VW T5 or T6 conversion ......... just for the weekend ? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Having sold our Ducato based Globecar last March we still find ourselves wanting a 'weekend toy' to play with.

Whereas before we had plenty of time and generally toured for up to 12 weeks at a time, we are now committed to work Monday to Friday but we do have every weekend off :) (by this I mean my previous job involved multiple shifts, nights, weekends etc).

This time we want something that is easier to keep on the road, more nippy around town and narrow lanes etc and better suited to being our only vehicle.

I have in mind converting a VW T5 so that we can make it just the way we want it. Not worried about the lack of standing room or having to make up the bed each night. For a weekend getaway we don't need a shower room however a loo is desirable (but compromising!).

I plan to keep the bulkhead and keep the 3 seats in the front so everything 'camper style' will need to be squeezed into a very small space!

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this sort of thing, your views on the 'pros and cons' etc.

Anyone who can not see the point need not reply ;)

Thank you :D

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Sold our motorhome, and bought a Toyota Alphard, which we are having converted at the moment.
Not the luxury of the motorhome, but we can travel about and park in normal spaces.
Malc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Having sold our Ducato based Globecar last March we still find ourselves wanting a 'weekend toy' to play with.

Whereas before we had plenty of time and generally toured for up to 12 weeks at a time, we are now committed to work Monday to Friday but we do have every weekend off :) (by this I mean my previous job involved multiple shifts, nights, weekends etc).

This time we want something that is easier to keep on the road, more nippy around town and narrow lanes etc and better suited to being our only vehicle.

I have in mind converting a VW T5 so that we can make it just the way we want it. Not worried about the lack of standing room or having to make up the bed each night. For a weekend getaway we don't need a shower room however a loo is desirable (but compromising!).

I plan to keep the bulkhead and keep the 3 seats in the front so everything 'camper style' will need to be squeezed into a very small space!

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this sort of thing, your views on the 'pros and cons' etc.

Depends what you want to spend but the California is the crème de la crème of VWs
I could go on for hours about it's excellence but at under 2m it will go under height barriers and most multi stories. It will fit into any normal car park space and the Hydro electric operated roof is a pleasure to use. With a roll out awning it is good for long and short stays and commuting. (y)

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Sold our new Bailey 740 7.4m and bought a new t5 panel van converted with the aid of our son who does this for a living fitted hightop and u shaped lounge can go anywhere and stay wild or on site best option for us also tow a unicorn caravan for longer stays I say go for it
Check out the conversion DUB-LINEcamperconversions

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi @Chockswahay .. I've gone the other way and bought a coach built for more comfort and room... spending an ever increasing amount of time in the van that became important..
My camper (which I would sell but unlikely to get what I need to come anywhere near getting something back on build costs) is based on a mwb high top transit ..
the kids are however making good use of it now :)
I'll attach some photos just in case your interested lol..
I've spent up to 6 weeks away in it at a time but no dedicated toilet or bathroom... it has bunks . Porta poti external shower etc..
20160915_112032.jpg

20160915_112126.jpg

20160915_112158.jpg

Andy

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Can't be much help I'm afraid but at Peterborough came across this conversion, which to me looked very neat indeed - there may be some aspects that you can incorporate into your conversion.

Swmbo had to pursuade me that we didn't need 2 MH but it really made my heart flutter!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
... For a weekend getaway we don't need a shower room however a loo is desirable (but compromising!)....

We have a Berlingo Car and I've often though we could convert this to use for those quick getaways. It seems to have just enough space for living and a reasonable sized bed but nowhere for a loo.
As we have always had a loo in our motorhomes, I wonder if this would be such a big problem as I imagine?

