wales holiday touring recommendations (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi all I want sume info on Wales before we go or is it. Sumwhar to avoid
I have only ever worked thare on very few occasions
So don't rely know what it will be like as a tourist in a MH Not a member of any of the clubs and no intenchion of joining any of them.
Looking at wild camping and smaller sites farms
Bill

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Lots
Hi all I want sume info on Wales before we go or is it. Sumwhar to avoid
I have only ever worked thare on very few occasions
So don't rely know what it will be like as a tourist in a MH Not a member of any of the clubs and no intenchion of joining any of them.
Looking at wild camping and smaller sites farms
Bill
Lots of sheep if that's what you mean by wilding. Lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Pembrey Country Park is great - great bike rides through forest and along coast. Fantastic beaches

There is a site in the park and also a CC site adjacent

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Pembrey Country Park is great - great bike rides through forest and along coast. Fantastic beaches

There is a site in the park and also a CC site adjacent
Don't use CC long story is the other site privetty owned
Bill

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Hi Bill, Wales can be a terrific choice. Try the Gower peninsula, there are quite a few decent spots to wild camp at. The "King Arthur" pub in Reynoldston does wonderful freshly cooked food & Kim doesn't take liberties with prices, in other words its very reasonable. Pembrokeshire is more of the same, well worth exploring. Only thing as you head along the M4 is that when you get to Port Talbot you'll think you've arrived at the end of the world but for someone like yourself, you might well enjoy seeing the biting edge of heavy industry. After that the scenery just gets prettier & prettier. My wife recommends Margam park, she used to drive heavy horses around there. The World Rally Championship uses the park to great effect, so despite its proximity to Port Talbot the park is beautiful. No offence to any of our Welsh members, I really believe that heavy industry has a rugged beauty, but not everyone views the world in the way I do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi Bill, Wales can be a terrific choice. Try the Gower peninsula, there are quite a few decent spots to wild camp at. The "King Arthur" pub in Reynoldston does wonderful freshly cooked food & Kim doesn't take liberties with prices, in other words its very reasonable. Pembrokeshire is more of the same, well worth exploring. Only thing as you head along the M4 is that when you get to Port Talbot you'll think you've arrived at the end of the world but for someone like yourself, you might well enjoy seeing the biting edge of heavy industry. After that the scenery just gets prettier & prettier. My wife recommends Margam park, she used to drive heavy horses around there. The World Rally Championship uses the park to great effect, so despite its proximity to Port Talbot the park is beautiful. No offence to any of our Welsh members, I really believe that heavy industry has a rugged beauty, but not everyone views the world in the way I do.
I worked on a ground decontamination project when I had my drilling company thare
Didn't explore much but wales it is this year
Looks Fantasticks
Bill

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We liked this one, it's just across the road from a disused gold mine and they run tours down the mines. Also some good walks in the area. Sorry, can't remember the price of the campsite or the mine tours, but it might be worth it for something a bit different, although I know you prefer to do DIY activities! (You don't have to be a member of the national trust.)
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dolaucothi-gold-mines/features/dolaucothi-estate-caravan-site

upload_2016-7-23_14-53-22.png

There are some very beautiful areas in Wales, it's most certainly NOT a place to avoid! - Anglesey, south-west peninsula, Snowdonia, Black Mountains .....

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
A lot of funsters like shell island, we intend to go there sometime, we have been to North Wales a lot camping (tents) when the boys were young stayed on some lovely farm sites but that was over 30 years ago and my memory doesn't stretch that far back:doh:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am convinced that wales is the place to go we will be spoilt for choices of palaces to visit.
We will have a stedy drive down and work our way arund the country must go to Gower panintuler and explore around we only have two weeks but I think we won't she everything
Bill

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Just remember to bring your brolly Bill . . :)

Although whilst we were away in Dawlish last week the temperature reached 45c in our Conservatory . . :eek:

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Abersoch is a lovely place. Great beach and village centre. Mix of sites price wise from the absolutely ridiculous to the OK. It often gets great weather in the summer too. We go a few times a year in the RV as my sister has a chalet there so we meet up with her and the family.

I can also vouch for shell island. A lovely place, really relaxed, about 6 miles from Harlech I think. No EHU but fantastic coastline for walks, fishing, etc and good facilities on the site.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Abersoch is a lovely place. Great beach and village centre. Mix of sites price wise from the absolutely ridiculous to the OK. It often gets great weather in the summer too. We go a few times a year in the RV as my sister has a chalet there so we meet up with her and the family.

I can also vouch for shell island. A lovely place, really relaxed, about 6 miles from Harlech I think. No EHU but fantastic coastline for walks, fishing, etc and good facilities on the site.
We have soler so no problems thare we only really Ned dump and water
I did visit Brecon once just whish I could say I enjoyed my visit
This time I intend to
Bill

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We have soler so no problems thare we only really Ned dump and water
I did visit Brecon once just whish I could say I enjoyed my visit
This time I intend to
Bill
Water readily available all round the site at shell island. The dump is near the shop and the entrance but easy to get to. Look on the website it's definitely worth a visit www.shellisland.co.uk. Cim farm is a nice site in abersoch perched on the top of the hill with great views. Also castellmarche is good on the way in but it only has 6 pitches and they do have a few caravans stored there that take priority in the summer hols. It's opposite The Warren where my sister is and you can walk through it to the beach.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Pembrokeshire is highly recommended. We use the Newgale campsite as it's next to the beach and fairly central for getting around, but no EHU. Bus services along the coast are good.

We also spend a lot of time in N Wales. We particularly like Barmouth and the cycle track down the estuary towards Dolgellau. We were down there earlier this week. Further up we usually base ourselves on one of the sites at the back of Black Rock Sands (near Porthmadog) and travel outwards from there. Porthmeirion, Harlech Castle, Snowdonia, the Ffestiniog Steam Railway all within reach.

The Lleyn Peninsula up towards Abersoch is interesting, scenery a bit like like Pembrokeshire. I used to surf up there quite a lot so I know most of the beaches. The biggie is Hell's Mouth, but the little ones like Whistling Sands are also worth a look.

Further north you've got Caernarvon, Conwy, the whole of Angelsey, and Llandudno, which is traditional seaside but with a bit of landscape and style to it.

Plenty to keep you out of mischief.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back