VW Transporter T4 High Top: Question About High Top Bed Space. (1 Viewer)

Sledgehammer

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Hello Everyone :Smile:

I am interested in DIY-converting a van into a camper and really like the VW Transporter T4 vans. I like the idea of a high top version (short wheelbase) and its potential for a roof bed space.

There seems to be a world shortage on any information regarding beds in these T4 high top campers, so I was wondering if any of you might be able to enlighten me.

First of all, how are the roof beds constructed and accessed? Do they have sliding boards that span the aperture into the high top? Despite searching extensively I haven't been able to find a single photograph of a T4 high top bed area! Every photograph I can find of an interior shows the roof space empty, with no upper floor.

The other thing I would like to find out is the dimensions of a High Top bed in a short wheelbase T4. I have read that they are a bit difficult to get into compared with the long wheelbase version.

Thanks very much,

Mike

:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi mike they are usually done by 3 or 4 boards that fold up then out on rails attached to the side walls at normal van roof height.Have a look at auto sleepers etc,at a show or dealers.Even if done on a tranny or something it will give you the general idea.Take a camera or phone with you :thumb: because you will forget a lot of niffty things they have / do :thumb::ROFLMAO: good luck and ask away :thumb:Obviously you will loose cupboard space in the roof area but gain a upper bed
terry
ps away for a couple of days but I am sure you will get plenty of answers meantime :ROFLMAO:

Mar 1, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Hi, ive got an f reg talbot express autosleeper with hitop, there were boards that pull out to make a bed that rested on a little ledge on the sides of the van. However it would barely fit 2 small children on, so my boyfriend put more of a wooden ledge on brackets down the sides and put two more boards in and now 2 average height people could sleep up there. Some vans have the bunks that are like hammocks, my vans becoming more like a home built all the time.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Hi

As another thought when we were doing a self build a few years ago we considered a canyilever type of set up on the lines of what you get above the cab in the Hymers it might be another option to consider if the high top does not give you enough height in its self
Neil

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
try these places/ the brickyard/ club 80-90 not t4 but some members run them this is about the t25 / and the t4 forum :thumb:

OP
OP
S

Sledgehammer

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for your replies everyone :Smile:

That must be what the metal tubes are for that I have seen running down either side of the roof in some photographs. They must be to rest the boards onto.

I like the idea of the High Top compared with an elevating roof as it doesn't look so obvious if you are sleeping in it, although it doesn't look as good as a standard roof height for non-camping use.

Thanks for the links as well, I'll have a look at those.

Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mike,most vw's have a rock & roll bed.The upper beds are to make them into 4 Berth / kids::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
S

Sledgehammer

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Thanks Terry. I have seen the rock and roll beds, which look ideal, but I was thinking of the roof bed area for possible guest use or extra storage.

There are some really nice looking van conversions out there. I have been getting lots of ideas!

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

4PLAY

Deleted User
If you contact Leisuredrive at Leisuredrive.co.uk you will find them very helpful and they probably sell what you are looking for. I have a VW Leisuredrive hightop but I dont have the roofbed.

OP
OP
S

Sledgehammer

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the link :Smile: That's a good site. I didn't know about them.

I'm still undecided about what type of roof would be best. I do like the idea of a high top though as it wouldn't be as obvious when you are camping for the night, compared with having to put a roof up on the extending types.

I think VW made factory high top vans didn't they? It's a bit confusing as there seem to be so many models and options, plus so many more DIY-modified ones that make it even more confusing!

Mike

:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back