VW T5 or T6 conversion ......... just for the weekend ? (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Would still chose the transit a friend of mine has a fully loaded one hes had loads of vws some of which where show vans. He reckons the new transit is the puppys plums but hes not so sure of the latest one that requires ad blue.
they are very good vans. sadly though let down by the security and especially the immobiliser. thats why so many get stolen

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Leisuredrive Vivante T5/T6 conversion has a loo, but no shower. My parents had one - lovely van, very well built, but they found it a bit too cramped in the end and switched to a Ducato-based PVC. But - if you've got your heart set on a T5/T6 then well worth a look, they do feel more spacious inside than many conversions.

Link Removed

Link Removed

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Would still chose the transit a friend of mine has a fully loaded one hes had loads of vws some of which where show vans. He reckons the new transit is the puppys plums but hes not so sure of the latest one that requires ad blue.
The transit looks nice but a lot of people want a camper van because of the overall size and height.
Sadly the transit height is above the magical 2 meters whereas the VW even with a pop top is below.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We are p/x Int our T5 California this week for a bigger panel van, but she has been great.

I looked at a lot of after market conversions, none came close to the quality or efficiency of the genuine thing.

Ours is the 180 DSG and it's a pleasure to drive. We are changing as we want to go further and been more self contained without having to make up the bed.

If you convert yourself go look at some conversions including the California.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Nice! and there's me thinking am I the only one to go smaller :D Can I ask what motivated you?
I'm going 7 metres to 5, and expect to be in it most of the time. Even at 5 metres it has a wetroom (loo, basin, shower) and 4 travelling seats. Too high for barriers but fits a 'normal' parking space.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve converted my sons t4 twice basic stuff the first time and pop top and rib bed the second

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I can definitely see the point. We couldn't afford to run 3 vehicles and needed a daily drive, something to go shopping, negotiate barriers etc and go away when work wasn't getting in the way.

We bought an ex rental LWB T5 and had it converted to our spec. Had it nearly 5yrs now and enjoyed every minute of that time, touring Cornwall to the Western Isles, Snowdonia to Norfolk and a trip to Germany. Both of us have no work commitments now so the wife bought an MX5, and although I briefly considered other motorhomes we'll be getting a 6m PVC soon, and the T5 will regrettably be for sale.

Heres my thoughts FWIW.

We looked at the California but it's SWB and the slider is on the off side, not good with a dog. Plus there's much better available from some of the more professional converters.

VW is the way to go, the after market is just so big. I don't think there is a Viano or Transit forum but the T4,5,6 forum isa massive and a mine of info. Try to get a well speced van to start with, even though ours was ex rental it has DSG box, Digital radio, electric mirrors, climate control, multifunction steering wheel and MFD. There's plenty of 'how to' info on the net for everything VW camper related, so you can do lots yourself. I fitted cruise control and VW hands free to mine.

SWB are more desirable and so more saleable as people think LWB is to long to park. I've never had a problem anywhere, and the extra space is really useful.

If you want to use it year round think about fitting a diesel heater

Built in loo's takes up valuable space, we have a porta potty.

It's more like camping than motor homing but I feel more affinity to camping anyway.

If you plan to have the satisfaction of at least doing some of it yourself, there's not reason you can't do it in stages and still have a useable van in between.

Most converters are happy to do the bits you don't feel able to do.

Sounds like you know and can live with the drawbacks, making bed etc so go for it!!!!

Van1.jpg
Van2.jpg
Van3.jpg
Van5.jpg
Van6.jpg
VW.jpg
Western Isles.jpg

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Please please please tell me about your canopy! What it is, where from, how it's fixed etc. It's EXACTLY what I want, with the ability to fix it to either side (I'll have 2 sliding doors) or the rear.

The one I have is a they make them for n/side and o/side, not cheap though. What is cheaper is a 'C' Channel but it's not so good looking or as versatile.

