Waiting for the fine

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camocam1, Sep 18, 2013.

1. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Traveled down from Scotland and stopped at kew gardens on route to crystal palace CC site NO problems
    Left Kew gardens and put on google maps (big mistake) takes me off the south circular and then I have to turn right somewhere !! And that's when the fun !!! begins. 200 yards or so down said road we encounter 2 steel posts with sign " max width 7 feet " that's me well screwed then behind me blond in X5 who does not understand I can't get through and blares the horn
    I sit for 5 mins or so counting to 10 several times while other half moans at me for taking this road
    Arrive traffic warden ( guy with blue band round his cap )
    I get backed up so far then decide to go round centre bollard wrong way
    You can't do that sir he says !! I have no where else to go says me
    If you do I will have to report you feel free says me and duly mount central island go round said posts and continue on my merry way with earache from passengers seat
    Will I take MH back to London NO Bl**DY chance
    Now have to wait and see what drops on the mat !!

• Like Like x 3
  2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Thought traffic wardens only had jurisdiction over parking offences and some times directing traffic...

I`m probably wrong... :RollEyes::BigGrin:

3. camocam1

Hope you are right Mo

4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I only live 20 miles from London

I used to have a rather large client in London, I don't live far away and used to drive in when necessary.

But after numerous fines visiting their various London locations - they were told I visit their HO only - If they want me anywhere else they have to provide a driver.

He was born and bred in London and still picked up periodic fines for minor offences :Doh::BigGrin:

The place is a nightmare for drivers :Eeek:

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Why the "for drivers" qualification? Pretending London matters so much is the cause of many of this country's problems :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  6. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

London

HI, the very same thing happened to me I had a rapido and if I had gone through the posts I would have ripped off my rear wheel arches so I took a detour around these flipping things the result was a large fine from the London borough of Islington who after contacting by letter and phone explaning the situation :Doh:refused to resind the fine and sent me a picture of my van:Eeek: and if I wanted to contest the fine I would have to return to London and go court obviously this was going to cost more so I had to pay up but I was most unhappy especially with the attitude of the chap on the phone who was most unhelpful and downright rude he was of foreign extraction I think . That was My last trip to London by motorhome and I will not be going again ,:shout:

7. dshague

dshague Funster

last time i was down there sat nav said turn left i did so and there was a big sign saying congestion zone .i stopped and turned round in road ..got a ticket in post for entering the zone ..i appealed saying i never past the sign .turns out the zone was at start of street :cry: flipping heck ...big fine :Angry:

8. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

I used to drive from Hookwood (near Gatwick) to central London, Brentford and Greenford for about 6 years:cry: It used to do my head in, but got to know just about every conceivable road to get me to work by the easiest/quickest route. The secret being to get up and out of the house as early as possible, 6am would be fine. But leave it much later and it was a nightmare.........:cry:this was in a car back then, but I wouldn't attempt it now in a mh:Eeek:

Sadly being involved in a road traffic accident on the M25 on my way into London between Leatherhead and Guildford put paid to all the travelling to work:Sad:

Bill

9. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Now, let me think. Why were those posts there.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe to stop wide vehicles from going down that particular road.

[​IMG]

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

agreed Mo.

if it was a parking enforcement officer, to give the proper name, then they have no other rights but to issue parking tickets.

they have no more rights than Joe Public when it comes to directing traffic and cannot detain you, even mid ticket.

the original, old style traffic wardens had a few more rights....directing traffic under a PC's instruction etc. but parking enforcement is now a council's obligation...not the police's

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

last time i drove anything in London was over 25 years ago.......never had the urge, or need, to return in a vehicle.

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think the point is that the parking officer would not issue the ticket but would report the offence (just as any member of the public could) and TfL would issue the ticket. TfL probably have it all on CCTV anyway (just like they did when they said my Berlingo had driven in a bus lane - except their photo showed a Renault :BigGrin:)

13. camocam1

Do not doubt the posts were there for a reason BUT NO warning signs till I got to the posts and with the backed up traffic I could NOT turn round BUT what I did not mention was that there was a 7.5 tonne lory down the road so how did it get there
    Not saying I am in the right

14. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

15. MikeD

MikeD Funster

My local council

I live about twenty miles from London. Our local council decided to turn a two way street into a single way. They put up cameras and signage.

The signage was small and not easily seen and they were told the signage was inadequate and almost certainly illegal

It did not stop them issuing millions of pounds of fines to all and sundry

When it was proved in court the signage was illegal they had to refund the full fine monies. ( but they had only received a portion as the parking enforcement company kept a part of every fine)

The tax payer had to pay the rest

The moral of the story is the basxxrds were happy to take money anyway they could and honesty and morality did not feature in their plans.

London boroughs will be no different :Eeek: