Wales this year - looking for site recommendations (1 Viewer)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
we just love Pembrkeshire; Freshwater East; Solva; St Davids, Stack pole Quay, Barafundle bay, Broad Haven, Marloes. Bosherton lilly ponds. as you go up the coast to Cardigan there is Mwnt, Porth Gain. Aberiedy ( blue lagoon );
there are loads of stunning coastal path walks. pubs and nice restaurants;
View attachment 57480 View attachment 57481 View attachment 57482 View attachment 57483 View attachment 57484 View attachment 57485 View attachment 57486

If I've told you once Phill I've told you a thousand times. Posting pics of EIRE is not going to fool the punters for Long.:sneaky:
THIS is NOT Wales folks.....................or not the bit we want to share anyway:D

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Excellent CL near South Stack Janine (if not CC members they have one slot outside the CC bit for all comers)
Water, black and grey water dump that's it but quiet and right up Mrs BB and my street!!!! http://anglesey-escapes.co.uk/
Food at the RSPB visitor centre a mile and a half away. We can recommend the Breakfasts there and the Bird, Dolphin and Porpoise Watching is second to none! (y)(y)(y)
Come to Wales and Spend Your English Pounds.......................Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!:D

Thanks for that, BB

I was just looking at this one which must be close by.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4799

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks for that, BB

I was just looking at this one which must be close by.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4799

Yes We had a look at that once J...OK but can get noisy from Friday to Sunday night in high summer. Nice beach but the bonus to Gorsgoch where we stay is that you have the coves to yourself(y)(y) mostly as only a minority of visitors actually :eek:walk:eek: more than 300 meters from the their wheels.............(y)
Had a seal come within 5 metres of us on last visit....

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Must put the RSPB centre on a wish list as well then!

Busy on weekends but the food is worth waiting for. Bags of good information on all the local wildlife at the centre and at Elins Tower which has good live TV of all the nesting seabirds. Sadly the Puffin colony is down to about 40 pairs now but still excellent to watch. When the weather is good you can't beat this particular bit of Wales (especially as you should ignore the wonderful Pembrokeshire coast................it's just too beautiful.):D:D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
For all you bird watchers there is the wetland centre in Llanelli. Similar to Slimbridge.

This site is within walking distance and right on the beautiful cycle path along the coast to Pembrey

http://www.caravanparkgower.co.uk

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We are also off to Wales in late May for 4-6 weeks,we have not been there for yonks, Her indoors wants to visit Chester Zoo and Chester first,then on toAnglesey for the Classic motorcycle festival at Pembrey for 2days,then the rest of Wales from north to south, or as much as we can see,then home via the Cotswolds, that's the (semi) plan anyway. Caution, this plan is subject to change!

And that's what plans should be 99! (y)At least for us motorhomers!!!:)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Pembrey country park is a great place , horse riding, cycle tracks, beach, Ski Dry slope, toboggan run, Forrest walks and more. pitches in the park itself or at th CC site just outside the park gates.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello I know I've come late on the thread, but as you can see lots to see and do in Wales North and South, don't worry about the natives we are mostly friendly, like all places you get the odd one or two but a lot of helpful folk. Snowdonia and Anglesey well worth a visit. If your only stopping over for one night at Chester you could stay overnight at the Roudee Car Park £1.50p a night and normal day time charges then you can have a look around Chester then go on to Upton to the Zoo.

Enjoy your trip and a Warm Welcome to Wales.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Pembrey country park is a great place , horse riding, cycle tracks, beach, Ski Dry slope, toboggan run, Forrest walks and more. pitches in the park itself or at th CC site just outside the park gates.
Pembrey gives me the willies when I think about it I'm afraid......we went once, many, many years ago and it was a holiday from hell.
We had the caravan and broke down on the way....the weather was, well, awful.
We never got to the beach as the wind was whipping the sand up so much the kids were crying their eyes out at being sandblasted......and this was in the days when we didn't take a tv...(always have since lol):rolleyes:. We came back early, the only time we've ever done that in 20 odd years:Eeek:
Perhaps it deserves a 2nd chance......:eek:

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
The Elan Valley, Rhayader is another beautiful and interesting area ... the dams and reservoirs are stunning. There is a campsite called http://www.elanoaks.co.uk/ which is right next to the Elan Valley Trail plus there is a hotel within walking distance with restaurant and bar, everyone is made very welcome.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The Elan Valley, Rhayader is another beautiful and interesting area ... the dams and reservoirs are stunning. There is a campsite called http://www.elanoaks.co.uk/ which is right next to the Elan Valley Trail plus there is a hotel within walking distance with restaurant and bar, everyone is made very welcome.

