Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Traveled down from Scotland and stopped at kew gardens on route to crystal palace CC site NO problems
Left Kew gardens and put on google maps (big mistake) takes me off the south circular and then I have to turn right somewhere !! And that's when the fun !!! begins. 200 yards or so down said road we encounter 2 steel posts with sign " max width 7 feet " that's me well screwed then behind me blond in X5 who does not understand I can't get through and blares the horn
I sit for 5 mins or so counting to 10 several times while other half moans at me for taking this road
Arrive traffic warden ( guy with blue band round his cap )
I get backed up so far then decide to go round centre bollard wrong way
You can't do that sir he says !! I have no where else to go says me
If you do I will have to report you feel free says me and duly mount central island go round said posts and continue on my merry way with earache from passengers seat
Will I take MH back to London NO Bl**DY chance
Now have to wait and see what drops on the mat !!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thought traffic wardens only had jurisdiction over parking offences and some times directing traffic...

I`m probably wrong... :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I only live 20 miles from London

I used to have a rather large client in London, I don't live far away and used to drive in when necessary.

But after numerous fines visiting their various London locations - they were told I visit their HO only - If they want me anywhere else they have to provide a driver.

He was born and bred in London and still picked up periodic fines for minor offences :Doh:::bigsmile:

The place is a nightmare for drivers :Eeek:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
London

HI, the very same thing happened to me I had a rapido and if I had gone through the posts I would have ripped off my rear wheel arches so I took a detour around these flipping things the result was a large fine from the London borough of Islington who after contacting by letter and phone explaning the situation :Doh:refused to resind the fine and sent me a picture of my van:Eeek: and if I wanted to contest the fine I would have to return to London and go court obviously this was going to cost more so I had to pay up but I was most unhappy especially with the attitude of the chap on the phone who was most unhelpful and downright rude he was of foreign extraction I think . That was My last trip to London by motorhome and I will not be going again ,:shout:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
last time i was down there sat nav said turn left i did so and there was a big sign saying congestion zone .i stopped and turned round in road ..got a ticket in post for entering the zone ..i appealed saying i never past the sign .turns out the zone was at start of street :cry: flipping heck ...big fine :Angry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I used to drive from Hookwood (near Gatwick) to central London, Brentford and Greenford for about 6 years:cry: It used to do my head in, but got to know just about every conceivable road to get me to work by the easiest/quickest route. The secret being to get up and out of the house as early as possible, 6am would be fine. But leave it much later and it was a nightmare.........:cry:this was in a car back then, but I wouldn't attempt it now in a mh:Eeek:

Sadly being involved in a road traffic accident on the M25 on my way into London between Leatherhead and Guildford put paid to all the travelling to work:Sad:

Bill

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
200 yards or so down said road we encounter 2 steel posts with sign " max width 7 feet " I get backed up so far then decide to go round centre bollard wrong way
If you do I will have to report you feel free says me and duly mount central island go round said posts and continue on my merry way with earache from passengers seat
!!

HI, the very same thing happened to me I had a rapido and if I had gone through the posts I would have ripped off my rear wheel arches so I took a detour around these flipping things the result was a large fine from the London borough of Islington

Now, let me think. Why were those posts there.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe to stop wide vehicles from going down that particular road.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thought traffic wardens only had jurisdiction over parking offences and some times directing traffic...

agreed Mo.

if it was a parking enforcement officer, to give the proper name, then they have no other rights but to issue parking tickets.

they have no more rights than Joe Public when it comes to directing traffic and cannot detain you, even mid ticket.

the original, old style traffic wardens had a few more rights....directing traffic under a PC's instruction etc. but parking enforcement is now a council's obligation...not the police's

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

agreed Mo.

if it was a parking enforcement officer, to give the proper name, then they have no other rights but to issue parking tickets.

they have no more rights than Joe Public when it comes to directing traffic and cannot detain you, even mid ticket.

the original, old style traffic wardens had a few more rights....directing traffic under a PC's instruction etc. but parking enforcement is now a council's obligation...not the police's

I think the point is that the parking officer would not issue the ticket but would report the offence (just as any member of the public could) and TfL would issue the ticket. TfL probably have it all on CCTV anyway (just like they did when they said my Berlingo had driven in a bus lane - except their photo showed a Renault ::bigsmile:)

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Do not doubt the posts were there for a reason BUT NO warning signs till I got to the posts and with the backed up traffic I could NOT turn round BUT what I did not mention was that there was a 7.5 tonne lory down the road so how did it get there
Not saying I am in the right

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My local council

I live about twenty miles from London. Our local council decided to turn a two way street into a single way. They put up cameras and signage.

The signage was small and not easily seen and they were told the signage was inadequate and almost certainly illegal

It did not stop them issuing millions of pounds of fines to all and sundry

When it was proved in court the signage was illegal they had to refund the full fine monies. ( but they had only received a portion as the parking enforcement company kept a part of every fine)

The tax payer had to pay the rest

The moral of the story is the basxxrds were happy to take money anyway they could and honesty and morality did not feature in their plans.

London boroughs will be no different :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back