VW T5 or T6 conversion ......... just for the weekend ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chockswahay, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Having sold our Ducato based Globecar last March we still find ourselves wanting a 'weekend toy' to play with.

Whereas before we had plenty of time and generally toured for up to 12 weeks at a time, we are now committed to work Monday to Friday but we do have every weekend off :) (by this I mean my previous job involved multiple shifts, nights, weekends etc).

This time we want something that is easier to keep on the road, more nippy around town and narrow lanes etc and better suited to being our only vehicle.

I have in mind converting a VW T5 so that we can make it just the way we want it. Not worried about the lack of standing room or having to make up the bed each night. For a weekend getaway we don't need a shower room however a loo is desirable (but compromising!).

I plan to keep the bulkhead and keep the 3 seats in the front so everything 'camper style' will need to be squeezed into a very small space!

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this sort of thing, your views on the 'pros and cons' etc.

Anyone who can not see the point need not reply ;)

Thank you :D

2. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Looking forward to a blog and Photos!!!(y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. malheg

malheg Funster

Sold our motorhome, and bought a Toyota Alphard, which we are having converted at the moment.
    Not the luxury of the motorhome, but we can travel about and park in normal spaces.
    Malc

• Like Like x 1
  4. buttons

buttons Funster

Depends what you want to spend but the California is the crème de la crème of VWs
    I could go on for hours about it's excellence but at under 2m it will go under height barriers and most multi stories. It will fit into any normal car park space and the Hydro electric operated roof is a pleasure to use. With a roll out awning it is good for long and short stays and commuting. (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. timetochill

timetochill Funster

Sold our new Bailey 740 7.4m and bought a new t5 panel van converted with the aid of our son who does this for a living fitted hightop and u shaped lounge can go anywhere and stay wild or on site best option for us also tow a unicorn caravan for longer stays I say go for it
    Check out the conversion DUB-LINEcamperconversions

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. andy63

andy63 Funster

Hi @Chockswahay .. I've gone the other way and bought a coach built for more comfort and room... spending an ever increasing amount of time in the van that became important..
    My camper (which I would sell but unlikely to get what I need to come anywhere near getting something back on build costs) is based on a mwb high top transit ..
    the kids are however making good use of it now :)
    I'll attach some photos just in case your interested lol..
    I've spent up to 6 weeks away in it at a time but no dedicated toilet or bathroom... it has bunks . Porta poti external shower etc..
    20160915_112032.jpg
    20160915_112126.jpg
    20160915_112158.jpg

Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Can't be much help I'm afraid but at Peterborough came across this conversion, which to me looked very neat indeed - there may be some aspects that you can incorporate into your conversion.

Swmbo had to pursuade me that we didn't need 2 MH but it really made my heart flutter!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

We have a Berlingo Car and I've often though we could convert this to use for those quick getaways. It seems to have just enough space for living and a reasonable sized bed but nowhere for a loo.
    As we have always had a loo in our motorhomes, I wonder if this would be such a big problem as I imagine?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rob Turner

Rob Turner Funster

image.jpeg image.jpeg I bought a Dethleffs for more room and have just sold my T5 as it was sat on the drive all year doing nothing.
    Love the VWs but wouldn't consider a California personally. I had mine built to my spec and it worked out a lot more expensive than a Cali but it's what I wanted.
    I will buy another T5/6 for an everyday car and might just put a full width Rib bed in it for the one nighters
    I totally understand the size thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

@Rob Turner Is your T5 picture at Camping Jungfrau by any chance?

11. Rob Turner

Rob Turner Funster

It was yes, think that one was a couple of years ago.
    We go every year for at least a week.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

Thought so. We love that location and all the walking opportunities with cable cars and trains.

13. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

I'd also have a wee look at The Mercedes Viano as an alternative. Keeping your options open can only be a bonus. The VW vehicles are really pricey & in my personal opinion the prices are kept artificially high by people wanting to buy into the VW streed cred, but the Viano is a better van in almost every other way. One word of caution though, Mercedes are more susceptible to tin worm than they should be. Waxoiling is a good idea for whichever vehicle you buy. It'd be a shame to spend money converting a vehicle only for the value to be lost due to corrosion.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

A few interesting answers, thank you :)

I do agree, VW's are expensive .......... but in reality more desirable (hence the higher price 2nd hand) and easier to sell. Also there is a massive resource of VW camper kit that just can not be matched by the other makes.

I agree, VW is small (exactly what I want).

Keep the (useful) comments coming! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Wow, new or used?

16. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Nice! and there's me thinking am I the only one to go smaller :D Can I ask what motivated you?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

18. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

An interesting website Robert. The VW is a handsome beastie. The ready availability of conversion equipment is attractive too. Chocswayhay hit's the nail on the head when mentioning resale value, yes purchase prices are high, but its a bit like the Passat versus the Mondeo arguement. The Mondeo has the edge IMHO on the drivability front & there's very little to choose on reliability but if you want the higher residual value it's the Passat (smoking issues aside) every time. Exclusivity has its benefits.
    A very good example of debate on this forum helping everyone in one way or another.

19. rod_vw

rod_vw Funster

Sitting on a French Aire having lunch, now been roaming Europe for four weeks in a LWB high roof T5 selfbuild and there is another two weeks to go!

This is the fourth VW that we have built ourselves, one T4 and three t5s all LWB high roof models.

If you go along the selfbuild route then feel free to PM me if you think I can help. The one we are sitting now in is three years old today, well that's whet the warranty date said and it is likely to be for sale in the next six or so months. It's the one on my avatar, that picture was taken at Port Beni last summer.

Maybe it will be followed by a T6 of a similar design but we are waiting to see what the new VW Crafter looks like, it's launched at the Hanover commercial vehicle show in a couple of weeks time.

Rod

20. timetochill

timetochill Funster

We loved the large new MH but found ourselves on site without transport we did electric bikes until wife had full knee replacement so it was small car to tow or caravan and towcar so opted for t5 conversion and caravan no regrets at all we have family car but will consider selling and using the t5 may not suit everyone but works for us tempted by a lwb t6 to convert next

• Like Like x 1