VW's California Beach camper van comes up short

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by scotjimland, Oct 14, 2011.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The camper .. that's not a camper ?

[​IMG]

VW has come up with a new version of its *California camper van.

It’s called the California Beach and starts at £34,970.

That’s considerably less money than the full-on California motorhome – the only snag being that the Beach is essentially a *seven-seat people carrier with very flexible seating.

No cooker, fridge, sink or any other motorhome kit. I can’t really see the point myself.

Much better to buy a *second-hand *California with all the fancy trimmings, I reckon

• Like Like x 1
  2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Rampant Consumerism is running out of steam Jim.
    This new vehicle looks like a final desperate attempt by VW to rake in a last little bit of cash from anyone left who can afford to buy into the leisure and sports lifestyle offered by their over-priced California vehicles.
    Has anyone noticed the 'Think Blue' ad campaign? In the TV ad, they seem to be taking credit for inventing the VW Camper concept. Wasn't that done by Westfalia? Or is someone going to correct me?:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

westfalia are one of many converters of the vw . in my view possibly the worst of all the conversions is weestfalia. the early devons or the canterbury pitt . or before devon the j,p,whites of sidmouth did far better conversion.
    but i think its fair to say the vw splitscreen was the first mpv type vehicle of its type .
    renault like to think their espace was but its way behind .

4. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

So its not a camper van at all then, it a people carrier with a pop up roof....and a bloody expensive one at that. Cant see there been much of market for it really for that kind of dosh you can get a proper motorhome. :Doh:

5. Manxcat

Manxcat Funster

We have a 2010 Westfalia Ford conversion and we are very pleased with everything about it. The quality of materials and the layout has made quite a few of our motohome-owning friends envious......so there ! LOL !!

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi manxcat.glad you like yours. i have owned several different westies. even had one that was used in kenya on a safari park. but still prefer devon conversions . never liked holsworth or danbury either. but never mind . you could have bought a vw though not keen on transits hee hee . i traded in vw for years but now more jap . mitsy and a mazda bongo. have a vw lt and a vw t25 here but they are just resting. i never liked vw when they teamed up with ford and built the t4 and the transit together. didnt get any better when they built the lt along with merc sprinter. but thats life. cheers have loads of fun in your camper .

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Don't tell Buttons. it will break his heart:BigGrin:

8. buttons

buttons Funster

I can take you boys to the water but I cant make you drink. :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. buttons

buttons Funster

I agree to a point but there is a market for a people carrier with a high roof for standing up, no fridge or sink leaves more room for people.
    I think you could be becoming a bit of a Cali fan.:Wink:

• Like Like x 1