Lots of cracking free over-nighting spots too all along the valley (some with toilets and access to water) with disturbance limited to noisy owls!(y)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Pembrey gives me the willies when I think about it I'm afraid......we went once, many, many years ago and it was a holiday from hell.
We never got to the beach as the wind was whipping the sand up so much the kids were crying their eyes out at being sandblasted......and this was in the days when we didn't take a tv...(always have since lol):rolleyes:. We came back early, the only time we've ever done that in 20 odd years:Eeek:

There is a Motorhomefun rally at Pembrey scheduled for September (25th if I remember correctly). Last year it was fantastic. Model engineer's show including classic cars, bikes, buses, trucks & stationary engines. Excellent coastal cycle path. Toboggan ride/ski slope. Pembrey race circuit next door. And if I'm there the weather will be superb. That's based on 'the sun shining on the righteous':LOL:;)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
There is a Motorhomefun rally at Pembrey scheduled for September (25th if I remember correctly). Last year it was fantastic. Model engineer's show including classic cars, bikes, buses, trucks & stationary engines. Excellent coastal cycle path. Toboggan ride/ski slope. Pembrey race circuit next door. And if I'm there the weather will be superb. That's based on 'the sun shining on the righteous':LOL:;)
:D....thanks for the heads up.......really fancy the 'rally not a rally' at Shell Island.....being ex-caravanners we'd never heard of it till seeing Joys pics, and it looked beautiful.
Saying that, so many of the pics of Wales that have been posted make it look great......it's largely passed us by so far:rolleyes: We will make amends, I'm sure:)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

only dont go during school holidays its mental there

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
only dont go during school holidays its mental there
Luckily we can now avoid school hols (mainly)
Apart from when the daughter wants to go to Cardiff - she works at the local college :doh:

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
For our annual extended holiday this year we're planning on Wales, an area of the UK neither of us has had any occasion to visit previously, so very much unknown territory. We're assuming that the tales we've heard of "unfriendy natives" are indeed just tales, but would welcome any advice on areas we should maybe avoid if the stories of anti-English sentiment are indeed true. Also any recommendations for sites to visit - must be dog friendly and preferably with a pub/eating house within walking distance.

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
The Llyn Peninsular is beautiful, lovely coastal walks and glorious sandy beaches, Abersoch is very popular and worth a visit, Aberdaron is also lovely and we are quite lucky here with the weather.

Another beautiful area is Tenby in Pembrokeshire.

Have fun wherevere ou decide

Lynne x

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
http://www.islawrffordd.co.uk/

Click on the link above. It's expensive but it's in a league of its own compared to many we've visited. Indoor heated pool where you can sit and have a coffee (they heat the air and not the pool so it's really comfy in there, jacuzzi, sauna, restaurant / bar, well stocked on site shop, the site is right next to a HUGE empty beach, on site fast food outlet which is really pretty good, you can even have your newspapers delivered in the morning to your MH, it's only 200 metres from a train station that takes you along the coast to Barmouth for a couple of quid, which is a great place to shop and mooch. The site has security barriers and they give you a fob to waive at the posts to make them lift to let you in and out. The showers and toilets are incredible. They had underfloor heating with piped music when we last visited.

It's a real up market affair.
Bet you go back. We have and so did our friends..... twice.
Hope this helps

Paul

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Sorry I find it quite hilarious the people who are saying they've never been to Wales - it was always the nearest seaside of course, living in West Bromwich and always going on holidays by train (I used to get dreadful travel sickness, even Brum by bus was a nightmare for mom) (Wolverhampton was okay though as that was a trolley bus!) My birthday is in April and mom and dad went on holiday as usual in July the previous year to their friend's family's chalet at Kinmel Bay. My sister was 3 that May, and they'd been trying for another since she was about 2. It was a well known fact in our family that the local cider was excellent ......

I've been all over Wales in all sorts of places since then - a friend had a boat at Abersoch for years - 6am start, nip up the A5, brekkie at a café at Bala somewhere, get to Abersoch, mackerel fishing in the morning, barbecue them on the beach as the main course at lunch, sunbathing to digest, water ski in the afternoon, pack up and come home - and someone with a cottage on a farm near Roman Bridge railway station - at the back of Betwsy Coed - friends in Tonyrefail we met tent camping in Spain ! - and many many more - but there are still stacks of places I haven't been and would quite like to see.

Mountains, valleys, fantastic beaches everywhere (Aberystwyth is pebbles - but Borth is golden sand - as much of the coastline is) castles,

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
Just looked for the Caravan Club site at Caernarfon which used to be a favourite place to stay but it appears to have gone :(

Yes it is closed, but you could try Is Helen farm just round the corner mainly seasonal tourers but they may have a space for a few nights, walk into town, opposite the castle, lovely location.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Sorry I find it quite hilarious the people who are saying they've never been to Wales - it was always the nearest seaside of course, living in West Bromwich..

My pet name for Barmouth is Brum-sur-Mer, based on the most prevalent local dialect you hear in summer. :)

Skeggie was the nearest salt water location for us Leicester folk, but I forsook the Lincolnshire mud flats for a camping trip to Shell Island when I was 16 and never looked back.

The Lleyn Peninsula was my nearest surf spot when I was a more committed surfer than I am now. Plenty of variety for the aspiring wave rider up there, all year round.

Broken Link Removed

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
Just looked for the Caravan Club site at Caernarfon which used to be a favourite place to stay but it appears to have gone :(

Hi Janine, I have just checked on Coed Helen Website and you can book camping, so maybe they have re-opened, so you may be able to go to your favourite site.

Lynne

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back