The canopy is an Isabella Shadow with the optional net front. Loads of sun canopies for those rails in various materials a colours but the Shadow is very good quality

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
As has been mentioned above, do have a rethink re the T5. Son had one which we converted in to a camper, a very basic camper. It was without doubt the worst vehicle the family has ever owned. If it could break or go wrong it did. They are just not reliable. I think I would look at just about any of the other similar sized vehicles available.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
As has been mentioned above, do have a rethink re the T5. Son had one which we converted in to a camper, a very basic camper. It was without doubt the worst vehicle the family has ever owned. If it could break or go wrong it did. They are just not reliable. I think I would look at just about any of the other similar sized vehicles available.
I've owned two, the first had 30k on it and I put another 30k on......no problems at all. The other was new and I put 60k on that, again with no problems. My mate runs Renault Trafics for his business and every one has had a gearbox at around 50k.
Ford Transits.......well, you might as well leave the door open with the keys in the ignition.
All manufacturers have problems some time or another.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We looked at the California but it's SWB and the slider is on the off side, not good with a dog. Plus there's much better available from some of the more professional converters.

SWB are more desirable and so more saleable as people think LWB is to long to park. I've never had a problem anywhere, and the extra space is really useful.
View attachment 172197 View attachment 172198 View attachment 172199 View attachment 172200 View attachment 172201 View attachment 172202 View attachment 172203

Firstly I really like the look of your van conversion, it looks far better than all of the ones we looked at.

I'm not entirely in agreement over your comment on the SWB v LWB and we would have gone with a LWB California if it had been available.

We have two dogs and two children and never had a problem with the sliding door being on the off side, I suppose it depends on where you are using it.

One of the big issues I had with several if not all of the aftermarket conversions is that as the driver I found I could hit my head on the overhead locker. Another second issue was that the drivers seat did not swivel. Most looked like they were ex traders vehicles fitted out with Ikea/B & Q formica boarding.

Having enjoyed a Cali for four years I would say it's downsides are it has a drab interior (grey) and it's a SWB.

We are changing to a 6.36 PVC with a French bed, toilet and shower, because we have grown tired of it taking 20 minutes to change from day to night mode and would like to be able to wild camp.

Each to their own and life would be drab if we all liked and wanted the same thing.

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
I loved my VW T5 conversion. Apart from when it broke down.

And boy did it break down! There was always something wrong with it. Always major items too (gearbox, cylinder head, injectors etc)

It does seems to be pot luck with these vans though.

I'd seriously consider looking at the alternatives. Even if it is just to re-affirm how much you want a T5 or T6.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
image.jpeg We had a T5 before the motorhome. Great fun for the weekends but a bit of an endurance test for 2 weeks when you get over 50! Big advantage to be able to park anywhere a car can vs the comfort and space on site the motorhome provides.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Firstly I really like the look of your van conversion, it looks far better than all of the ones we looked at.

I'm not entirely in agreement over your comment on the SWB v LWB and we would have gone with a LWB California if it had been available.

We have two dogs and two children and never had a problem with the sliding door being on the off side, I suppose it depends on where you are using it.

One of the big issues I had with several if not all of the aftermarket conversions is that as the driver I found I could hit my head on the overhead locker. Another second issue was that the drivers seat did not swivel. Most looked like they were ex traders vehicles fitted out with Ikea/B & Q formica boarding.

Having enjoyed a Cali for four years I would say it's downsides are it has a drab interior (grey) and it's a SWB.

We are changing to a 6.36 PVC with a French bed, toilet and shower, because we have grown tired of it taking 20 minutes to change from day to night mode and would like to be able to wild camp.

Each to their own and life would be drab if we all liked and wanted the same thing.

Good points.

I meet loads of VW van owners and and the SWB is by far the most popular, most say because it's easier to park etc, misplaced I think. When I asked converters why their show vans were mainly SWB their reply was that SWB were easier to sell when the time came to move them on.

Maybe my aversion to the o/side door and a dog is misplaced, but I felt that it's sometimes unsafe to have the door opening onto a busy road. On the n/side I never have to worry about where I stop.

The guys who did mine let me have or not have whatever I wanted, within reason, so no head hitting. The slide out coffee machine is something I asked for and they incorporated it. Drivers swivel was an option but not really needed with just the two of us. There are some very good small conversion companies around, but I feel they are outweighed by the Ikea/B&Q mob you mention.

Yes the Cali isn't very inspiring, it's drab and and not very individual, although no doubt it's very functional.

