantly less than the stated distance.
    I have been assured that 2 way radios can be used whilst driving and are not subject to the same regulations as mobile phones.

10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We use them all the time and I think they are great.

The best bit is when you are tuned into the same channel as other (unconnected) people so they can hear your conversations and vice versa.
    I was in a grumpy mood stuck in traffic on the Pont De Normandie in the Summer and said something derogatory about the French drivers to my brother who was travelling separately

Next thing a very posh sounding English lady came on air and said " Oh Dear Darling, I think its time we switched to Channel 2".

:)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Same as suggy
    But if before you buy Google PMR 446 tweaks you can find certain models you can easily
    Tweak to get more power for extra range and extra channels

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We use them for lots of activities, including our mh trips. Cobra models seem reliable and pretty well designed. Go for ones with the longest range but do not expect to get anywhere near the published range - ours are supposed to have a range of 8km but even on a flat beach, we haven't managed 1km.

13. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

you need the intek 5050, great bits of kit, I bought 6 the year befor last for a long road trip with my daughters and sons in law, we had three units on the road, good contact on motorways probibly up to 5 miles in open county less were hilly or in town. But well recomended if a tad expensive. I might consider selling a couple if the price was right

14. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

The Intec 5050 is an excellent unit and very easy to tweek. The extra channels are great, but the extra power is not worth a jot. Remember, it's logarithmic, so 40w is twice 4w, and tweeking usually will only get you up to 10w at best. Also watch your batteries drain away with extra power.

15. reader

reader Funster

We use them "in convey" for the lead van to spot laybyes for brew stops. The licence free pmr sets are not intended for long distance. If you mess with power or deviation the only thing you will gain is less battery life as SuperMike says(apart from breaking the law that is)

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Unsure where you got the idea wt of today have such a range.. but sorry to say unless you are using equipment you need licences for ( or either have a commercial use licence or pass exams ) the most you can reasonably expect to get from a pair of 446PMR radios would be maybe a kilometre in perfect conditions, but more likely about 500 metres

They have a maximum output ( ERP ) or 500mW..
    To put that in to context for those who have used a CB radio.. A CB puts out 4 watts.. Yes, there are loads of stories of amazingly long distance contacts but take away all the odd things and the average for a decent CB set up is 4 or 5 miles and THAT is on a decent external antenna.
    446PMR hand helds are more usually used with their own antenna built on to the side of the radio and is far from efficient !

If you wish taking a fairly big chance and use something illegal then look at what Kenwood, Icom and a couple of other mainstream manufacturers offer .. They do 5w output devices designed for commercial or amateur radio use ( licenses required ) but can be programmed with the 446PMR channels etc

OK, all that said, we used a pair of cheapy ( they were just old tat, one off of fleabay was £4 and the other from a local boot sale for £2.00 but as all units have to conform to the same minimum spec it makes no odds really ) hand helds during the summer while touring with Nemo and Zoe around Europe
    In general they did a spiffing job and kept us in contact with each other 80% of the time

17. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We could get a general frequency license registered to funsters
    If I remember correctly
    16 channels VHF or UHF for about £30 and 3 years
    Could be handy now considering size of rally's for Marsheling
    I think I have some UHF motorola and icons knocking round I would give to Jim for events

• Like Like x 1
  18. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

I use ours when I go fishing. A quick call to Sue back at the van and she brings me a cup of coffee and sandwiches to the lake..........

• Like Like x 3
  19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Seriously good idea that !!

20. golly

golly Funster