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I bought a Dethleffs for more room and have just sold my T5 as it was sat on the drive all year doing nothing.
Love the VWs but wouldn't consider a California personally. I had mine built to my spec and it worked out a lot more expensive than a Cali but it's what I wanted.
I will buy another T5/6 for an everyday car and might just put a full width Rib bed in it for the one nighters
I totally understand the size thing.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'd also have a wee look at The Mercedes Viano as an alternative. Keeping your options open can only be a bonus. The VW vehicles are really pricey & in my personal opinion the prices are kept artificially high by people wanting to buy into the VW streed cred, but the Viano is a better van in almost every other way. One word of caution though, Mercedes are more susceptible to tin worm than they should be. Waxoiling is a good idea for whichever vehicle you buy. It'd be a shame to spend money converting a vehicle only for the value to be lost due to corrosion.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
A few interesting answers, thank you :)

I do agree, VW's are expensive .......... but in reality more desirable (hence the higher price 2nd hand) and easier to sell. Also there is a massive resource of VW camper kit that just can not be matched by the other makes.

I agree, VW is small (exactly what I want).

Keep the (useful) comments coming! :D

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Sold our motorhome, and bought a Toyota Alphard, which we are having converted at the moment.
Not the luxury of the motorhome, but we can travel about and park in normal spaces.
Malc
Wow, new or used?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Sold our new Bailey 740 7.4m and bought a new t5 panel van converted with the aid of our son who does this for a living fitted hightop and u shaped lounge can go anywhere and stay wild or on site best option for us also tow a unicorn caravan for longer stays I say go for it
Check out the conversion DUB-LINEcamperconversions
Nice! and there's me thinking am I the only one to go smaller :D Can I ask what motivated you?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Some ideas or inspiration on here?
http://www.bilbos.com/

An interesting website Robert. The VW is a handsome beastie. The ready availability of conversion equipment is attractive too. Chocswayhay hit's the nail on the head when mentioning resale value, yes purchase prices are high, but its a bit like the Passat versus the Mondeo arguement. The Mondeo has the edge IMHO on the drivability front & there's very little to choose on reliability but if you want the higher residual value it's the Passat (smoking issues aside) every time. Exclusivity has its benefits.
A very good example of debate on this forum helping everyone in one way or another.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Sitting on a French Aire having lunch, now been roaming Europe for four weeks in a LWB high roof T5 selfbuild and there is another two weeks to go!

This is the fourth VW that we have built ourselves, one T4 and three t5s all LWB high roof models.

If you go along the selfbuild route then feel free to PM me if you think I can help. The one we are sitting now in is three years old today, well that's whet the warranty date said and it is likely to be for sale in the next six or so months. It's the one on my avatar, that picture was taken at Port Beni last summer.

Maybe it will be followed by a T6 of a similar design but we are waiting to see what the new VW Crafter looks like, it's launched at the Hanover commercial vehicle show in a couple of weeks time.

Rod

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Nice! and there's me thinking am I the only one to go smaller :D Can I ask what motivated you?
We loved the large new MH but found ourselves on site without transport we did electric bikes until wife had full knee replacement so it was small car to tow or caravan and towcar so opted for t5 conversion and caravan no regrets at all we have family car but will consider selling and using the t5 may not suit everyone but works for us tempted by a lwb t6 to convert next

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
IMG_3293.JPG
I went from a autotrail 696g back to a caravan,but missed the ease of the mh for weekends away.
I have now bought a Mercedes Vito fully converted by excell with a pop top and we love it,we can get under barriers and easy for stealth camping, if we want to go away for longer it tows the caravan comfortably.we have now sold our car and it makes a perfect runabout

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would say a good chat with @Terry is a good idea. He has built several excellent conversions including as I recall a fiat scudo

T5 Mark

Free Member
Sep 30, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp

T5 Mark

Free Member
Sep 30, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
I've just converted a panel Van T5.
Pics are attached

20160911_193400.jpg
20160911_193400.jpg
20160925_182252.jpg

Attachments

• 20160818_181930.jpg
    20160818_181930.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20160904_103142.jpg
    20160904_103142.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Wow! that looks great :) well done (y)

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I think your be making a mistake keeping bulkhead room wise the new transit would be my choice just to be different from the vw crowd

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think your be making a mistake keeping bulkhead room wise the new transit would be my choice just to be different from the vw crowd
but the transit is way too easy to steal

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
but the transit is way too easy to steal
Would still chose the transit a friend of mine has a fully loaded one hes had loads of vws some of which where show vans. He reckons the new transit is the puppys plums but hes not so sure of the latest one that requires ad blue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back