You're at a similar point to us, although we're going to 6m so it will fit on the drive. My wife is looking forward to onboard toilet/shower, and we both won't miss the day/night change over. I think we will miss the T5 generally, it will be sad to see it go, we'll look back on the last 5yrs with fond memories. Enjoy.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
View attachment 172248 We had a T5 before the motorhome. Great fun for the weekends but a bit of an endurance test for 2 weeks when you get over 50! Big advantage to be able to park anywhere a car can vs the comfort and space on site the motorhome provides.

No stamina then:D Both myself and the wife are in our 60's and we've just given way :D2

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009

We read all about this at the time we bought ours and have to say we have not had any issues with build quality of any aspect of the California

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
I'm certain there will be plently of owners of T5/6's well over 50 who manage perfectly well in their vans and to be honest there are things we miss about ours. We have no regrets about buying one in the first place as it got us into the lifestyle and we used it to the full. There just came a point when we had more time free and wanted a bit more space and comfort. The motorhome is nowhere near as cool but it is much more comfortable.

May 5, 2016
Barnstaple
Funster No
MH
VW T5 LWB 2.5Tdi
Exp
10 years
I can definitely see the point. We couldn't afford to run 3 vehicles and needed a daily drive, something to go shopping, negotiate barriers etc and go away when work wasn't getting in the way.

We bought an ex rental LWB T5 and had it converted to our spec. Had it nearly 5yrs now and enjoyed every minute of that time, touring Cornwall to the Western Isles, Snowdonia to Norfolk and a trip to Germany. Both of us have no work commitments now so the wife bought an MX5, and although I briefly considered other motorhomes we'll be getting a 6m PVC soon, and the T5 will regrettably be for sale.

Heres my thoughts FWIW.

VW is the way to go, the after market is just so big. I don't think there is a Viano or Transit forum but the T4,5,6 forum isa massive and a mine of info. Try to get a well speced van to start with, even though ours was ex rental it has DSG box, Digital radio, electric mirrors, climate control, multifunction steering wheel and MFD. There's plenty of 'how to' info on the net for everything VW camper related, so you can do lots yourself. I fitted cruise control and VW hands free to mine.

If you want to use it year round think about fitting a diesel heater

Built in loo's takes up valuable space, we have a porta potty.

It's more like camping than motor homing but I feel more affinity to camping anyway.

If you plan to have the satisfaction of at least doing some of it yourself, there's not reason you can't do it in stages and still have a useable van in between.

Most converters are happy to do the bits you don't feel able to do.

Sounds like you know and can live with the drawbacks, making bed etc so go for it!!!!

View attachment 172197 View attachment 172198 View attachment 172199 View attachment 172200 View attachment 172201 View attachment 172202 View attachment 172203

Loves this! So bright and airy! Love the Nespresso too! I've just been in my T5 measuring, but alas, no space, unless it sits on the worktop.....

Alistair

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Loves this! So bright and airy! Love the Nespresso too! I've just been in my T5 measuring, but alas, no space, unless it sits on the worktop.....

Alistair

Thank you for your comment(y)

When someone commented on our T5 compared with another from the same converter they said ours was "muesli, croissants and coffee" and the other 'bacon, eggs, black pudding and tea"

Just shows how versatile the T5 is and individual you can be with the same VW builders panel van.

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Thank you for your comment(y)

When someone commented on our T5 compared with another from the same converter they said ours was "muesli, croissants and coffee" and the other 'bacon, eggs, black pudding and tea"

Just shows how versatile the T5 is and individual you can be with the same VW builders panel van.

I've always loved the Three Bridges conversions. Very high quality. I think they were the first to put a shower in the tailgate too?

I went for the bacon and black pudding option with mine. Function over form really. But that's all I could stretch to at the time.

There are some really good converters out there at the moment like New Wave, Autohaus etc

May 5, 2016
Barnstaple
Funster No
MH
VW T5 LWB 2.5Tdi
Exp
10 years
Here's mine.....just wish it wasn't so boring grey inside.....the kitchen was fitted 8 years ago, I have recently had the upholstery redone, hot/cold water, shower, BBQ point, eberspacher, solar, skylights all recently done...

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/aogrady/media/Mobile Uploads/2017-06/DSC_7982_zpsybgkwj18.jpg.html

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/aogrady/media/Mobile Uploads/2017-06/DSC_7904_zps6pr64w9d.jpg.html

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/ao.../IMG_20170521_091617_910_zpshdatceay.jpg.html

Alistair

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back