gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
does anyone know if there's anywhere/anyone who keeps track of wild rabbits with mixy?

just i am seeing more and more of them with the classic signs of myxomatosis (swollen shut eyes leaking puss, lumps on the head, being out during the day etc) on my travels, and was wondering if there's anyone to report sightings to....
as in if a nationwide record is being kept of the outbreaks, and to warn pet owners about the danger areas etc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
DEFRA are the people to contact

Hotline 08459 33 55 77

However , I don't see it on their list on notifiable diseases .. see here. Link Removed

OP
OP
G

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Tar,

i figured no one would be keeping tabs on this orrible disease, just distresses me seeing so many bunnies affected,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Oct 4, 2009
Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Myxamatosis comes and goes in the Rabbit population. Probably, after a few good years the density of rabbits enables it to spread much easier. It appears to be a self regulating disease in effect.

They do die a horrible death. We take our dogs out late morning as we should not see any rabbits at that time. A couple of years ago, they killed a few rabbits because of Myxie. At least they had a swift and relatively painless death.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its never gone away .i remember seeing a rabbit in the early 60,s when i was young with it and its still around .not the rabbit but the deasese

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
It is passed from rabbit to rabbit by flea's so get an infected rabbit and introduce it to others problem solved no more rabbits an old farmers ploy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

coming from the fens we see a lot of this dreadful disease. It is non tranferable to humans but don't get scratched when handling for other obvious reasons. If you are unable to put it out of its misery yourself then take infected rabbit to a local vet - they must treat it by law; and free of charge as with any wild animal.

OP
OP
G

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
ahhh, didnt know about the 'free if wild' animals bit, will do that in future,

i know mixy was introduced to try and controll the epedemic numbers of rabits, but what a thing to introduce, just as bad as poison, or worse as with poison you can take it away,

i just hate seeing animals in distress, today me and helz were out in the canoe, and saw a fledgling pigeon in the canal struggeling to keep afloat,
i personaly hate pigeons, but paddled over and scooped it out of the water, checked it was ok and put it back on dry land to sort it's self out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back